Design Addict

Cart

help needed: repair...

help needed: repair water damage on Florence Knoll Walnut Credenza  

RSS

CMCraig
(@cmcraig)
01/12/2020 7:21 pm  

We had a roof leak last night and the knoll credenza has gotten some water damage.  I've pored over the site and done what makes sense but could use some advice at this point.

I have a pair of these so need to go slow and careful so they appear same when I'm done.  They appear to be Walnut, build date of 1981, if that helps to understand original finish (which looks to be oil as the grain is raised where the water damage occurred).  I've owned these for about 20 years and have never done anything other than apply paste wax every few years to them.

To get rid of any remaining water in the wood, I spent about an hour gently ironing a cloth on it, which helped but didn't solve the problem.  So, a strong hot water solution of murphy's scrubbed a number of times got me closer, but here i am.  I clearly took away 40 years of accumulated dirt and possibly some color?  My goal is to get the top to a single color that matches the sides, then protect the wood appropriately.

• blotchy finish still, from where the water puddled
  • slightly raised grain in same places.  more like you can feel it versus see it.
  • seems the water puddling and the murphy's has lightened the wood a bit versus the front/sides.  It's pretty inconsistent as well.

I "presume" next step is 4/0 steel wool and a solvent like naptha?

Then from there if grain is still high I hit it with a high grit like 600/800 ( I have paper up to 2000 grit)

What is the right next step?  How should I assess?  then, what is best way to correct the finish or should I try some boiled linseed oil (BLO) to see how it looks under a finish?  when the wood was still damp from the murphy's treatment it didn't look as bad as it does now.

Last, what finish to do?  prefer to be as authentic as possible and was thinking a few coats of BLO would be all i'd want/need to do.

Grateful for any help one might offer.

Chris

1606846916-1-initial-damage.jpg
1606847055-5-Dry-after-Murphys.jpg
This topic was modified 3 years ago by CMCraig

Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register