tktoo
SHIITEE FUKKEE

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
09/08/2011 12:52 am  

Ssean
The new-vs-vintage comments you're seeing here have very little to do with build quality. Ikea chair quality is much lower than HM chair quality, regardless of the year of manufacture.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
09/08/2011 1:34 am  

Too funny!
but 1002 should read..
"Let's have a drink..then look at me!"
With love,

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
09/08/2011 2:13 am  

No, Ssean, that's the daybed.
! got the matching accent chairs, not to mention a bad case of the runs from those freaking meatballs.

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Illustrious Member
09/08/2011 8:18 am  

Well played, fastfwd...
I lol'd.

ReplyQuote
Olive
(@olive)
Illustrious Member
09/08/2011 10:59 am  

Hilarious!
Absolutely, out loud hiccuping guffaws! OMG, Fastfwd that was SO freaking beautiful. And spot on...completely. I'd say you nailed me precisely, that's for sure.
I'd like to submit one for whitespike:
1017: If kid spitup, crayons and mashed banana won't ruin it, buy vintage...if so, then get IKEA. But mod it and don't tell anyone where you got it. Just sit back and look artsy and inscrutable.
And one for LRF:
1018: Oh, I have about 3 of those in my garage, I just reupholstered them...do you like my stone wall?
Thanks for the big big laugh. It was marvelous. The Robert1960/Simon and SDR/Heath exchanges damned near killed me! And the Jyri one was pretty awesome too!

ReplyQuote
Pegboard Modern
(@davidpegboardchicago-com)
Illustrious Member
09/08/2011 12:13 pm  

Good work fastfwd
and I know I have not had as much time lately to participate in the forum, but I feel left out.

ReplyQuote
Olive
(@olive)
Illustrious Member
09/08/2011 10:44 pm  

OMG...
I am STILL laughing this morning...that was so incredibly funny!

ReplyQuote
sirlampsalot
(@sirlampsalot)
Reputable Member
09/08/2011 11:22 pm  

Vintage
I would say if you want the chair for life and you want a Nelson swag leg then hold on to your Ikea for now and be on the lookout for a vintage swag leg chair in good condition. That way you have the original design in the original material with the original dimensions. It may be pricey but you are planning on keeping it for quite a long while so......vintage

ReplyQuote
sirlampsalot
(@sirlampsalot)
Reputable Member
09/08/2011 11:22 pm  

Vintage
I would say if you want the chair for life and you want a Nelson swag leg then hold on to your Ikea for now and be on the lookout for a vintage swag leg chair in good condition. That way you have the original design in the original material with the original dimensions. It may be pricey but you are planning on keeping it for quite a long while so......vintage

ReplyQuote
LuciferSum
(@lucifersum)
Illustrious Member
11/08/2011 4:43 am  

LOL
I'm sad that I didn't make it onto the list. That being said:
Fiberglass was NOT the orignal material of the Eames shell chairs - Plywood was. (1938)
And when Plywood didn't work out for mass production they turned to ....stamped metal! (1945)
And when stamped metal didn't work out they turned to...fiberglass! (1950)
And when the fiberglass required too much handwork laying in the rope-edge they turned to....thicker fiberglass! (1954ish)
And when the solid steel tubing didn't work for making the H & X bases they turned to...tubular steel! (shrug)
Point being, there are dozens and dozens of iterations that happened to the chair over the course of the past 70 years.
Does one iteration assume legitimacy simply because it was the most prevalent? If that's the case then won't the polypropelene versions eventually assume legitimacy?

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Illustrious Member
11/08/2011 4:50 am  

I don't follow...
What do the plywood and stamped metal prototypes have to do with anything? The original material would refer to the that which was patented and put into production. By your logic, if Herman Miller started producing lucite shell chairs they would eventually become legitimate, simply because they're Herman Miller?

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
11/08/2011 5:25 am  

Ok, ok...
1020: There are dozens and dozens of iterations that happened to the Eames shell over the course of the past 70 years, and I'm intimately familiar with each of them. P.S. I heart George Mulhauser. -Lucifersum

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
11/08/2011 5:26 am  

Pegboard
Some people are so prolific and display such a wide range of interests or knowledge that their "signature" post can't be captured in just one line.

ReplyQuote
donsof
(@donsof)
Prominent Member
11/08/2011 5:39 am  

I like to buy vintage, and...
I like to buy vintage, and enjoy it for a few years. Then when you want to look at something else, you can sell it for about the same money or even more. Then you can rotate your collection with better or more interesting pieces. I do this all the time, and e-bay is a great place to get a true market read on things, and move your items out.
How many others think that there is a housing like bubble, going on with Eames fiberglass chairs? I am shocked at what arm and armless eames fiberglass chairs sell for these days. The H-M bubble is going crazy, even with repros on the market. I guess it does say most people must dislike the poly Eames chairs!
Early rope arm shells have doubled in the last 7 years. Even armless shells from 1965 will bring 150. I hope those values hold up.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register