Disassambling Molle...

Disassambling Moller Chair #75  

RSS

Browkin
(@browkin)
Famed Member
04/11/2020 9:46 am  

Hi folks, 

working currently on some moller chairs, no 75. The left leg on one chair was damaged by a dog bites and I would like to change that leg. Fortunately, I have another broken chair that I could use the leg of. Never disassambled a chair before. Do I need for this just a hot air gun and a rubber mallet? Is there anything else I should take into consideration? 

Many thanks for your help. 

Browkin
(@browkin)
Famed Member
04/11/2020 9:53 am  

Photo

1604479999-3B251C6E-5FAE-4ECD-BA82-ABCA7D9B2A62.jpeg

ReplyQuote
Browkin
(@browkin)
Famed Member
04/11/2020 9:54 am  

Photo 

1604480056-C4779C71-DDE9-407D-8C52-7C1AD00EF7DA.jpeg

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
04/11/2020 5:47 pm  

I'm sure that @leif-ericson knows about these.

It's possible (if not probable) that the seat rail tenons interlock inside the legs determining proper order of assembly/disassembly. I think there were photos posted in a past thread on the topic if you can find it in the archive.

Steady but gentle heat, steam, hot water, rubber mallet are all helpful.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
04/11/2020 6:33 pm  

Possible, but you'd need to remove the cord and take apart a few joints, with risk of damage to the wood if some stubborn joints don't want to come apart.

I'd try out a wood dust and hide glue putty for filling in the voids, then a combo of oiling and tint markers to match as required. That technique can offer surprisingly decent results.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
05/11/2020 1:49 am  

You can disassemble this. I prefer @cdsilva’s solution. But if you must have a go: remove the cord. Remove the side rails from the rear legs. Then you get to a difficult point.  You can try to remove the backrest from the rear legs, but there is a lot of short grain there and I expect it will just split. Alternatively you could cut the backrest off the legs with a thin kerf Japanese handsaw and drill out the center of the dowels, split the outside ring of dowel out and replace the dowels with  you can remove the rear leg from the rear rail and put the new leg on.  

Incidentally, I have a couple of factory backrests for this chair.  They were never even finish sanded.  

ReplyQuote
Browkin
(@browkin)
Famed Member
06/11/2020 8:08 am  

Thank you very much. Sounds more complicated than I thought. But since all moller chairs I have had 

had surprisingly stable chair frames despite they were 50-60 year old, I expected disassambling this will

be not easy. I'll give it a try and see how far I can get. Will try not to split any legs. 

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
06/11/2020 10:33 pm  

Hey guys, it is irresponsible to advise someone to disassemble a chair - moreover with non-professional advices - if he has never done it before!

@Browkin, it is highly recommended not to disassemble the chair!

You risk completely damaging the chair if you've never done this before. It's real craftsmanship, you can't just do it incidentally if you have no idea about it.

cdsilva's suggestion is the best solution. You can get a very good result with his proposal.

ReplyQuote
Browkin
(@browkin)
Famed Member
10/11/2020 11:55 am  

I have a broken chair. So I will try myself on that first. If that not gonna work, I will keep the hands from the others. 

ReplyQuote
Browkin
(@browkin)
Famed Member
10/11/2020 11:56 am  

Thanks again for the help to all. 

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
10/11/2020 2:13 pm