From 1919 to 1921 Jean Prouvé trained as a blacksmith and in 1923 he opened his first workshop in Nancy where he designed modern steel chairs. In the early fifties, he designed a series of furniture in wood and metal. ‘Les Ateliers Jean Prouvé’ attracted many young architects, who joined his factory. In 1950, he received the ‘Légion d’Honneur’ and many other awards. A few years later, he abandoned furniture design in favor of architecture. He collaborated with Le Corbusier and Pierre Jeanneret.