Anyone recognize this chair?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

asd
 asd
(@asd)
Trusted Member
23/08/2013 5:35 am  

I'm considering purchasing this chair (and upholstering in a different fabric). Wondering if anyone has seen it before and knows any background information on it.
It apparently came from Denmark (whether it was manufactured there is a different question) and has wooden armrests (not that apparent in the photo).
Any help, of course, is appreciated.

Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
23/08/2013 5:43 am  

I am responding in a kindly manner.
I don't think that this chair is worth restoring. I dislike being negative, as you were polite enough to post a pic, and all..but pass on this chair, and post another pic (of another chair) for opinions. I look forward to your next posting.
Best,
Mark

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
23/08/2013 5:46 am  

Always look on the bright side of life
Mark you have such wonderful manners.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
23/08/2013 5:58 am  

Thank you, Leif.

ReplyQuote
asd
 asd
(@asd)
Trusted Member
23/08/2013 11:40 am  

thanks mark
always appreciate your candor. and taking your advice into consideration, i'll punt on this project and pursue another.

ReplyQuote
onegroovydude
(@onegroovydudegmail-com)
Famed Member
23/08/2013 11:54 am  

wait a minute now....
The fabric may not be the greatest, but the shape sure does have some personality. The back spreads all the way around to become the armrest. Like a giant flipped up shirt collar. It looks pretty mean. The fabric makes it look really weak though.
He said re-upholster. Not restore. If its good shape, and was cheap, he could do that in something like solid red, and that would look sweet. If it was $10, and the re-upholster was $50 or something, that would be a wonderful chair for the money. It kind of puts me in the mind of a Bertoia diamond chair. That's what I see, or am I going blind? Cuz I feel I'd almost have to save it for the right price. How much is it?

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
23/08/2013 6:36 pm  

Um...
...the re-upholster won't cost $50, even if you do it yourself. At least not with good fabric, unless you luck into some at a mill end shop.
I like the chair. I'd buy it if it was cheap, but then I am capable of doing the upholstery myself and I have a lot of fabrics on hand.
The good news is that it won't take much yardage at all so there are more fabrics available to you from the discount dealers like Modern-Fabrics.com. They have a lot of nice stuff in the $30-35/yd range. I think they even have a bunch of Hallingdal at the moment. You can't get any better than that.

ReplyQuote
karin koller webb
(@relaxdungenessbay-com)
Prominent Member
23/08/2013 8:47 pm  

Upholstery
I sure see potential for the chair...Lots! Many thanks *Spanky* for the Modern-Fabrics.com link. I would have guessed more like $400 to do the chair using something in $40 per yd range. Is it typical for a professional upholsterer to surcharge the client who provides their own fabric?? I have been getting bids on re-upholstering my Robsjohn-gibbings chairs and haven't had much luck with finding the right fabric thru the shops I'v been dealing with. Saw two choices right away on Modern-Fabrics...

ReplyQuote
EamesJunkie
(@eamesjunkie)
Honorable Member
24/08/2013 3:21 am  

Hmmmm
Kind of has a Nanna Ditzel feel to it. I think that if it was reupholstered it would be a really nice accent chair.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
24/08/2013 3:32 am  

The five question rule.
1. What is the price of the chair?
2. What is the cost of the re-upholstery?
3. What is the value of the chair when re-invented?
4. How comfortable is the piece?
5. What would I wear whilst perched upon it?
oh practical me,
Your Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
onegroovydude
Famed Member
24/08/2013 3:47 am  

Ya...
It's mega cool. I love the little strips of wood for your arms. They would really pop with the right fabric. Again, that's only if it's feasible to purchase, and restore. If it truly was gonna be $400 to reupholster, I think I'd pass. The amish would probably charge $100 down by my country house, and it would be top quality. And don't even think about ripping on the Amish. All the men do their whole life is farm, build things, and tear stuff down for farmers. All the women do is sew, re-upholster, and watch the farm. And everything they do is flawless.
If I had to guess Mark, I'd say you'd wear something very similar to the fabric on it now..:) It'd make a wicked H Bar C shirt...

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
24/08/2013 3:58 am  

You guessed wrong.
I'm still clad in my lunchtime (Lilly) attire, getting ready to shower/change into something a little more colorful.
Always,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
onegroovydude
Famed Member
24/08/2013 4:02 am  

You're so funny...
I just love the pants..!! Are those Versace shoes? I have a pair with a buckle kinda like that.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
24/08/2013 4:07 am  

No.
I'm brand loyal. Only Gucci kicks.
Best,
Old Mark

ReplyQuote
asd
 asd
(@asd)
Trusted Member
24/08/2013 9:57 am  

HA
you guys are awesome. so, the chair is $200 with a little room to move. I figure the upholstery would be roughly $200, including fabric. Definitely going to pass on this...have a handful of other projects that deserve some attention instead. If it's not a significant piece, I have bigger fish to fry.
As an aside, furniture decisions are much clearer when you're a few drinks in.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register