DA old timers

DA old timers  

Page 109 / 112
  RSS

tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
05/03/2021 3:33 am  

@fastfwd! Sincere thanks for that little tour.  I was starting to think it was all just my imagination...

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
05/03/2021 3:48 am  

Haw.  As fine a page as any I can recall.  I do miss Aunt Mark.  I hope he's well.  

Thanks for doing the research.  Only 3 1/2  years since P and A.   Feels like five, to me.  Time (and Love) is strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxZ8rwN8Wrk

I still like the graphics I proposed, to replace the original logo (is that still to be found ?) after  the new design appeared.

1614912485-DesignAddictLogo.jpg
1614912760-DesignAddictLogos.jpg

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
05/03/2021 3:51 am  

The weird thing is, these were done on a plain-jane Apple app like Pages, but earlier---I don't remember what it was called.

Oh--here's the original graphic, and the replacement:

1614912721-DesignAddictLogos1.jpg

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
05/03/2021 3:24 pm  

Hey, old fellows!

I've, suddenly overnight, been upgraded to 'illustrious member' status (which, as tktoo, I'd held previously)!

I guess I can retire now...

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
05/03/2021 7:05 pm  

All right !   What were you before;  are we better than BTM, or not ?  Is there an appeals process ?  Will there be snubbing ?

I say no snubbing---for now.  What is Spanky ?  Whew---I can't keep up.  Anyway, congratulations !

ReplyQuote
Big Television Man
(@big-television-man)
Famed Member
05/03/2021 9:09 pm  

Of course you are better than BTM, you've hung in here all those years when I was off doing other things. You kept the porch light on for so many years, they could build a separate wing for you SDR :-). Plus you have the Illustrious Member moniker as opposed to the Famed Member such as myself, which would seem to me as a secondary classification.

I saw in an earlier post where you mentioned Olive and I inquired in a subsequent post, which you may have missed, is Olive still around or is she part of the lost tribe as well?

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
06/03/2021 12:45 am  

Oh no, we haven't heard from her in yonks.  I recall a woman who lived both in Florida and in Switzerland; who was that ?  What other early names did I see on that page I posted earlier ?   cdsilva ?  I wonder how Koen de Winter is doing.  His ceramic studio washed away in a notorious flood in Canada, sometime around 2008 or 2010.  Hippo Design was his entity.

I really didn't earn my stripes for longevity,  though (as at Wright Chat and at Design Community for some years) I did so much posting here because I had retired and had time (and a lot of pent-up ego) to spend.  I was top poster, numerically, on those three design sites---or maybe one of them was Lotta Loving, out of LA---though I certainly never aimed for that dubious distinction.  Just a happy fish swimming in receptive (or at least tolerant) waters . . .

I go back to earlier posts---some only a year old, say---on any of those sites and I absolutely don't remember writing what's there.  Maybe I have a doppelganger ?  Either that or a very porous memory . . .!

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
06/03/2021 1:21 am  

I have no use for facebook;  I spend every day at Wright Chat.  In addition, a semi-anoymous Wright fan sends one of his hundreds (thousands ?) of Wright photos to a group of friends, on weekdays---and I add drawings and other images and text on the project, and forward that to my own little group.  I sit in my underwear before breakfast, assembling images (often scanned or photographed from books on my shelves) into some kind of order.  Sometimes a conversation is carried on throughout the day, wandering from the subject building to others, or to unrelated matters.

A couple of months ago it was discovered that an online library of images, intended for student and scholarly use, is hosted online as Artstor.  They have the 19,000+ photos of Wright drawings that were made at Taliesin by the Getty Institute, c. 25 years ago.  These drawings fill in the gaps left by the publication, in the 'eighties, of 12 volumes of Wright, with a few drawings (on average) from virtually every Wright design, built and unbuilt.  Endless fun for architecture nerds, investigating how the man intended his designs to look, and to be constructed.

https://library.artstor.org/#/collection/100116947   I enter "Wright" and the name of a client, and thumbnail images appear, of whatever drawings were available on that project.  The images can be enlarged to full page+.  It's a bit disappointing to find that the photography was somewhat careless, as to resolution (camera focus, I assume)---and not every drawing is accurately labeled.  Some drawings were photographed upside-down.

ReplyQuote
Big Television Man
(@big-television-man)
Famed Member
07/03/2021 10:46 pm  

SDR, I think the woman you mention that lived in Switzerland and Florida (though I think it was South Carolina and not Florida) was a member named Riki. Olive I believe lived/lives in Massachusetts.

Anybody hear from LRF (Lloyd) or Barrympls (who was originally from Minneapolis and I believe ultimately moved to Arizona, perhaps the Phoenix area)

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
08/03/2021 12:05 am  

Thanks---that sounds right.  I just went looking for other names;  objectworship came up, though he/she (sorry;  can't get with "they") is currently posting elsewhere on the forum.  Rockland is another old name.

I'm afraid I can't think of LRF without the image of a certain stone chimney coming to mind---something I'd rather forget.  Wonder if he's still in the furniture-classics restoration/repair business.  Or was it upholstery ?

ReplyQuote
Big Television Man
(@big-television-man)
Famed Member
08/03/2021 10:05 pm  

I remember Rockland from back in the day. Not certain I remember a stone chimney with LRF, I do remember when he was having parts of his home clad in a stacked stone treatment across select elements of the house. I think his business was called Retro Modern or something similar in Texas and I think they did restoration and upholstery work on all manner of modern furniture. If memory serves, they did very nice work.

I meant to ask you, is that Mahogany Registration thread still around that we all had so much fun with.  I remember that people would stumble into the site, post photos of mahogany furniture, the sticker or stamp indicating mahogany construction and asking for valuations. The first two or three dozen posts I think that everyone was reasonably respectful and tried to inform the drive-by poster that this wasn't exactly  the site for those type of queries. On the 40th post it became sort of free-for-all of ridicule and derision in hopes that they would get the message that there were other sites for this type of request. 100's of posts later, no one seemed to understand that they were in the wrong place. Good times, good times.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
09/03/2021 1:44 am  

Heh-heh.  I recall the Mahogany Registration Number thread as you do---if not as clearly.  Oh, lawdy . . .

I love my Mac---I really do.  But the ever-evolving software has peculiarities.  The busy fingers at Apple have too much (paid) time on their hands, is my guess---so things that work fine, like early versions of iPhoto, are "improved" in ways that actually make them work less well than before---for me, anyway.  Another quirk is the screensaver option (they no longer call it that, of course) that spits out random images from my Imports or Documents files, and sashays them across the screen for a few seconds each, in succession.  The frustrating part:  the images are not identified, and (more importantly) they cannot be captured, or even paused, for perusal.

Case in point:  I know there's at least one photo of Lloyd's chimney in my computer---somewhere---because I see it from time to time---burning my eyeballs for a few seconds---but I can't find it anywhere.  The issue for him was the design of a wrought iron grill, at the top, I think.  

Yes, I recall it said that his work was excellent, and highly regarded.  I suppose a rigorous search might find him, or the company---or perhaps you've tried that.  I was prepared to do likewise for Mark, having narrowed down his likely address---but I was pulled back from that cliff.  Maybe we can send up flares---or fireworks with glitter---to see who responds . . .

ReplyQuote
Big Television Man
(@big-television-man)
Famed Member
09/03/2021 3:24 am  

Hey SDR,

I found Lloyd in a couple of minutes. From out of nowhere I remembered the name of his company (the old brain box is still working pretty good) Retro Redo, I went online and sure enough there it was. I hit the contact button and dropped him an email and invited him to stop by the DA forum and to search out this thread and join us for a virtual reconnect of days gone by. Fingers crossed that he'll remember us and stop by to reconnect.

Give me enough time and I might be able to reconnect with Aunt Mark, though I'm not sure he ever mentioned a business, I think he was retired, though I do believe he lived in Miami in a high rise condo overlooking either the Atlantic or more likely I think it was Biscayne Bay.

All the best, BTM

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
09/03/2021 4:19 am  

Now I'll regret my critique of a certain masonry construct.  Justice, no doubt !  

Thanks to someone else here, a few months back, we have a pretty good idea of where in Palm Beach a certain water-side highrise is located.  I was going to pursue a local junque shop/boutique that our friend liked to visit;  I have no identity for such a place and was going to look for it near the aforesaid residence, probably via Google Street View---and then approach the proprietresses for word on Mark.  I was persuaded that this might be seen as intrusive . . .

ReplyQuote
Big Television Man
(@big-television-man)
Famed Member
09/03/2021 8:22 pm  

No need for regret, Lloyd was a definite good guy with a great sense of humor. Very generous of spirit with an overall apparent love of life. I hope he responds to my plea to swing by and catch up.

Based on the last sentence in your post above, I will NOT look to track down Aunt Mark.

ReplyQuote
Page 109 / 112
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register