George Nelson Execu...

George Nelson Executive desk leg question  

RSS

khus
 khus
(@khus)
Reputable Member
22/12/2021 4:59 am  

I am trying to restore a couple of legs on my desk. They are about 6 inches tall. Are they stainless steel or chrome plated? If they are stainless can they be polished up to remove the mild pitting. Anyone had success with this?

Thanks,

Khus 

tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
22/12/2021 5:56 pm  

Try a magnet. If it sticks, they're plated. If it doesn't, likely stainless or another alloy. Some SS alloys will attract a magnet, so this test is not necessarily definitive. Alternately, you could pry a floor glide glide from the bottom to see if there's surface rust on the inside.

ReplyQuote
khus
 khus
(@khus)
Reputable Member
23/12/2021 3:51 am  

Photo attached for better ID. Did test with a magnet and it adheres.   Thanks, Khus

1640228522-542F6D7D-CBB4-4FE0-AC2E-5B60C1EA90A1.jpeg

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
23/12/2021 4:22 pm  

@khus, Appears to be a brushed finish and, to complicate things perhaps unnecessarily, possibly lacquer over bare mild steel.

Is there evidence of rust on the top of the mounting flange?

Either way, I'd probably just use #0000 steel wool with a slurry of baking soda/water and rub gently parallel to the direction of the brushed finish, rinse and dry thoroughly, and maybe respray with compatible lacquer. Don't go too crazy. A little pitting and/or discoloration is considered normal, honest patina on vintage pieces.

ReplyQuote
khus
 khus
(@khus)
Reputable Member
23/12/2021 5:35 pm  

Thanks tkt, good ideas. Yes, it is a brushed satin finish. There is no rust on the top side of the flange as I suppose it has been protected against the wood, but the bottom side of the flange does have some. I agree, a little patina is ok. Mostly want to shore them up to prevent further decay. However, I do have two out of eight that are a bit more troublesome in appearance. Will see if I can bring them back or check into re-plating. I have had many items re-chromed, but always with a mirror finish. Just checked the website of the place I have used and it appears they do a satin finish. I do have a reproduction Herman Miller catalog from 1952. While they give good detail on the wood finishes and pulls, when they list the legs they just say, "metal."

tktoo2 liked
ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register