Design Addict

Cart

How to undo the bac...

How to undo the back cushion of a Florence Knoll easy chair?  

RSS

bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
08/11/2021 1:25 am  

Well, title says it all. Some years ago I passed two original sixties Knoll easy chairs (made in Belgium by the licensed firm De Coene) to my uncle, which is now planning to have them upholstered. Only thing is, we can't get or head around how to remove the back cushion, which is fixed to the frame.

Any pointers?

1636331136-knoll.jpg

tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
08/11/2021 3:17 pm  

@bj, Your jpeg didn't come through but, depending on model, I believe the chairs might have what is called in the US 'tightback' or 'fixed cushion' upholstery in which the back cushions are sewn directly to the the material wrapping the back frame or panel.

@spanky would probably know better, but any competent upholsterer should be able to reproduce the technique.

ReplyQuote
user_209
(@user_209)
08/11/2021 4:32 pm  

The image isn't loading for me so I can't tell which chair you're talking about.  They all have model numbers so if you can find the same one online with a model number, that would help (in case you can't get the image to load).

ReplyQuote
bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
08/11/2021 4:36 pm  

Hey Tktoo2,

Thanks for your reply!

It's not sewn, as the cushion has a wooden support. Some piece of board, and the whole must have been fixed after the foam and fabric was added.

1636385812-13526_c.jpg

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
08/11/2021 5:11 pm  

@bj, Yes, you're right that there is a rigid wedge-shaped support panel behind the back cushion on these. I don't know how these are fastened to the frame, but it should become apparent as you begin to strip the original upholstery or maybe when you remove the dust cover from the underside. Good luck! Great iconic chairs!

ReplyQuote
liamjames
(@liamjames)
20/12/2021 1:43 pm  

Informational thread. Thanks

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register