Design Addict

Cart

Chair identificatio...

Chair identification - chairs seen in Killing Eve!  

RSS

harreyno
(@harreyno)
16/06/2021 11:03 am  

Hey everyone, 

Can anyone help me identify the chairs that are seen on set in the TV series Killing Eve, in Carolyn's kitchen!  I love the design but despite extensive searches I haven't been able to figure out who they are designed and made by.

Thanks for your help!

1623834187-Carolyns-House-from-Killing-Eve-kitchen.jpg

_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
16/06/2021 4:17 pm  

I saw that episode too and wondered about those chairs.  They could be (?) one of the several mid-20th century reinterpretation of the classic Chiavari chairs, the most famous one is Gio Ponti's earlier Leggera and the later Superleggera & both are still being produced today by Cassina.  I looked at my only book on Chiavari chairs (Le sedie de leggere di Chiavari by Franco Cassoni) which is a survey of many examples from traditional to modern and I did not find those chairs in your image.  There is another modem reinterpretation that I recently saw that is still being produced is the Tigullina chair both with or without arms. 

I was also impressed with those chairs in your image, the designer/manufacturer besides keeping the traditional roots of their inspiration, they also reduced the parts of the chair to the most basic essential to produce a strong and lightweight chair that looks original in its own. 

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
16/06/2021 5:52 pm  

The Italian company Eligo has a collection of Chiavari chairs 

1623858724-Eligo.jpg

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
16/06/2021 11:33 pm  

Little reminiscent of a Rastad and Relling Bambi dining chairs too, if we're looking from the Scandinavian angle.

ReplyQuote
harreyno
(@harreyno)
17/06/2021 2:25 am  

Thanks for the comments, some good observations!

I find them quite captivating - combining a mixture of traditional and contemporary elements, they appear impossibly light.

How do they manage to stay strong with such refined legs and no stretchers - perhaps the curve in the front leg adds to their strength?  And also very nice how the top rail appears seamlessly connected to the rear legs.

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
18/06/2021 11:10 am  

i find them as by locsin international furniture  nameoff thechair belini

http://www.locsin.com/product-details.php?id=239

https://www.facebook.com/Locsin-International-Furniture-Philippines-282337931821714/?tn-str=k%2AF

designed probably by val padilla

https://www.invisedge.com.au/product/8-padilla-dining/  

mark737 and lexi liked
ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
18/06/2021 3:20 pm  

@wesemael. Thank you for the links. 

Did a quick search and I see these chairs were sold by Conran in the UK. No wonder they are familiar !! Conran and Habitat were the first searches I did a few days ago but did not find the chairs. Any of these chairs, that were on selling platforms, are now SOLD OUT. No surprise, given the popularity of "Killing Eve".

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
18/06/2021 3:53 pm  

@lexi thanks i saw the jasper conran connection mentioned by dealers  but no prooff  and could not find it in the conran shop 

i did not saw many adverted on platforms and some wher oof the same dealer 

but i can see the popularity there is now one on the catawiki.nl comming auction wich gave the name off the designer and led me to the producer

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
18/06/2021 4:34 pm  

Good thing to know that these chairs are not vintage.  It is not a bad design, the designer/manufacturer could have specified a better wood for these chairs. 

It is too bad that these and many of the fake vintage look alikes are the kind of items that will be flooding the second hand market.

I don't mind these chairs though, designed by James Irvine produced by Thonet and was sold by Muji (a while back).

1624027245-download.jpg

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
18/06/2021 5:58 pm  

@minimoma some claim they are vintage

https://www.catawiki.com/l/49177617-val-padilla-par-jasper-conran-armchair-dinner-chair-5-manila

a bit strange give the age of val padilla and japer conran

or it could be i am totaly wrong and found  a very similar

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
18/06/2021 6:05 pm  

Val Padilla started his career in 1979 according to the bio on this site, which appears to be his.

http://studiopadilla.weebly.com/

And Locsin's Facebook page says the chairs were first produced in the 80's.  

wesemael liked
ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register