yeah
the learning curve LIVES!

ReplyQuote
kate kaplan
(@kate-kaplan)
Honorable Member
19/08/2014 10:01 am  

can't be that slow
I went to the LA Modern Auctions preview this spring, just to educate myself - beautiful Wegner desk - we kept looking at it (ok, lusting after it), reminding ourselves that it was much too big, and much too expensive (estimate was something like $5,000 to $7.000) and that we like the desks we already have ... and it sold for fifty thousand dollars. Somebody (somebodies) still like MCM.

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
19/08/2014 4:54 pm  

You should make precise...
You should make precise distinctions before you write such nonsense like "the MCM market is slowing down."
Firstly, there was a time when every piece of furniture - it just had to be made ​​of teak or rosewood and come from the sixties - was hyped as MCM.
The prospering trade with such rubbish is finally over, and this is normal.
Secondly, certain designs - especially of Eames and Jacobsen - are to find currently in every ordinary office, and it's a well-known fact: inflationary use of a design makes it boring, that's normal too.
Thirdly, well-preserved "stuff" of famous Danish designers sells gorgeous, and this stuff is getting more and more expensive, and that's a good thing because quality has its worth.

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
19/08/2014 6:08 pm  

not good
with generalizations of any kind, ay?
I guess the thread should have been named: "The MVC market is fine- and by the way, fiberglass sucks"
Just kidding mvc.

ReplyQuote
Cloudburst2000
(@cloudburst2000)
Famed Member
23/08/2014 7:54 pm  

I don't really know about...
I don't really know about how much the market is slowing down, at least, in terms of real estate. The nicely done mid-century modernish homes in this area get purchased very quickly. I will be in the market for a new home in the next year so have been watching the market. In the last couple of weeks alone, three nicely done mid-century have been snapped up within days of being put onto the market. There are still a few on the market but one is way over-priced for (size, location, and the person didn't do a very good job remodeling)...super cute on the outside but needs work on the inside. I hate when people try to charge more for a home with shoddy 'renovations'. Another home is overpriced for its area and needs quite a bit of work also. There are a couple of others available but they are in really bad areas so that is why they aren't selling.

ReplyQuote
LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
26/08/2014 3:30 am  

I do business direct with Her...
I do business direct with Herman Miller, Modernica, knoll.
Business in the MCM market is still fantastic. They say that all the new reissues of the last 10 years are doing better than ever. The designs are timeless. People are buying the old stuff.but new from these companies.One good thing cheap china fakes are drying up. Most people do not like newy newy modern it is cheap and cheesy.If they have money they want classic modern. So what is classic modern? MCM.
Also our company retro redo has had a record year in recovering eames shells. I feel this is cause Herman miller and modernica shells are very expensive new. Most people starting out want one nice piece of history so they start with a inexpensive arm shelf to build a collection on.

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 9
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register