Cart

My CSS bookshelf  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

barrympls
(@barrympls)
Illustrious Member
18/10/2007 3:36 am  

American romantic modernism, not European streamlined modernism????
Are you kidding?
What was designed by George Nelson, Charles Eames, Warren Platner, Richard Schultz, Eero Saarinen, or Noguchi that is "American Romantic"????
Absolute poppycock.
Most of the similar period European furniture (other than the Italians and Arne Jacobsen in Denmark) I've seen are MUCH more romantic and traditional.
I prefer the American post-war designs, but I have nothing against the European stuff. The US designs were designed by architects, not interior designers.
If this forum is largely made up of European fans of quality design with a built-in prejudice towards Herman Miller and Knoll, then I'm sorry - there's nothing that need be said.

ReplyQuote
LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
18/10/2007 5:35 am  

I have two caddo ...
I have two caddo systems in my house. and i love them . I bought them from an estate this summer and they were three sets that i made into one big one but I like the Nelson css bookshelf's also ,
no way i could say one is better than the other. I think
Paul caddovitus, and George Nelson both did great work putting these shelfs together
I do like the the way Caddovitus did the pegs cause they are so Dannish and truly are a great fit and design.

ReplyQuote
dandelauro
(@dandelauro)
Eminent Member
26/10/2007 7:31 pm  

tension mounts and floor guides?
my wife and i just picked up a rather large CSS unit on craigslist from an older couple who bought it new in the 50's. we have 4 poles and enough shelves and cabinet units to build it out very nicely. the only problem i am having is i am missing one of the top tension pieces and the floor guides i have are pretty old. the nut is pretty much rusted to the bolt. i have seen a few pieces on ebay but nothing looks exactly like the ones i have.
can anyone recommend a dealer or somewhere i might be able to pick up the pieces i need?
also, how on earth do i put it together? i noticed at the beginning of this thread someone mentioned proper protocol. is there a secret book or manual somewhere?

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@paulbustownmodern-com)
Prominent Member
26/10/2007 7:43 pm  

css parts
There's a very nice local guy here that sells new-old-stock CSS parts on eBay. He bought a whole warehouse of parts so if there's something you need that's not online, I'd try emailing him and seeing if he can find you what you need. His seller name is rozellglassandmodern

ReplyQuote
barrympls
(@barrympls)
Illustrious Member
26/10/2007 9:59 pm  

dandelauro...I have the instruction manual
Dandelauro:
I was lucky enough to get a photocopy of the instructions for CSS.
I would be happy to scan the specific instructions and send it to you as an email attachment.
Let me know (barrymn1@msn.com)
Barry

ReplyQuote
dandelauro
(@dandelauro)
Eminent Member
27/10/2007 4:33 am  

barry with the instruction manual
barry,
thank you so much! i started to fumble my way through it but decided i would wait until i had some sense of how-to in front of me.
my email is dandelauro@gmail.com
thank you again...

ReplyQuote
Pegboard Modern
(@davidpegboardchicago-com)
Illustrious Member
02/11/2007 6:39 am  

We love our CSS
We love our CSS, we have some in our family room, my study, my wife's office and my kid has Omni in his bedroom. I guess we've been lucky, we've managed to come across quite a bit over the years. In fact, some came with our new (vintage modern) house this spring.
We also have a bunch of wall-mounted CSS available for sale. Some of it needs attention (mostly refinishing) but much of it it 48" wide. It came from an office, so there are mostly files, and cabinets, not so many shelves. If anyone needs some pieces, send me an email and I can let you know what components we have.
We are always looking for cool components we can use (like lights) so if anyone is interested in trading, let me know.

ReplyQuote
dandelauro
(@dandelauro)
Eminent Member
03/11/2007 3:49 pm  

thank you barry...
barry mn really made the assembly process easy by hooking me up with a manual. so, i wanted to at least show off what i was able to do inside of an hour vs. what i tried to do in 4 hours the day i bought it. unfortunately, we were only able to utilize 3 of the 4 poles we got because we're shy one tension mount at the top and a few shelf clips, but hey.. you can't beat what we got for $100 on craigslist...
thanks barry!
ps: if you need a manual.. he has pristine photo copies for sale on ebay... WELL worth it!

ReplyQuote
barrympls
(@barrympls)
Illustrious Member
03/11/2007 4:06 pm  

Dan...are they against the wall?
Dan; nice pix...did you rest the unit up against the wall? Despite the instructions, if you assembled floor to ceiling using the tension ceiling plates, I suggest you rest the whole sucker against the wall.
Over the years, I've heard to CSS installations falling down; because of that gap of 3" off the wall. (make SURE the top-to-bottom tension is darn tight....)
My one larger bookshelf rests against the wall, and with the stuff piled on the shelves (CD's, books and stereo equipment), resting against the wall, it's totally stable.
My one smaller bookshelf has shorter poles so I NEEDED to use wall stablizers and using those sets the whole system OFF the wall, so the stablizers were professionally anchored INTO the wall.
Compliated to be sure!
And all of this is for the rear mounted system (i.e. poles out front).
Their was another version that has the wall mounted 'poles' and the shelves and units front hanging.
Anyhow, glad the booklet helped you....

ReplyQuote
dandelauro
(@dandelauro)
Eminent Member
03/11/2007 5:23 pm  

its flush
barry,
yes, i have this butted up flush against the wall pretty well. i put up the desk piece first and used that as sort of an anchor while i leveled the other poles.
i have 3 of my 4 poles up now and the tension from floor to ceiling is about as tight as can be. in fact, the entire unit is so sturdy, i could probably hang from it.
what sucks is i have this 4th pole and a few shelves just crying to go up. and unfortunately i can't put the up without the tension piece that goes into the top of the pole. my ceilings are just high enough to where the pole won't fit without it - even with the foot pad extended as far as it will go.
heres a pic of the piece im missing... it's that small piece that slides into the top of the pole with the spring on it.

ReplyQuote
barrympls
(@barrympls)
Illustrious Member
03/11/2007 5:46 pm  

My clips and pole without the clip
Dan:
I sent these two pix to you personally, but thought I'd post 'em here too.
I have two clips....and 5 poles, so I didn't use them.

ReplyQuote
RetroSixty
(@retrosixty)
Illustrious Member
04/03/2009 8:43 pm  

Thought I would reply here...
Thought I would reply here albeit a tad late!! Here is a picture of my CCS below, I actually have a number of shelves, drop down desk unit and other items but sadly no spare poles! Does anyone know where I could get another 2/3 poles from, and maybe the wall brackets too? Been looking for an age 🙁

ReplyQuote
Pegboard Modern
(@davidpegboardchicago-com)
Illustrious Member
05/03/2009 1:32 am  

Nick
We have a 4 pole CSS system with a lot of shelves that we are not using and probably should sell. I thought we would sell it complete, but I suppose we might be willing to part it out. It is excellent condition and has black poles. Let me know if might be what you are looking for.
We also have an Omni set-up that we will be selling as well if anyone else would like a nice versatle storage system.

ReplyQuote
barrympls
(@barrympls)
Illustrious Member
05/03/2009 2:51 am  

Has anyone seen this 'new' alternative to the
rather rare and hard to find CSS?
It's called ISS
http://www.issdesigns.com/

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Illustrious Member
05/03/2009 7:39 am  

If anyone would like to just give one of these systems away...
... I'll happily accept. Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register