Design Addict

Cart

Four Matte White Pa...

Four Matte White Panton Vitra Chairs Need Help!  

RSS

vivatnovum
(@vivatnovum)
01/09/2021 4:56 am  

Hi All, 

This is my first time posting here! I am relatively new to collecting (and repairing!) vintage and vintage repro furniture. I recently picked up four newer production matte white Vitra Chairs for only $100 each! The catch is, they've definitely seen some heavy use and I'm guessing are probably at least a few years old. All four chairs have visible scratches and in some case, stubborn scuff marks even after a thorough (gentle) bath. Would anyone be able to share some tips for how to remove these scratches, or at least the scuffs, without completely removing the matte finish or damaging the chair? Or a way to remove these blemishes and reproduce the finish? Thanks in advance! Pic attached of the worst spot.

1630465008-vitra-damage-1.jpg

tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
04/09/2021 4:15 am  

Maybe try a poultice of water, hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda.

ReplyQuote
vivatnovum
(@vivatnovum)
04/09/2021 8:56 pm  

@tktoo2, thank you for the suggestion! Will the hydrogen peroxide damage the matte finish of the polypropylene?

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
04/09/2021 9:07 pm  

@vivatnovum, Doubtful, but it's always best to test any experimental treatment on small, less visible areas. You'll notice that I haven't provided proportions for mixing the poultice. Weaker to start, adjust if desired.

FWIW, if the chairs are solid polypropylene, I'd probably take them outside and blast them with a pressure washer before trying anything else.

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
13/09/2021 12:30 am  

Acetone may do the trick depending on what type of plastic it's made from.. You could try buffing with acetone and clean cloth.

ReplyQuote
Browkin
(@browkin)
Famed Member
27/09/2021 7:25 am  

I had some good result with artificial leather care products. Here is a company from Germany which offers such stuff: https://www.lederzentrum.de/ But I am sure any other brand would work as well. My (also white) Panton chair was like new afterwards. In that care products you have a cleaning foam, a sponge and usually a brush to clean the surface. I would use this for the whole surface. Try to work on the scratches with the brush, if they are still visible, I would use some acetone or turpentine to get rid of them. Firstly in a hidden area, to get sure acetone is not affecting the surface. 

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register