Design Addict

Cart

Help identifying fi...

Help identifying fixings for sofa attributed to Hans Olsen for Vatne Mobler, Norway  

RSS

nboydell
(@nboydell)
08/01/2022 1:45 pm  

Hello to Design Addict forums members.

I am new to the forum and I am hoping that the collective expertise of members may be able to help me in my search for parts for a Rosewood sofa widely attributed to Hans Olsen for Vatne Mobler of Norway.

To explain. We recently moved house and removed the brass screw-in fixing bolts for transit. Over the holiday period our new home was broken in to, and an antique pot we were storing the fixing bolts in was stolen. We are now unable to re-fix the legs/sofa ends to the body of the sofa because they are missing. We are devastated as we love this amazing piece of furniture and beautiful design.

Current/modern bolt fixing sizes (M3, M5 etc.) do not appear to match. My husband thinks there's a strong chance the fixings were machined by Vatner Mobler specifically for the furniture range, rather than using a ‘standard' fixing. I have contacted the sellers of one of the sofa’s in the US and they have very kindly offered to help by sending send dimensions and images of the fixings. They think the fixings are likely to be metric sizes (M4), though my husband is much less hopeful. 

Is anyone with expertise in this area able to point us in the direction of someone who can help us to identify the closest equivalent bolt/fixing type?

Thank you so much in advance,

Nicola

1641645952-IMG_20220108_101100626.jpg
This topic was modified 2 years ago 2 times by nboydell

tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
09/01/2022 4:29 pm  

@nboydell, It might help to mention where in the world you are located!

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
09/01/2022 5:11 pm  

@nboydell. First off this sofa was designed by Knut Saeter, Model 934 and manufactured by Vatne. Circa 1962 ,with some variations to shape of armrest in the following years.

If you post your query on this Norwegian Forum someone might be able to give you the info you are looking for.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mobelhistorie/

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
11/01/2022 3:54 am  

I bet you the bolts are imperial size.  Lots of tooling that the Scandinavians used back then was not brand new and it was in imperial. It is something of a common misconception that because the furniture was made in Europe it used metric everything. 

ReplyQuote
ja.keegan
(@ja-keegan)
11/01/2022 12:37 pm  

My wife is @nboydell and we are both new to the forum. Somehow @nboydell has (inadvertently) made a mistake when posting on the forum for the first time, and has managed to get herself banned and so cannot reply – hence my message.
Thanks to you all for your responses, very helpful.

@tktoo2 we live in Scotland!

@lexi thanks for the information and clarification about the designer, model and the suggestion on where to seek further expertise. It may be odd in 2022 to say this, but neither of us has ever signed up to Facebook and so sadly cannot post on that Norwegian Forum.

@leif-ericson this chimes with my thinking on the matter. We are planning to purchase a thread finder with metric and imperial sizes and use this to try and identify fittings that may work.

On a separate note (and apologies in advance if this is inappropriate way to post this question) but @herringbone are you able to pass on advice for to me to give to my wife about how to resolve her being ‘banned’?

Thanks again to you all,

John

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
11/01/2022 8:53 pm  

@ja-keegan Hey John, yes of course. But to be honest, I don’t believe she was banned. It’s really not that easy to get banned here, not even for the most annoying bots around. But sometimes for what ever reason the system tells you that you have been banned. I don’t know why that is but I had it a few times. I just ignored it, logged in and it worked perfectly. Maybe she just tries again. If it really doesn’t work, let me know. 

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register