Page 3 / 7
  RSS

Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
06/11/2015 3:29 am  

Nice ball, niceguy!
Somewhere I have a handful of Spinneybeck colored baseballs. Something that someone used to give me as host gifts. I had forgotten, and don't know where they now are. I used to put them in the mesh bowl on the kitchen Saarinen table. I was cool then. Or maybe not. Never owned a bat. Not yet.
Best,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
06/11/2015 3:59 am  

tktoo and Mark,,
The term LOL comes to mind at the inadequate and nice balls comments you guys posted. That is too funny.
Mark the idea of a bowl full of Spiineybeck baseballs is good. You may be cool, that is you to say...I know I was born cool.
I believe the joke is (I never owned a bat) "I dated a bat".

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
07/11/2015 11:09 pm  

Today Goodwill had a Jens Quistgaard Kobenstyle white enamel pot with cover for Dansk Designs France IHQ (approximately 6 quarts) for $2.49 net. It is mine now.

ReplyQuote
Peruche
(@peruche)
Prominent Member
08/11/2015 6:08 pm  

Another weekend find!
Drexel bookcase from their "Declaration" line. Ca.1961
Designed by Kipp Stewart & Stewart McDougall.
60" Wide - 16" Deep - 31" Tall
2 Adjustable Shelves
$450
Peruche

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
08/11/2015 10:55 pm  

niceguy, here is a timeline I found that lists the production periods for each Kobenstyle color. White is one of the harder to find as it was only produced during a two-year span.

ReplyQuote
Peruche
(@peruche)
Prominent Member
09/11/2015 1:26 am  

cdsilva,
Awesome Chart!!!
I downloaded it for future reference.
Thanks
Peruche

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
09/11/2015 5:18 am  

cdsilva,
Thank you for the information. I am also glad to know the "official" color names (I have also downloaded it for future reference).
Do you know how they were sold as regards to size. Were they measured in liters or quarts?
Thanks again and thanks in advance.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
09/11/2015 5:33 am  

Although Quistgaard was Danish and most early pieces made in Denmark, Dansk was an American company with the U.S. being the primary market. Therefore I believe all pieces were made (or at least marketed) in Imperial units: quarts, inches, etc.
Here is a Kobenstyle catalog price sheet.

ReplyQuote
bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
09/11/2015 11:26 am  

The other day I went to pick up some cabinets designed by Alfred Hendrickx (which were nice).
House was almost empty, except for one painting hanging solitary in one of the darkened rooms.
It was waiting to be taken to auction, as no one of the children had a wall for it (it's quite impressive)
and they wanted to split the result.
Although our interior is quite 'young' and all the furniture is 50-60-70s I couldn't resist it's strong and convincing style of painting. It's done by Marcel Pire, an artist trained at the Royal Academy of Brussels.
I told the two sisters present that I had some money left in my wallet, putting forward a strong but sensible offer and they went with it (without consulting with the two brothers and the family friend who was about to pick it up).
I like it a lot and my wife too, but she's unsure about the frame and if it fits an interior like ours (read: grete talk lounge chairs, pastoe cabinets, eames pieces...)
Actually, we're just done renovating and are now looking what to keep, what to sell and what to buy.
Great but puzzling times..
What do you think?

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
09/11/2015 6:08 pm  

Found something decent and affordable to furnish the spare bedroom. Some of the pieces of the Drexel Perspective line attributed to Milo Baughman(?) with Mindoro wood and dark stained maple.
4 drawer chest $8
open shelving unit $8
full size bed frame, headboard, footboard and rails $16 (it seems I over paid compared to the first 2 items)
A Russel Wright-ish vintage full size plaid linen bed cover $1.25
and a post modern halogen floor lamp by Ron Rezek for Artemide for $5 (in front of door)
None are pedigreed or icons of 20th century design but useful and functional objects in excellent and original vintage condition and all for under $40.
Lesson: Don't judge a thrift store by its cover.

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
09/11/2015 6:41 pm  

cdsilva,
Thank you for the follow-up documentation. It was also my best guess that it was marketed in Imperial units. Majority rules (until convinced otherwise).
Upon further inspection my recent Kobenstyle piece appears to be the largest at approximately 8 quarts.
Again, thank you for all the information and documentation.

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
09/11/2015 6:48 pm  

I wonder if the web Milo Baughman attribution is based on this sideboard with open shelves that he did designed for Glenn of California in the early 1950s.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
10/11/2015 2:56 am  

I've been looking for some dinnerware that works for both every day and nicer occasions because I just don't have room to store two entire sets. I spotted a bunch of Apilco Tradition at my favorite thrift store yesterday but it was divided into odd groupings and included some other dishes that belonged to a different set (clearly marked but someone screwed up). I asked if they would regroup it, mostly because I'm kind of OCD about keeping sets of anything together---and of course they refused because just never do anyone any favors there. So i said screw it.
But then I went back today and it was 1/3 off so I said screw it again, and bought it! I wasn't sure I wanted plates with wide lip, and in an ideal world I'd like something a little more mod, I guess...but then I got them home and i really like the feel of them. They're made for restaurant use but aren't nearly as clunky as, say, Hall china. So I decided to keep them!
Best part: paid about $50 total for 11-15 pieces each of 4 different things. Retail value for these Apilco pieces, new, from Williams-Sonoma---$780!! wheeee!!!

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
10/11/2015 6:46 pm  

When I purchased the previously mentioned Kobenstyle enamel 8 quart casserole I also found and acquired some Ingrid Ltd melamine pink dinner plates, salad plates and bowls for Ingrid Chicago.
I was forced to record them myself as I could not locate any decent "stock photos". I photographed the entire collection (small) at the same time.
My main interest is Massimo Vignelli for Heller (extensive collection), I buy Ingrid when the opportunity arises. The quality of Ingrid dinnerware is above average (my opinion).

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
10/11/2015 7:22 pm  

I hope everyone into Dansk had seen the documentary DVD 'The Designer Jens Quistgaard: A Saucepan for My Wife' from 2010.
My own collection of functioning Dansk Kobenstyle with other cook pots by Copco, Iitala and Corning Pyroceram Bufett Servers, inspired me to make a mismastched shelving for our kitchen made of stacked boxes from discarded plywood, mdf, melamine panels and left over paints from the jobsite.
Useful and beautiful to look at.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 7
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register