Which chair for thi...

Which chair for this space?  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

NULL NULL
(@nickmaxsportmotors-co-uk)
Estimable Member
12/06/2007 12:25 am  

Recently just sold my 670/671 so now have an empty space to fill. Over the last few months it has been occupied by a number of different Pierre Paulin chairs, the mentioned 670, a Panton relaxer, some Danish offerings from Wanscher and Wegner. I'd really like something special & I don't have a limited budget - please fire away with the options!!!

Two chairs I really like are the Hans Olsen Bikini (which would be too small)and Kjaerholm's PK20.

koen
 koen
(@koen)
Illustrious Member
12/06/2007 5:02 am  

I am not an interior designer
but it seems to me that the Kjaerholm PK20 requires a very coherent almost minimalist environment, whereas the Bikini is a more tolerant, friendlier design that would fit better with your other choices. I might be spreading some heresy here but I find that stainless or chromed frames do better on a wooden, stone or tile floor and wood does better on carpet. Another reason to choose the Bikini.
As a design I prefer the PK20 but...

ReplyQuote
James Collins
(@james-collins)
Illustrious Member
12/06/2007 5:22 am  

wood on carpet
Be an iconoclast, how about this startlingly modern 1935 chair by Russell Wright.

ReplyQuote
azurechicken (USA)
(@azurechicken-usa)
Illustrious Member
12/06/2007 5:42 am  

COUNTERPOINT
is the best choice in most cases...

ReplyQuote
Antonella
(@antonella)
Noble Member
12/06/2007 6:48 am  

Lady
I would put Lady in beige.
http://www.designdictionary.co.uk/ENG/lady.htm

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
12/06/2007 6:50 am  

I agree with
Koen's material pairings. Could this be a generational thing ? It's justifiable I think but just feels intuitive to me.
I've never seen the Russel Wright chair ! How funny to compare it to Aalto (for instance). It has the earnest modernity and slight awkwardness of some "Early American Modern" -- shared with Jens Risom (later), perhaps, and Gilbert Rohde (earlier) ? It took a while for Saarinen and Eames, and others, to get us up to speed.
SDR U S A

ReplyQuote
Antonella
(@antonella)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
James Collins
(@james-collins)
Illustrious Member
12/06/2007 8:18 am  

Russell Wright vs Gilbert Rhode
This very chair, from 1935, is one of the first truly "modern" pieces of American furniture design.

Gilbert Rhode had the right idea but he couldn't resist adding a bit of fluff. Granted the fluff was made of modern materials or exotic woods, but it's still fluff.

His designs are often beautiful, sumptuous even, but very rarely modern. I think Wright on the other hand succeeded in creating something truly modern. Maybe not great modern but certainly good and from years of personal experiece a damn comfy chair for a large man (6'4" 195). I used to sit in an 18th century cogswell chair my mother gave me just because it was deep enough my knees didn't stick out in space.

ReplyQuote
Antonella
(@antonella)
Noble Member
12/06/2007 11:19 am  

NickR6TY, does the chair need...
NickR6TY, does the chair need to match the space as it is without furniture? Or, does it have to go with the furniture that is there already?
I don't like the Lounge Chair & Ottoman in that interior very much. It clashes conceptually with the other pieces of furniture. In fact all the pieces of furniture you have in the room don't go with one another. I think you should keep just one piece of your choice and start from there.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@paulannapaulanna-homechoice-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
12/06/2007 10:59 pm  

I'd be tempted to go for...
I'd be tempted to go for something 'hard' and light to offset the deep (Bellini?) settee - and something light enough that you can move easily so you can close the door! A Paimio? (except if you bought new you'd have to put up with gloopy Artek finish). Got £30,000 for for a Summers lounge chair? (no nor me!).A Breuer B35 would look peachy. And btw ignore whoever said nothing 'goes'in your room (is it becuase the cabinet and sofa were made a whole 50 years apart I wonder?) and having had a number of Lady chairs I can honestly say that for a small armchair they are both very heavy and very uncomfortable.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@nickmaxsportmotors-co-uk)
Estimable Member
12/06/2007 11:53 pm  

Thank you for the feedback...
Thank you for the feedback so far. I like the Breuer B35 and Paimio ideas a lot!
The sofa is actually modern, as is the chest obviously (which incidently will be changed to something rosewood and Danish along with my plasma screen cabinet).
Keep the ideas coming. I should add there is some chrome in the room (an arc lamp + the frame of my BelArti table) hence why I like the Aalto chair.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
Illustrious Member
13/06/2007 3:58 am  

Isokon short chair?
Isokon short chair?
http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1331_modernism/files/93/1935_lo...

ReplyQuote
norm
 norm
(@norm)
Noble Member
13/06/2007 6:38 pm  

My vote
My vote...

ReplyQuote
Antonella
(@antonella)
Noble Member
13/06/2007 11:50 pm  

Getting the right furniture i...
Getting the right furniture is not easy. Another idea could be hiring a designer for the purpose. The result is likely to be excellent. Also they don't "impose" their ideas on you, they just help you to develop your owns.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
Illustrious Member
14/06/2007 3:28 am  

Perhaps your designer could...
Perhaps your designer could source the furniture from 1stdibs....;)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register