Page 3 / 9
  RSS

LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
19/05/2014 1:01 am  

The good stuff, Jacobson,...
The good stuff, Jacobson, Saarinen, Eames, Dunbar, knoll,Herman miller . will always bring the strong prices, It is the no name stuff that is falling in prices, Most young poeple would rather spend a few extra bucks to have a nice piece of MCM thango buy a big dated piece of 50s furniture, that looks bad .

ReplyQuote
keewee
(@keewee)
Noble Member
09/06/2014 6:12 am  

I agree with this...
I agree with this assessment. I think it got too expensive at the bottom end of the market and kind of drove people out. It also got super competitive so that people who are just looking for "the look" would rather just go buy it rather than compete with dealers.
I see things sitting on CL for a LONG time now and prices falling. I think people that used to haunt CL for finds are turned off by the flippers and the lack of bargains. Simultaneously the bargains they do chase almost always ends up going to dealers so potential buyers think that there isn't any way they are going to walk into a shop and pay top dollar for something they know a dealer paid almost nothing for last week.

ReplyQuote
Bubble and Squeak
(@bubble-and-squeak)
10/06/2014 12:13 am  

I see the same thing happenin...
I see the same thing happening on CL. Items sitting longer and people setting unrealistic prices based on what they see on the internet. Google search allows anyone to become a self-appointed, instant MCM expert and to wildly overstate their utter crap as something that it isn't. In addition, bargain hunting on CL, in thrift stores, etc with the intention of flipping has now become a mainstream public activity, thanks to certain TV programs promoting the mentality that anyone can snag a bargain and turn a profit.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
10/06/2014 12:38 am  

There are a couple of long established "upper end" Mid-Mod stores in my area whose usual merchandise is now being blended (layered?) with upper end 1980's brass and lucite. Perhaps retail survival requires re-inventing their concept as trends change...like any other business. But I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.
aloha, sweet aloha.
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
10/06/2014 8:00 am  

so let me get this straight?.
The MCM market is "slowing down" -- but only because prices are ridiculously high, due to the fact that people are more aware, and aren't letting go of things as easily as before?
How is this not logical? Prices always rise until people can't buy. If sales are slowing, it is only because prices (and interest) remain high.
It may be that for some dealers, it is no longer as easy as shooting fish in a barrel to find and flip MCM at easy price points. That is an entirely different phenomena than to say "the market is slowing down".
VOLUME of sales may be slowing, but not because of lack of interest. Conversely, it is due to ever-increasing awareness and appreciation of MCM that low priced pieces are becoming a thing of the past.

ReplyQuote
Starline
(@starline)
Prominent Member
10/06/2014 3:08 pm  

Mark that was my point when...
Mark that was my point when I suggested a nice marble for your side tables instead of timber.You or someone said marble was a bit 80s but done right this glam look has been going on for years at the upper end which usually filters down eventually in some way.
Glamorous style can mean different things to different people but here I am talking about the Kelly Wearstler,Nate Berkus,Jonathan Adler style interiors which are pretty big in the US.
Mid century modern will likely always be big as it's easily attainable but mixing it up is usually the way to go regardless of ones preferred style.

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
11/06/2014 2:41 am  

Mark and Starline
Or perhaps the dealers in your area can no longer easily find as many inexpensive mid century pieces, so they need to ratchet up the dates a few years.
Is it at all possible that the only easy "fish in the barrel" finds that remain are from the 80s era?
I know there are many good reasons to "blend" and mix furnishings, but I have to believe that to some degree, 80's is probably all they can find these days.
Necessity is often the mother of invention.

ReplyQuote
sophia
(@sophia)
Eminent Member
11/06/2014 11:17 am  

My sister works for a design...
My sister works for a design firm in California and about 6 years ago they redecorated the building and offices in a mid-century modern style. The place was filled with wonderful danish and american furiture.
Two months ago they completely changed it up and most of the mid-century is gone and replaced with very elegant and simple chrome and glass contrasted with pretty outrageous 1980's Italian styled stuff. I guess the proper term would be 'Memphis' but not sure if that describes the style or simply a company.

ReplyQuote
Starline
(@starline)
Prominent Member
11/06/2014 6:01 pm  

Sophia see if you can post...
Sophia see if you can post an image from your sister as to me it sounds awesome.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
11/06/2014 6:51 pm  

I've yet to learn to appreciate
~memphis design
~sushi
~Ettore Sottsass
~men who wear gold chains and gold teeth at the same time
~and more.
Best,
Your Aunt Mark
edited to say hi.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
11/06/2014 7:23 pm  

Hmmm
Chrome/glass + Memphis sounds like an interesting combo.
Mark, you are really missing out on quality sushi. It is divine. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
11/06/2014 8:30 pm  

Dear Aunt Mark,
Maybe you have never tried sushi other than manatee? Could that be the problem?

ReplyQuote
objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
12/06/2014 12:26 am  

I'd like to point out...
every ten years, fifty years ago gets ten years sooner.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
12/06/2014 12:46 am  

Hi *spanky*.
Actually, I've only feasted upon manatee knuckles served with pickled eggs and warm beer, natch. I will have a gourmand friend once again attempt to introduce me to the taste of culture. The inside of a human mouth is such an odd area of the body to experiment with. And what comes out can be even odder.
Hi,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
jw468
(@jw468)
Estimable Member
12/06/2014 2:43 am  

sophia,
It's interesting you should bring up your sister's firm's redecoration. I don't know how creditable it is, but about 1.5 months ago dezeen had a blog post predicting Memphis's return.
The combination of furnishings you mention is also interesting. Didn't Ettore Sottsass basically say that one only needed a few pieces of Memphis to set off a room, and that an interior furnished fully in Memphis would be overwhelming?
http://www.dezeen.com/2014/04/13/the-return-of-memphis/

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 9
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register