Design Addict

Cart

Can separated teak ...

Can separated teak pieces on table be repaired?  

RSS

chelle
(@chelle)
Reputable Member
23/12/2021 6:37 pm  

This is a solid teak table top on a piece I'm considering buying. The two pieces in the center are coming apart a bit. Can it be repaired by sanding it down, or some other method? Thanks.

1640281061-s-l1600.jpg
This topic was modified 2 years ago by chelle

Topic Tags
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
23/12/2021 8:59 pm  

Looks like the gap extends deeply enough into the joint so it will still be there even if you sand the halves into plane (flat).

For repairing split glue joints in solid tabletops like this, best practice for permanent results is to disassemble the table, split the top along the failed seam, joint mating surfaces, re-glue the top, reassemble the table, and refinish.

ReplyQuote
chelle
(@chelle)
Reputable Member
23/12/2021 9:06 pm  

Thank you. Taking it apart and re-joining is definitely beyond my skill level. So are you saying you think sanding it flat would only be a temporary fix, and it would keep expanding and do that again? Or are you saying it would still show even if sanded?

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
23/12/2021 10:49 pm  

Looks to me that the split will still be visible after sanding flat. The glue joint has failed due to either movement caused by water/moisture exposure or internal stress in the wood, or, more likely, both. You could sand it flat and fill any remaining gap with wood filler of some sort, but that approach rarely lasts, IME.

ReplyQuote
chelle
(@chelle)
Reputable Member
24/12/2021 3:07 am  

OK, thank you. I guess it isn't in the cards then!

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register