Design Addict

Cart

Modernica Ox chair

Modernica Ox chair  

RSS

millburn
(@millburn)
22/10/2014 1:22 am  

Greetings from foggy San Francisco. I am in the process of buying the ox chair from Modernica, but the comments about Modernica quality in general worry me a little. I did contact the factory and they sent a picture of the chair with a few scuffs and when I emailed them about it they said it was not a new chair like mine would be. But I wonder...It is an expensive item. Has anybody ever seen or sat in the Modernica version of this chair? I love it but for $2400 I would love some feedback if anybody has any. Thank you. Mike

LuciferSum
(@lucifersum)
Illustrious Member
22/10/2014 2:26 am  

I have one of the Modernica copies that I picked up cheap.  It's not a *bad* chair, its just not great, and I wouldn't have paid any more than I did ($800 on ebay) if I had seen it in person first. 
The details are sloppy.   The biggest issue for me is the piping on the ends of the horns and on the armrests.  Where they meet in the V shape the piping is just cut and hot glued in place.  It reads fine in photos, but when you touch the spots it feels very plasticy and cheap. 
Also, the legs on my footstool were screwed in 3 degrees off true.  Juuuust noticeable enough to drive me crazy.  I actually stashed it in a closet instead of using it.  
Im not sure what grade fabric mine is, but it's the exact same type of fabric used on lint brushes... so every speck of dust or lint gets stuck on there.  

Hope this helps!  It's a beautiful statement chair, and $3k is a lot less than $14K... but with all that money saved you lose a lot of what makes the authentic pieces so special. 

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
22/10/2014 8:40 am  

I can't speak to the Ox chair itself, but I've seen Modernica's video about the upholstery of their replica Papa Bear chair, and I've just been spending a lot of time re-upholstering a real Papa Bear, and it isn't the same at all...

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register