DA old timers

DA old timers  

Page 108 / 112
  RSS

fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
01/03/2021 7:42 am  

Over the last 20 years the table's been knocked over a few times -- always on rugs or carpet, but still.  Plus, it weighs 20 pounds, with all the weight at the ends of a lever, and it's natural to lift it by grabbing the edge of the tabletop even if you've been sternly lectured that it should always be lifted by the stem.

I felt it crunch as I was shifting it into place at the new house.  The break is right along a white vein in the black marble.  I assume that it's always been weak there, and that the accumulated stresses were finally too much.

I don't think it's really repairable; a lot of material just crumbled, so it's far from a clean break.  I'll eventually find out what Knoll wants for a new top, but in the meantime I'm kinda digging the look.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
01/03/2021 6:51 pm  

Yeah---gotta go with the flow.  It's interesting that an architect would neglect to factor in the weight of his materials;  perhaps the base diameter should have been greater ?  (Have you ever seen any Tulip piece with a bend at the thinnest part of the stem ?  I haven't---yet.)

Too bad the marble was flawed.  I suppose an irregular-looking material can be assumed to be irregular in its structure, at least some of the time ?

I could see a repair that involved a thick piece of glass, waxed, as a work table, the stone brought together upside-down with some black epoxy putty---if you could find that.  The excess could be shaved off and the surfaces polished---to some extent---when the epoxy had cured for a week or a month.  But that's just supposin' . . .

Any other interesting pieces in your collection we haven't seen ?

ReplyQuote
Big Television Man
(@big-television-man)
Famed Member
03/03/2021 4:05 pm  

Thanks SDR for the warm welcome back and apologies for the delay in responding as I have actually attempted to reply on multiple occasions. Each time after hitting the “submit” button I was rebuffed with a message indicating “the site is experiencing technical difficulties” or other messages of denial. Elizabeth at HQ was very helpful in getting me back on. You must have thought I went back into ghost mode.

Anyway, no I wasn’t aware that the site was under new ownership, although obviously I have noticed the new overall look of the site. Your turn of phrase; “Patrick and Alex reluctantly and graciously passed on the reins to others”  seems slightly mysterious and a little nefarious with the word “reluctantly” almost as if they were forced to give up the site under threat of law. I’m sure it isn’t any such thing, but the “reluctant” part did catch my eye.  Are Patrick & Alex now posting as members? They were a big part of what made this place feel like one big happy, if sometimes mildly dysfunctional, family. They were truly generous and gentle souls and all of my interactions with them were always very friendly and personable making a chat forum more like a good friend’s living room at an open house party. 

With respect to the “old-timers”, though I like the moniker: “long-timers” a lot better, who wants to be reminded that we’re getting older lol :-). But seriously,  are you indicating that most of the folks I’ve named in my list, with the exception of you, tktoo2 and Spanky are the only three remaining from that initial group of May 2010? Of course in the time of the pandemic there is always the reality or possibility that some members may have succumbed to the illness. I did lurk back in a while ago to see if Lloyd was still about as I was curious if he still had his mod furniture restoration business and I think I gleaned that he was divorced from what was perhaps either Mrs Lloyd #2 or #3. 

I do have connections to RISD, albeit tangentially. After graduating High School I applied and was accepted to RISD though I ultimately went elsewhere I dated someone who was a student there and my memories of my time visiting on more than a few weekends were so fantastic that I actually worked a number of campus locations into my book. I will claim “no comment” as to whether the Providence locales and activities are autobiographical. If your curious it is the character, Jordan Brewster who’s story arc takes part in and around RISD. Born, raised and educated in New England I’ve spent a lot of time on campuses in CT, MA, & RI. Thank you for showing an interest in my first book, if you’re truly curious you can find out a bit more about my efforts at the following location: jkduval.com.

It sounds as if you have been busy as well, though I am confused by the mention of awaiting national sweepstakes results. I know you are a lot smarter than to count on lottery winnings or the Irish National Sweepstakes as part of your retirement planning. 🙂 Always creating, always moving forward seems to be the keys to a happy and fulfilling life, so kudos on all of your plans moving forward. I will lift a glass of bourbon this evening to all the long-timers, that are still here, missing in action, and or otherwise unaccounted for, my hope is that they are all safe, healthy and happy. Warmest regards, BTM

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
03/03/2021 6:10 pm  

Hey, BTM.  Sorry to hear you were having trouble with access here. I've had my share of that too---having to log in if I was gone more than a day (?)---but now I seem to be logged in automatically.  Let's see how long that lasts.

I misspelled Alix's name in my earlier post, and have just corrected it.  I would have to go back and find their farewell posts, to remind myself of what Patrick and Alix said;  my memory is that they had developed other priorities, and no longer felt capable of devoting the time and expense of maintaining the site. I am not aware of their ongoing activity here, if any;  I do very little here beside attending to this thread, though some of the merchandise offered often catches my eye and leads to further exploration.

I am ashamed to report that I have been dallying with Publishers Clearing House for about five years.  Having made no retirement plans, never having worked for a firm large enough to offer pensions (do they still do that, anywhere ?), and being largely dependent on SS retirement funds,  I might be excused for harboring fantasies of manna from heaven---or not.  Having missed out (along with millions of others, or billions of separate entries) on the latest big prize event, I will set those fantasies aside and go about my business, such as it is.  

As I am an actual old-timer at this point, I am not motivated to use an alternative---but I well understand the reason to eschew (gesundheit) the moniker.  Call us what you will;  here we are, in any event, awaiting other lost voices . . .

S

ReplyQuote
Big Television Man
(@big-television-man)
Famed Member
03/03/2021 7:24 pm  

Hi SDR,

The login problems seem to be completely a thing of the past, so access is no longer a problem. No need to apologize for the Publisher's Clearing House dreams, who amongst us hasn't entered a sweepstakes or purchased a lottery ticket for the 72 or 48 hours of delicious fantasy of mapping out how they'd spend the money, I know I have. And when one is in a creative, design or artistic field of endeavor such as writing, painting or even designing furniture and other objects that make life better the cost of a stamp or a dollar on a lottery ticket is a small sum to wager, (hey somebody's got to win it, right?)

As far as getting old, I just flat out refuse. I mean time is such an arbitrary construct anyway, I prefer to assess my age with regard to my mental outlook on the world around me, and of course how I feel when I get up in the morning. Yes, some mornings I feel as if I can sense every minute I've been on the planet, and the sense is I should have taken better care of myself. Other times I feel like I'm 26 again and can do anything, but generally I've settled in around the age of 30 to 32 though those actual calendar dates are so far in the rearview mirror that they are well over the horizon. The important thing to do is get up and do something creative every single day, write, paint, create. I at least try and write every day. Good to be back amongst friends. Best BTM

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
03/03/2021 8:56 pm  

Oh, that's interesting.  I hadn't noticed that my join date was shown as 10 May 2010 as well.  The profile page shows that my first post was in 2009, though, so it's odd that they didn't use the earlier of May 2010 and first-post date to set old-timer join dates...

ReplyQuote
Big Television Man
(@big-television-man)
Famed Member
03/03/2021 9:23 pm  

You are correct FastFwd, I hadn't thought to check initial post activity, my first post was actually on the 14th of December, 2005.

Strange that it was marked as member since 10/5/2010, but what's even stranger is that in a little more than 2 months I will have been dropping in and out of this place for 16 years, holy smokes a lot has happened to me in 16 years, where did the time go? Anybody else here go back to December of 2005 and does anyone know when the forum first debuted?

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
03/03/2021 10:13 pm  

Huh.  My entry date is the same as yours: 10/5/2010.  Could it possibly be that long ago that the site changed hands ?  Otherwise, it might memorialize some revamping that the previous owners did, on that date.

How does one find one's earliest post ?  My "catalog" of posts is 429 pages long, with no way I can see to zoom back to the beginning.  I imagine I started posted in 2005 or 6---close to the first year that I had a computer !

S

ReplyQuote
Big Television Man
(@big-television-man)
Famed Member
03/03/2021 10:26 pm  

SDR, What I did was go into my profile section and clicked on "posts" and saw that there were 1 of 26 pages so I just dropped down to page 26 and checked the date on my first post, which I even remembered what my first post was and what brought me here, and low and behold there was my first post with a date of 14, December 2005. I think you  were here before me, old-timer 🙂

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
04/03/2021 12:15 am  
Thanks.  I don't see a way to "drop down"---just a button for Next (page).  And now I seem to have selected a different font !  Hoo-hah . . .

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
04/03/2021 12:24 am  

Okay, I found it---maybe on Profile rather than Activity---and came up with this as my first post:

https://designaddict.com/community/main-forum/#post-162173

I don't see me there---but on the way I came across another name:  remember Olive ?

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
04/03/2021 12:40 am  

You know when you are an old-timer when you come back to reminisce about the Before Times.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
04/03/2021 2:23 am  

16 years ago, for me;  I was a mere 62 !  Time both speeds up and slows down, I can report.  

Bender says hi.  I wish Futurama was still on.  Netflix content I can recommend:  "Love, Death + Robots";  "Better Than Us";  "The Imposters";  "Space Sweepers";  and of course "Schitt's Creek."

ReplyQuote
Big Television Man
(@big-television-man)
Famed Member
04/03/2021 4:08 am  

So it looks like you and I, SDR came onboard around the same time, and yes time can ebb and flow. What was it that Einstein said about time and space? "Time and space are not conditions of existence, time and space is a model for thinking." Which is a quote of his that always leads me to my favorite quote of his: "Time is relative; its only worth depends upon what we do as it is passing." 

And yes, I do remember Olive, is she still around. If I am remembering correctly she was somewhat into the Japanese design aesthetic of Wabi Sabi.

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
04/03/2021 11:13 pm  

Interesting dates in DA history:

27 November 1999 - archive.org's oldest capture of designaddict.com: https://web.archive.org/web/19991127080852/https://designaddict.com/

29 September 2001 - Post #3 in the forum (earliest I could find; perhaps #1 and #2 were test posts that were deleted): https://web.archive.org/web/20020419050316/http://www.designaddict.com/design_addict/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread_show_one/thread_id/3

19 September 2014 - New forum design.

12 August 2016 - Post #1000 in this thread.  Exquisitely well-written.  Really makes you think.

6 September 2017 - Farewell to Patrick and Alix

ReplyQuote
Page 108 / 112
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register