The Last Thing You Acquired #22  

Page 3 / 8
  RSS

adamfowler
(@adamsfowlergmail-com)
Noble Member
02/09/2013 3:02 am  

Eameshead, aren't you an...
Eameshead, aren't you an artist? I'm surprised that you would say that and a little disappointed. The home is beautiful, so is the furniture and setting but good visual art serves a different purpose than those things and shouldn't be passed over just because everything else is in order.
Thanks for sharing Norm, amazing home!

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
02/09/2013 5:34 am  

adamfowler
Yes I am an artist
And I said what I said -- as an artist of 40 years.
I know art is a different thing than nature, but I believe that most art pales in comparison to nature.
Think of the greatest painting you could ever want to look at. In purely phenomenological terms, 99% of the time I would rather have a window in the wall rather than a painting of the same size.
Just my opinion. As an artist.
All issues of "object value" and name dropping aside, I cant think of a painting in this world that is more interesting than the most typical view on any day.
That doesn't mean I don't like art. It just means I like nature better, hands down.

ReplyQuote
karin koller webb
(@relaxdungenessbay-com)
Prominent Member
02/09/2013 5:48 am  

Who dat chair?
Who is the chair by in the second photo with chrome legs sitting right at the window. I'm swooning over you abode!

ReplyQuote
adamfowler
(@adamsfowlergmail-com)
Noble Member
02/09/2013 6:46 am  

sorry Eameshead
I always like what you have to say and especially enjoyed your recent conversation with you know who.
Windows are great but so is art and we can and should have both, without it being a competition.
Can we see your work, not for a critique, its nice to see what people are doing?

ReplyQuote
norm
 norm
(@norm)
Noble Member
02/09/2013 6:47 am  

I've posted pics of the...
I've posted pics of the house on this forum before so I'm a little embarrassed to be talking about it again...
yes...that is a petal table you see, it was rough when I bought it many years ago as it was used outside so I just kept it an outdoor table. I JUST got the walls and doors painted back to the original 1957 colors so they won't be going white anytime soon:-) The architects were George Nelson and Gordon Chadwick along with George Nelson and Company for the interior design.
The chair is by Poul Kjaerholm for EKC. Its called a PK-20.
I love the chair too, its one of my favorites. The main reason for posting a pic of it in the first place was I was hoping to get some un-solicited feedback on which one looks better, the bench or the chair.
I do understand the art/house as art argument and my take is that if I had to choose between living with a Picasso in a mcmansion or no art at Fallingwater I'd take Fallingwater hands down.
View out an upstairs bedroom window one morning...how can you beat that?

ReplyQuote
norm
 norm
(@norm)
Noble Member
02/09/2013 6:50 am  

Sorry to highjack this...
Sorry to highjack this thread...can someone start a new "recently acquired" thread?

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
02/09/2013 7:11 am  

adamfowler
Thanks. Glad you enjoyed that, hope you didn't run out of popcorn.
As for showing my stuff, I don't know. I will have to get the energy to scan a few 8 x 10s, and then post them, and then repost pics here. It could be a while. I've only done it once, when I did an "Eames shell buffet" of Seafoam green chairs, and I burned up half a day on that project. Seriously.
Also, there is a reason I don't show much any more, except when I have to. (I teach, so there is the inevitable fine arts faculty show, but thats pretty much it.) The art world proved to be a lot of anxiety for me. (Even when things were going exceptionally well!)
Funny, my work is black and white too. And it's very large scale drawing. Sounds too familiar i bet! Your work is awesome.
We will see... I also have to think about anonymity issues. I teach, and I have very much enjoyed the freedom to say whatever I want on this forum, and if even one student happens to be here and connect the dots, I think it would make be behave in a much more responsible (and boring) manner. LOL Dont wanna take the fun out of it for myself!
Thanks again Adam!
OKAY BACK TO NORMS' AWESOME HOUSE!
(I have a couple of deer buddies too Norm)

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
02/09/2013 7:49 am  

I like the pets.
Bambi and Thumper?
As always,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
02/09/2013 9:11 am  

How many MCM
collectors get to live in a house . . . designed by one of their favorite furniture designers ?
Nice work with the restoration, Norm. The colors are grand. Who needs Paul Klee or Hans Arp originals: your whole abode is a beautifully colored work of art !
Display the mystery painting with pride; it goes well with the environment, as I see it.

ReplyQuote
norm
 norm
(@norm)
Noble Member
02/09/2013 5:51 pm  

Art or nature? This shows up...
Art or nature? This shows up at the entrance once a day around 5-6 O'clock. When there is a breeze it's kinetic art:-)
Bambis are cute but awlful bold here in the city. The four big bucks roaming around right now are NOT intimdated. Gotta ping them with a BB gun every so often to put the fear of man back into them...

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
02/09/2013 7:42 pm  

norm
That wire sculpture is quite intriguing. Can you tell us more about it?

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
02/09/2013 9:27 pm  

Inspired by Norm's changing light wall
I took this a while back in mid summer... right after sunrise.
To me this counts as a "recent find"!
(If there is no photo, bear with me... thanks)
Edited by DA: Picture fixed

ReplyQuote
adamfowler
(@adamsfowlergmail-com)
Noble Member
02/09/2013 9:32 pm  

EamesHead
would still...
EamesHead
would still love to see your work but I totally understand about you keeping your anonymity.
Shot me an e-mail if you don't mind you've just peaked my interest even more.
adam s fowler at gmail
hope you don't mind, I'll keep it between us

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
02/09/2013 10:24 pm  

Thank YOU to the DA angel...
(For bailing me out in my failed first attempt to post an image.)
Adamfowler, I will see what I can do. (New printer to set up before I can scan something) But thankfully my wonderful wife will most likely do that today... at any rate, I will eventually come through. I am certainly a technology basket case! At the very worst, I can always take cell phone photos of a few 8 x 10 glossies, "old school" style. Funny thing is, I have STACKS and STACKS of installation photos. But I did most of my damage PRE internet, so I am below the radar.

ReplyQuote
mario
(@mario)
Noble Member
04/09/2013 1:20 am  

craigslist find.....
Purchased a cool cart maybe by arthur umanoff off CL and dropped by a surplus store around the corner to find this Nelson CSS piece for $20. The only bummer is I missed out out on the other CSS pieces in better condition.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 8
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register