Question about DWR/ Eames/ Nelson chairs  

Page 4 / 4
  RSS

Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
01/01/2012 2:37 am  

Parchment
Yeah I can see why you like the Parchment ones Woody.
Being light and translucent and rather neutral in coloring, they are able to take on the most subtle and beautiful of aging characteristics.
Parchment is also honest. Basic and timeless. Simply the natural color of the resin, correct?
I could burn through a whole thread full of questions about just shells, but I don't want to hijack the topic!

ReplyQuote
whitespike
(@whitespike)
Illustrious Member
01/01/2012 5:12 am  

Just saw this. Hilarious....
Just saw this. Hilarious. Right on, Olive!

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@ssean1013gmail-com)
Eminent Member
09/01/2012 7:45 pm  

Hey, thanks to everyone that ...
Hey, thanks to everyone that has been replying to this since I made it.
At the time, I was very new to this type of furniture, and have learned a bit more since then. Going back and reading my original question, I am kind of embarrassed.
I think I was just originally asking if the price of most notable or famous pieces reflects the quality, or if most MCM buyers just do it for the look of the furniture/lighting.
The question was brought about when I noticed construction materials of some of the more famous Eames tables to be Plywood, which naturally alarmed me.

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
09/01/2012 8:38 pm  

There is plywood and there is plywood.
And about a thousand different plywood varieties in between. I wouldn't be put off by its use unless it's of obviously inferior quality. In most cases it is a superior substrate for veneer, especially in larger dimensions when the weight of particle board and fiberboards becomes an issue.

ReplyQuote
LuciferSum
(@lucifersum)
Illustrious Member
11/01/2012 12:39 am  

@Lunchbox
The point of the different iterations is that they worked, up until a point, and then the Eames/Herman Miller changed the material. You can't get stuck in a single period of production and assume that only that period is "original" - especially now with someone like the Eames who were *constantly* tinkering with their designs.
Would a chair with glides made out of nylon not be considered original when compared to a chair with boot-glides? Or a tubular steel X base vs. a solid steel X base?
There were multiple patents for plywood chairs that didn't go into production, and no patents for some of the chairs that did so that's not really a valid argument.
I would agree with the terminology that the current chairs are a re-issue of the original shell chairs. But they are not reproductions in the common sense of that word.
Ps. I like George Mulhauser.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register