question about rest...

question about restoring a Madsen chair  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Andersen
(@andersen)
Noble Member
12/11/2021 4:32 pm  

Hey there. Have a sort of philosophical question. How bad would it be to transform a leather chair like this one, into seat with rattan ?I like the rattan version much more than the leather version of this chair. From the perspective of restoring and keeping it original, would you advice against such idea ? Structurally, they made just one version of it, and either it got the leather cushion, or the rattan.

1636731175-danish-w2-chair-by-hans-j-wegner-for-madsen-1950s.jpg
This topic was modified 2 years ago by Andersen

Raijin
(@raijin)
Trusted Member
12/11/2021 4:52 pm  

For a chair like that I personally don't think it matters, if you are talking about a Chieftain chair or an early Papa Bear or something then the issue of it original status might mean something. However I do believe rattan (cane?) seat chairs generally have holes bored into the frame to attach the cane where as the leather seat ones do not.

ReplyQuote
Andersen
(@andersen)
Noble Member
12/11/2021 9:11 pm  

Makes sense; for this chair I doubt the version with
cane had any holes in the frame...

by the way, that’s the only chair produced by Madsen for HW. Quality wise that’s alright. What made Madsen not producing more for HW ?

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
12/11/2021 10:10 pm  

They were a producer for FDB. Mogensen was head of design for FDB, Wegner was a friend of Mogensen and designed some stuff for FDB, I guess that’s were the connection came from. 

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
Andersen
(@andersen)
Noble Member
13/11/2021 5:38 pm  

Thanks. FDB is the one that also produced for HW the "cheap" swinging chair.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
14/11/2021 3:42 am  

There actually was an earlier version of this chair. Extremely rare to find but still the same frame got whatever type material applied to the seat as best I know.

ReplyQuote
Andersen
(@andersen)
Noble Member
14/11/2021 9:36 am  

What material applied to the seat ?

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
14/11/2021 5:45 pm  

I guess the other thing to say about Hans Wegner’s design and CM Madsen is that if you look at who he worked for from say 1949 to 1959 (roughly) there are really two names: Salesco and Johannes Hansen.  Now we are accustomed to think of the Salesco companies: Carl Hansen, Andreas Tuck, AP Stolen, RY Møbler, and Getama as separate companies, but that is not how it worked back then.  Hans designed for Salesco and the individual companies piled their resources for marketing.  Getama was sort of the odd one that made “factory” furniture and did not participate in the marketing fully (I could check but I think that Getama did its own domestic marketing).  

And I do not think this is just random coincidence.  E. Kold Christensen was a very, very smart furniture salesman and I think that he had Hans Wegner on an exclusive contract to Salesco with an exception built in for Johannes Hansen.  I do not know how the CM Madsen chair happened at all, but that it did was “exceptional” in some sort of way.  I think it was in 1954 that it was designed.  I have a document that shows this and the ultra rare original version (I could check).

In other words, Hans Wegner was not a freelance designer who just designed for anyone like say Johannes Andersen or Kai Kristiansen (which has made them ideal targets for false attributions).  

So the question of why the CM Madsen chair happened is actually a very good one.  I do not believe the contours of the question or the answer have anything to do with the quality of CM Madsen’s production (that was taken for granted).  It has everything to do with who else he was designing for, when, what, for what market, the production budget of CM Madsen.  Unfortunately much of that is probably irretrievably lost to history.  

ReplyQuote
Andersen
(@andersen)
Noble Member
14/11/2021 6:03 pm  

This is a story we all know more or less, however can you post the picture with the ultra rare version of this chair, which I actually can't see how it is because it's either a cane version, or leather. It also came either in oak or teak.In some cases, the leather sit is folded inside the side rails, in other cases it goes around it.

Maybe I'll be surprised !

ReplyQuote
Andersen
(@andersen)
Noble Member
15/11/2021 3:30 pm  

So, where is this rare W2 chair ?

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
18/11/2021 11:53 am  

I just noticed that it is model W.1

1637232845-68356ACA-7152-4527-99F1-6B7A49EB702B.png

lexi liked
ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
18/11/2021 11:55 am  

Oak and fabric, although I assume that leather was possible. 

ReplyQuote
Andersen
(@andersen)
Noble Member
18/11/2021 6:29 pm  

rather interesting. so the model with the fabric or maybe leather inside the frame is W1. Guess probably noone ever realized this. What catalogue is that ?

Thanks for sharing

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
18/11/2021 9:17 pm  

There is also the case of no stretchers between the legs. Brugkunst 1958

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
19/11/2021 1:18 am  

Perhaps not entirely relevant in answering the question at hand, but quite a lovely long form video on a set of these being restored, well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6vBPeF4xBY

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register