whereas some people lose their Mojo..
it appears Fastfwd has lost his Jingo 😉

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
02/09/2011 8:30 pm  

As bizarre as the chair is,
the craftsmanship involved in the modifications look top-notch. One would have to assume that Hume was commissioned to create the thing as a fund-raiser for the foundation. I can't really imagine it was his idea, but I don't know. They must have put a retail value of close to $10K on it, though, wouldn't you guess?
I'd love to hear from Alfie, himself, on this. Has he been banished from the forum?

ReplyQuote
LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
02/09/2011 10:37 pm  

more than likely Julius Seltz...
more than likely Julius Seltzer gave him the chair to customize.
not opposed to fund raising for a good cause,
Lots of corporations due nice things for charity mostly breast cancer, in Pink.
The chair just has a creepy look to it . I don't think John Wayne would have wanted it.

ReplyQuote
LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
02/09/2011 10:51 pm  

The Best thing to say is ...
The Best thing to say is "Leave Eames shit alone"
don't be screwing with it. It has looked good for 60 years
needs no help!!!!!!! end of story...

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
02/09/2011 11:52 pm  

It's not Eames. It's Xtreames.
To be fair, it doesn't say HM anywhere that I can find, despite the vaguely familiar-looking logo design.
I'm left shrugging my shoulders. It is certainly a curiosity and any buzz is good buzz, I suppose.

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
03/09/2011 3:09 am  

Heath
Some guys like flames, some like stripes. Some like painting leopard spots on Jaguars, and every once in a while a kid inherits a Lambo dealership and pays someone to scribble all over a Gallardo with a Sharpie. To each his own; I happened to think camo would look good on my dark-green car.
C'mon, Heath, it's just paint. It doesn't have to mean anything.

ReplyQuote
HPau
 HPau
(@hpau)
Illustrious Member
03/09/2011 3:19 am  

Meaningless camouflage? Never has nor will there ever be such a thing, unless of course you're blind.

ReplyQuote
pirx pilot
(@janjakobverizon-net)
Trusted Member
03/09/2011 3:51 am  

what??
Leopard spots on a Jaguar? Is that like zebra stripes on a Mustang? Or, graffiti on a Suburban. Or airbrushing a sunset on an Eclipse?....okay, I'm running out of ideas...

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
03/09/2011 5:51 am  

Heath
I understand what you're saying -- woodland camouflage is a utilitarian pattern, with only one purpose and used only by the military [and duck hunters].
But I wasn't painting a Jeep or a tank, and I certainly wasn't planning to drive through any forests or jungles. The camo paint scheme has other qualities besides utility; on a sportscar in the city, far away from any situation in which it could actually serve a useful purpose, isn't it possible that those other qualities could outweigh the utilitarian one?
I knew that camo was used by the military, of course, and I was aware that I'd be putting it on a clearly non-military vehicle, but that incongruity isn't what I found interesting about the idea. What I liked was the contrast with one of real camo's OTHER qualities: Real camo is always painted with ultra-flat paint -- lusterless and dull, like primer -- but mine would be metallic paint in rich colors, super-glossy and polished.
Really, it was the idea of the unexpectedly shiny surface that attracted me to the idea; the pattern's association with the military had nothing to do with it.

ReplyQuote
HPau
 HPau
(@hpau)
Illustrious Member
03/09/2011 7:05 am  

Not quite, most pattern is ch...
Not quite, most pattern is charged with different meaning in different contexts, using the above example it appears in adult films all the time, its not solely utilitarian and connotes sex, masculinity, violence...all sorts of things. If artists and designers didn't use received perceptions of things how would they communicate?
Whats a graphic of clouds? Is it pollution? If the sky is a little dull or a little bright how does that affect the perception of the image? If something is 'just' paint or 'just' sound does that put Mahlers 5th on a level with a Lady Gaga? One might sound more pleasing than the other but is that as far as human curiosity can go?

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
03/09/2011 7:32 am  

All true.
I'm just saying that for me personally, the image of shiny camo-pattern paint on my car wasn't charged with any of those meanings, just as the olive-drab leather on Alfie's chair isn't. That's why I brought up the camo thing in the first place: as an example of my own blindness to those connotations.
Clearly, you and others see more -- or at least differently -- and I'm glad to have had the obvious-to-you meanings explained to me. With luck, maybe I'll be able to see them for myself in the future.

ReplyQuote
LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
04/09/2011 3:46 am  

That log is something made...
That log is something made up by Hume. It is suppose to look like the Herman Miller logo . but it is not.

ReplyQuote
HPau
 HPau
(@hpau)
Illustrious Member
04/09/2011 4:34 am  

Its so close it must be an infringement, the look of the chair is one thing but thats too close my opinion, they don't have to be identical.
Search for trademark infringement, there are heaps of them...this one hasn't been decided yet but similarity is enough to make trouble.

ReplyQuote
Brent
(@brent)
Illustrious Member
05/09/2011 1:16 am  

Bizarre
It's so strange it seems almost a parody. Next I expect to see one with a rainbow flag commemorating Stonewall. Call it the "sodomeames". Tagline could be: After a long day of fighting homophobia, you deserve a rest.
I really dislike this chair.

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
09/09/2011 12:09 am  

Interesting comments when som...
Interesting comments when something unfamiliar shows up like when this chair first showed up in 1956 it was described by the purveyors of good taste as ugly and awkward, everyone during its time said the Eiffel Tower was the worst eyesore ever built and the best view of Paris is to be in it and even the now gone WTC sustained plenty of brutal comments too many to enumerate when it was completed in 1972.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register