10/05/2019 9:28 am  

?

1557473337-628F3C46-B7F8-4C10-9B67-A2EC8F50E6F0.jpeg

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
11/05/2019 12:42 am  

I've been kicked out of better places, though, admittedly, for more egregious offenses.

ReplyQuote
objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
11/05/2019 4:33 am  

Confess thy sins, child

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
11/05/2019 3:02 pm  

I spray-painted my vintage Herman Miller ES671 and I'd do it again.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
11/05/2019 3:05 pm  

<gasp>

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
11/05/2019 3:06 pm  

I wore a cordovan belt with a blue suit once.

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
11/05/2019 3:07 pm  

My hats are made from animal fur.

ReplyQuote
Fungus Mungus (USA)
(@fungus-mungus-usa)
Noble Member
06/08/2019 10:10 pm  

I've sanded through the veneer of a Danish rosewood table.

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
07/08/2019 1:46 am  

@Fungus,

A good Act of Contrition and a couple Hail Marys ought to cover that nicely.

If not, go with the spray paint and consider yourself absolved nonetheless.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
05/03/2020 4:44 pm  

Well, I seem to be back with you--for the moment, anyway.  Quite a struggle to reconnect !

How's evabody ?  Anyone seen Mark ?  How's tktoo, and Spanky, and . . . well, all of you ?

Love, Steve

1583423099-NakashimaSeagrass.jpg

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
06/03/2020 3:10 pm  

@SDR, Nice to see another familiar old face! Thought of you when I read that the Currier Museum of Art added a second Usonian to their collection. Two on the same street ...in New Hampshire!

Welcome back to what is now a very different place. No word from Mark nor nearly any of the other regulars that made the forum what it was. A few stalwarts hanging on and occasional drive-bys by some of the old gang are all that keep my habit going anymore. Seems the "new" hosts don't really give a shit.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
13/03/2020 3:13 pm  

Thanks, tk.  Geez---even the posting font is retrograde !  Looks better when posted.

102 pages of Old Timers.  Wow . . .

Yes---the Currier now owns the Kalil Usonian Automatic as well as the Zimmerman, a more conventional Usonian design (?).  Interestingly, the Zimmerman drawings were long missing from the Wright archives;  a number of them showed up last year at Heritage Auctions, where they brought thousands of dollars apiece---many presumably acquired for their Wright signatures rather than their architectural content ! It appears that these and a great many other late-period Taliesin drawings were "appropriated" by a known apprentice who was there for a few years in the 'fifties.  Someone made a bunch of money on them, 60 + years after the thefts.  I believe I heard that the Currier acquired, or was given, at least some of the Zimmerman sheets.

Hope you are well and happy.  I keep busy and am still well.  Let's hope the Trump virus passes us by . . .!

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
13/03/2020 6:06 pm  

@SDR,  I hope that things improve soon for you all out there on the left coast. It's getting worse here all of a sudden and the Mango Mussolini isn't helping. I look like the hick from Deliverance, so "social distancing" has never been a problem for me, but schools, churches, museums, etc are nearly all shuttered and store shelves are emptying as I write. Not a single roll of toilet paper to be had within a 20-mile radius unless you've got gold or ammo to trade I've been told. My plan is to offer my brain willingly to the first zombie that scratches at the door. Until then, I'll be wearing chartreuse loafers and partying like it's 1999 in honor of our dear aunt, Mark. It's what he would recommend.

lexi liked
ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
14/03/2020 12:39 am  

Helloooooo, SDR!  I was hoping you'd come back.  Now if Mark would just show up!  I hope he's ok.

I've been busy with various stuff and just got out of the habit of checking in here.  I got pretty aggravated with management there for awhile.  Oh well.  Life goes on. 

I did think of you all when I got a Dansk Rare Woods ice bucket (wenge--the one that looks like a Three Mile Island reactor) a couple weeks ago for $5---missing the lid and with a 1/8" split between the staves on one side and a slightly narrower one on the opposite side.  Plus another one that's about .5 mm at the bottom, that only goes about halfway up.  

I read an old discussion about repairing delaminated staves here, which was helpful in screwing up my courage to go ahead with it.  Also texted my big brother who knows about wood.  I couldn't actually narrow the gap at all by hand but i tried a band of woven polyester (no stretch) and a tourniquet and got it to within half a millimeter on the wider one and all the way with the narrower one.  I let that sit for a few days in case it might train the wood a bit---it didn't but at least i knew it could be done.  

I got 6 hr epoxy so as not to have to rush through the process.  It's been about a week now and it's holding ok.  The hairline split may be slightly wider but it's still under 1 mm.  I am gonna get some clear epoxy and try to work some of that in there, I think.  So far, so good.  

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
14/03/2020 3:12 pm  

@spanky, Wow, wenge? That would make it a rare example indeed! Post pics? I was just at my local hardwood dealer and noticed he has a pile of cut-offs for sale as turning blanks including a bunch of exotic species. It wouldn't be too challenging for an experienced craftsperson to fashion a reasonable facsimile of your missing lid.

Anyway, it's nice to see your posts here, as always. Glad to hear that you're well and still in the game. Thanks for being the best!

ReplyQuote
Page 102 / 112
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register