The Last Thing You Acquired #22  

Page 4 / 8
  RSS

waffle
(@waffle)
Illustrious Member
04/09/2013 2:02 am  

some finds
picked up a couple of Westnofa high back Siesta chairs. Great shape. No ottomans..
I also bought 2 really weird sorta womb chairs that I will pick up tomorrow. Weird foot like cast iron legs. WILL WANT INPUT!

ReplyQuote
kin1117
(@kin1117)
Famed Member
04/09/2013 8:23 am  

Great chairs, Waffle. I have ...
Great chairs, Waffle. I have one and it's as comfortable and it looks beautiful. Arm rests would add the perfect touch but would not be as aesthetically pleasing.

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
04/09/2013 4:27 pm  

Hideous
Arrived at work today and discovered that my company has acquired a dozen or two of these cheap-ass ugly knockoffs. I'm so embarrassed.

ReplyQuote
norm
 norm
(@norm)
Noble Member
04/09/2013 4:53 pm  

Vandalize them.
What are...
Vandalize them.
What are those little pods in the corner?

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
04/09/2013 5:49 pm  

Those "pods"
are fun. They're Safco Zenergy chairs; we have a couple hundred of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGwAmBHk46w

ReplyQuote
waffle
(@waffle)
Illustrious Member
04/09/2013 11:28 pm  

as promised
pics of the weird wing sorta womb sorta chair.
velour. Some cats scratches. Structurally pretty sound.
The frame, padding and underside suggest 1940's 1950's
I am GUESSING continental? Maybe French?
I am considering recovering them, think it's the way to go.
No markings anywhere
Those legs though, oh baby. They are brass underneath the paint.

ReplyQuote
waffle
(@waffle)
Illustrious Member
05/09/2013 2:52 am  

reply to self
they are Italian, 1950's.

ReplyQuote
waffle
(@waffle)
Illustrious Member
05/09/2013 7:42 am  

reply to self #2
I bought these babies in a really rustic thrift store in Albany Oregon, a bit of a rustic town. Which just makes you wonder, how did they get HERE? I would love to track their progress from somewhere in Italy to Albany Oregon...

ReplyQuote
phonegirl
(@phonegirl)
Prominent Member
05/09/2013 3:53 pm  

bought
these three lamps. of COURSE, no shades. and in one case, no wiring OR shade!
grey/green is likely Lotte, the small brown was made by Nancy Postma (Canadian potter in 1971) and no idea on the striped one.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
05/09/2013 7:18 pm  

waffle
I do like the look of that chair.

ReplyQuote
Solange
(@solange)
Noble Member
05/09/2013 8:49 pm  

PG
Nice lamps. I am a huge fan of Lotte, owning a few myself. It certainly appears to be one. That is the only shape I can recall that tapers at the base, as the other thin ones flair out at the base.
Your Everest of course, will be to find the matching shade. They occasionally come up on eBay, often more costly than the lamp itself. Ordering directly from Lotte is difficult, as they seem to be hopelessly backordered.
I found a nice old Lotte lamp a couple of years ago in a thrift and have yet to find the shade. I just can't bring myself to put a generic shade on the thing...the beauty really being the lamp as it was meant to be.....

ReplyQuote
phonegirl
(@phonegirl)
Prominent Member
05/09/2013 8:55 pm  

Solange!
I *knew* you'd respond! Thanks! I can't believe I'm typing this, but about 3 months ago, I found a matching set of yellow ones but wasn't familiar with the shape as Lotte. They were incredibly heavy. On my way up the driveway, I dropped one!!!! I was so pissed, I left them BOTH at the road! Of course, they were both shadeless. Yes, I'd love to find one of the dark brown string shades - there are two on eBay for $150!! and on one of them, the string is unraveling. As for the wireless/shadeless, I don't even know why I bought it, other than it looked so nice. Thanks for your message!

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
05/09/2013 10:16 pm  

waffle
I would not hesitate to get that chair reupholstered. If you choose a fabric with a little give to it, you don't have to have those tucks at front of the arms. And lose the nailheads---ugh!
Phonegirl, I like your striped lamp a lot. It wouldn't be hard at all to get parts and rewire it. And FenchelShades.com has custom shades for reasonable prices though I'd recommend trying some ready-made ones on the lamp in person to help figure out exactly the shape and dimensions you want.
http://www.fenchelshades.com

ReplyQuote
phonegirl
(@phonegirl)
Prominent Member
05/09/2013 11:04 pm  

spanky!
thanks very much for the comment and link to the shade place. I'd love to find something vintage, but then again, I'd like to win the lotto. Your compliment inspires me to have the striped lamp rewired. Too bad all the little electrical shops aren't around anymore. everything's a "hunt". will keep you posted on progress!

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
06/09/2013 4:25 am  

Are you at all handy?
Really, putting a lamp together is simple. A threaded brass rod goes through the center with a nut or two on either end. You thread the lamp cord through the rod from the bottom up, then add a harp and screw on the socket at the top. Connect the wires with a screwdriver and you're done.
You will probably have to cut the threaded rod with a hacksaw unless you luck out and the purchased length happens to be perfect, but other than that it's very basic stuff. (And the hacksawing isn't hard either but I guess if you didn't already have a hacksaw it'd be more complicated.)
Oh wait, you also need one of those brass cap things at the top to cover the opening in the "vase". That might be tougher to find in just the right size but i'm sure online places will have a good selection.
ps - vintage shades are often not in very good shape---yellowed unevenly, dinged, trim coming unglued. I prefer new ones with vintage styling.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 8
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register