DA old timers  

Page 3 / 112
  RSS

Riki
 Riki
(@riki)
Illustrious Member
25/09/2015 3:17 pm  

I'm still here. Busy with two sets of contractors at the moment, one building two rock retaining walls and a deck and the other fabricating an all glass roof for the pergola over the hot tub.
It's a bit tricky, the glass roof, because we normally get 1.5 to 2 meters of snow every winter which just accumulates and doesn't melt. Unfortunately, it won't be ready for viewing tomorrow night's moon but that's just another First World problem I will have to deal with.
On the positive side, I've been forced to add all kinds of arcane french words to my vocab regarding gutters and retaining walls. Here's pic of the "abri" with it's temporary roof waiting for glass:

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
25/09/2015 7:21 pm  

Hey, Riki ! That's amazing. A sweet exercise in timber framing. Never too soon to hang the antler chandelier, eh ?

ReplyQuote
Riki
 Riki
(@riki)
Illustrious Member
25/09/2015 7:46 pm  

When you've been married to the same guy for 29 years, a little mood lighting over the hot tub can't hurt, no? (That and a few cocktails).

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
25/09/2015 7:55 pm  

Heh-heh -- yes. Enjoy !

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Illustrious Member
25/09/2015 8:14 pm  

Yes indeed, Riki. I certainly know how that is.
Good to hear you're doing well.

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
26/09/2015 6:05 pm  

Well considered outdoor lighting is definitely worth the effort Riki. Love the low-brightness multi-colored mood lights the most for night lighting outside. (Or even inside!)
I also like letting the eyes adjust to the darkness at night, and sometimes I prefer to have no outside lights on at all -- to better enjoy the evening sky. Or if there is moonlight present, the night landscape can become fairly amazing.
Sometimes going back into the house and turning on a relatively harsh and abrupt light is a real letdown after a great night-time outdoor viewing experience. I hate stuff to end.
Awesome sunsets SDR!
I am not that far away from you either… But on our east-facing hillside, we get the sunrises rather than sunsets. I get up every single day way before dawn just to watch it all happen. Here is this morning's sky, just before sunrise, with a smattering of alto-cumulus…. seems like half the day is gone by the time the sun comes up! (the big tree on the horizon is not really a "leaner"-- must be the camera lens)
Since we are at it, I also love going to sleep to the sounds of crickets on warm summer evenings.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
27/09/2015 4:05 am  

Nice, Eameshead. By 9 AM the formation you saw had blown west (?) and grown to a parasol that covered all of San Francisco. No crickets here -- and fewer moths in the evening, I'd say, than before.
My interior lighting is low-level and warm-colored. I like the idea of letting the daylight linger as long as possible, inside and out. Dusk is so lovely -- as is the dawn !

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
27/09/2015 6:11 am  

Okay -- this is getting monotonous . . .

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
27/09/2015 6:25 am  

The clouds just continued to accumulate South of my location, I think…. (I am about 15 miles north of San Francisco in a little hippy town) and yes I saw the quick change this morning and took another photo just a few minutes later, below. Even clouds have perspective in them, and this morning it was glaringly obvious in the cloud cover you mentioned.
Hard to beat your sunsets SDR! (But then, there is no such thing as a bad sky!)

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
27/09/2015 7:44 am  

In the digital gaming world of Minecraft everything is built of cubes -- even the clouds in the sky:

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
27/09/2015 8:26 am  

Whew. Just in time. Good to see an animated image for a change of pace, huh? We were starting to look like "SceneAmerica" around here.
I like your square modern clouds SDR. They look perfect if you squint. Or even if you don't.
Lunchbox is probably shaking his head about now.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
27/09/2015 8:41 am  

I can't take credit for the illustration; someone named Shull did a video of Wright's Storer house in LA. It was a while before I understood that it was modeled in Minecraft, who own the look. (Foliage, even flame, are modeled entirely of cubes of various sizes. Most entertaining. Wish I know how to do it . . .

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
27/09/2015 3:39 pm  

I like clouds.
Sunrise today from the ghetto.
Best,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
27/09/2015 4:06 pm  

Good mooring Mark,
Beautiful sunrise! Love those clouds that just hang there.
Is that a pair of dinghies in the foreground? Or is that robert1960 in one of his smaller boats?
It's still pre-dawn dark out west. SDR is not even up yet. He is probably still sleeping one off after another wild night in San Francisco.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
27/09/2015 5:23 pm  

..... ....... .....
Angry clouds still hang
So much flesh, yet so much skin
Evil in the moon

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 112