Moller chair identi...

Moller chair identification  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
18/06/2021 4:50 pm  

@wesemael I am completely not familiar with the expertise of the authors so I would have to take your word for it.  I will say that knowing the design work of Finn Juhl rather well, it is shocking how many inaccuracies and falsehoods there are in the books written about him, contemporary and even the Esbjørn Hort book (and Esbjørn was there and in the industry at the time, although I think perhaps he was intentionally modifying the history).  

I for one, would really like to see a piece of vintage documentation showing that Arne Hovmand Olsen either licensed the 71 design or re-interpreted it for production by Fristho.  My interest is largely in how that would reveal the true history of the design and a strange phenomenon in the world back then when factory owners like Niels Møller took over credit for designs.  There are a handful of known instances I documented on this forum years ago.  Poul Jeppesen, Charles France, and Niels Møller are examples, off the top of my head, who appear to have done this.  

One of the things I notice is that the Inger Klingenberg chair is named IK, which must be a reference to her initials.   So why is the WB chair not the AHO chair or perhaps the HO chair, or something that is a reference to Arne Hovmand Olsen’s initials?   That feels unexplained.  And the same can be said for the other chairs in there…

To rely on a contemporary book in the absence of any vintage documentation would always leave a shadow of doubt over this and any conclusion that could be drawn from it.  

The Oda chair was not designed by Nanna Ditzel. The Clam was not designed by Philip Arctander. The Madsen & Schubell chairs produced on license by Bovenkamp were not designed by Bender Madsen & Ejner Larsen.  I could go on and on and on like this; the point being that all of these credits were created fairly contemporarily and then they take on the veneer of truth and people put them in books.  It has become necessary in cases of doubt to be sure.  

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
18/06/2021 5:34 pm  

@leif well i am not going to friesland to chek the catalogues And i dont know enough of danish furniture to compare the fristho one with the moller one by image only You could contact tresoar  yourself since the fristho catalogus are in their archive. and just mauling often works I dont doubt this book nor the BONAS series about dutch designers whereas i agree and doubt other books I am quite aware off false identification wich i dislike  and try to help resolve, (the bovenkamp discussion for example,) partly due to autistic caracter tread. 

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
19/06/2021 12:22 am  

You are amazing, @wesemael! I own two chairs which I got for free from a friend, they were heavily damaged and it took a while to restore them. They’re nice chairs, but I never managed to ID them. Now it turns out that they are Fristho EJ chairs. I always believed they were German production. Thanks, mate!

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

wesemael liked
ReplyQuote
Hi.alecdavis
(@hi-alecdavis)
19/06/2021 1:09 am  

This was incredibly informative, @leif-Ericson and @wesemael! Thanks for helping solve my mystery. It almost looks like the chairs I bought are a “hybrid” of the Møller 75 and the Fristho EJ.

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
19/06/2021 10:48 am  

@Hi.alecdavis dont you think they look or are? the chairs around the table my 3 picture or these https://www.vntg.com/151290/set-of-4-vintage-design-dining-chairs-by-fristho-1960s/

the EJ is a lot finer and thinner

fristho did not produce that much that there is a unknown hybrid one

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
19/06/2021 10:59 am  

@Herringbone  thanks I have a excellent source in the frisho book 😉 

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
19/06/2021 12:43 pm  
Posted by: Hi.alecdavis

This was incredibly informative, @leif-Ericson and @wesemael! Thanks for helping solve my mystery. It almost looks like the chairs I bought are a “hybrid” of the Møller 75 and the Fristho EJ.

I feel like we read two different threads... Is your mystery solved? We're confident it's Fristho (I was at the start of the thread) but we still don't know who actually designed it. It might always remain a mystery in fairness.

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
19/06/2021 1:34 pm  

it will even if it is known its by the fritsho team it then still unclear by whom as in the EJ chair for example both seen as by bontebal and the team in ctalogues and advertisement out off the period. the book discusses this uncertainty It is certainly not by Hovmand Olsen or other danish/international designers hired by fristho given the listings in the book (based on catalogues etc)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register