Cart

bypass sliding door...

bypass sliding door tracks  

RSS

catpaw
(@catpaw)
18/01/2022 6:43 pm  

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and hoping someone can provide information on MCM bypass sliding door tracks. I'd like to make a new set of sliding doors for a cabinet (the top portion of a two-piece set?) that was repurposed as a TV stand by someone before it came into my possession. The original doors are missing, and wood trim was glued over the bypass sliding door tracks. I successfully removed the trim, only to discover the top track is gone. The 1/4" plastic bottom track is there and in good condition.

I purchased a new set of 1/4" Knape & Vogt plastic tracks to replace the missing top track. The top piece of the new set is roughly 5/8" deep. The bottom is 3/8".

Here's the concern: The top groove on the cabinet is the same depth as the bottom groove, and only the shallower of the two new tracks fits without hanging below the lip of the cabinet. Is it typical of vintage MCM furniture to have the same shallow tracks top and bottom? Will doors function properly without the extra space provided by a deeper track at the top? Does this determine the type of material that can be used for the doors (e.g. glass)?

Sincere thanks for any and all information provided.

1642527793-cabinet-front.jpg

tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
19/01/2022 10:39 pm  

I'd go ahead and use the deeper upper track. They're made that way to make the sliding door installation a bit easier (dimensional tolerance less critical).

So it protrudes a little bit. They are made of brown/tan-colored plastic, no?  Mounted recessed from the front edge on the underside of the top, it'll always be in a shadow. No one will ever see it at that height unless they're on the floor and, if that's where your guests end up, they'll be too drunk to notice anyway!

ReplyQuote
catpaw
(@catpaw)
19/01/2022 11:06 pm  

Good point, tktoo2! I'll try it and see if anyone notices 😀 Thank you!

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register