The Last Thing You Acquired # 37  

Page 4 / 8
  RSS

aviilu
(@aviilu)
12/02/2015 12:27 am  

Gunni Omann executive desk.
Here's the story:
I got it from a local junkyard sale for 40 bucks. I liked the look and needed a desk anyways. I suspected it might be from the 60s and teak but had no idea whatsoever what it turned out to be once I got home and did extensive research online.
The ones I have seen online are all rosewood. I feel like mine looks more like teak though. I wonder if this desk was made of both woods ...
The edges of the drawers need to be replicated. Can this be even done? I dare not to refinish this on my own or anything. Need to find a professional.

ReplyQuote
jdip
 jdip
(@jdip)
Illustrious Member
12/02/2015 12:32 am  

Robert....so odd, was digging around in my closet yesterday and swear I found that same light blue vase you have in your pic.  I cant remember if it is vintage or new.  Do you know?

ReplyQuote
Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
12/02/2015 12:35 am  

They're an international bunch. The green, hourglass vase is West German, the off-white is Russell Wright USA, and the pale yellow is Holkham UK!

ReplyQuote
jdip
 jdip
(@jdip)
Illustrious Member
12/02/2015 1:00 am  

Thanks

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
14/02/2015 10:49 pm  

Picked up a Danish teak bullet desk earlier in the week to replace a Hooker Mainline in a guest bedroom. I've seen the same desk design a few times online (some with the front fold down door missing like mine), but none of them have any attribution. Two items for this desk are interesting:
1) the Nike-like swoosh "support" braces for the legs. They appear to be mostly visual rather than functional. I haven't seen this brace design anywhere else.
2) the side door was locked with a snapped key shaft still jammed in the cylinder. The seller had said he never opened it, but could hear that there was some stuff inside. I was able to open the lock fairly easily by wedging an Xacto blade in a gap and turning (still can't remove the broken key shaft from the cylinder though), and was surprised to find quite a bit of stuff fall out. It felt a bit like one of those storage locker auction shows getting it open and poking through the stuff. By the contents within, I was able to determine that it was a childhood desk of a kid who grew up in a nearby suburb. The drawer does not appear to have been opened in at least a couple of decades, with the majority of stuff from the mid-late 70's and early 80's. Nothing too valuable though; some miscellaneous coins from around the world, three Eisenhower dollar coins (these guys are huge), and a 10 pesos bill from Mexico from 1951. I think I tracked down the kid (now adult) and sent him a note to see if he wants some old photos/letters/junior high diploma back. We'll see if he responds.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
15/02/2015 1:22 am  

Nice desk.  I suspect it may be hard to identify, unfortunately, as I'd love to know who made it.

There is a desk very similar in form that I have seen credited to Bjerringbro Møbelfabrik (and I think more highly of such attributions when there is no clear financial incentive for the attribution):
http://www.designaddict.com/buy-and-sell/Furniture/desks/Freeform-rosewo...
You might compare construction details like the drawer front sides.  I've noticed this area tends to have a lot of details that a company would carry across designs.

Also, Feldballe's Møbelfabrik (FM) made the Kai Kristiansen 54 which looks similar.  You could see if construction details match (I can help you here, but I do doubt that it is FM).  

And then there are the Ikast Møbler desks.

And then there are a variety of other similar Danish desks on Lauritz that are unidentified. 

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
16/02/2015 5:18 pm  

Yeah, I am not too hopeful of finding the designer/manufacturer. I did come across those similar designs you posted during a few Google searches. While the forms are comparable, none of the details seemed to match.
Yesterday I reconditioned the wood and got to know the construction a little better. The teak veneer is on both hardwood and in some places particle board. The drawer faces are solid teak without dovetail joints, so I'm guessing doweled connections to the drawer sides. The curved door uses a continuous piano hinge. I'm therefore guessing this desk is from either the late 60's or early 70's.
There is one marking clue that doesn't help much right now: the number "525" is printed in an unusual black script-like font on the underside of the desktop (forgot to take a photo of it). Looks like a possible model number to me. I can't imagine too many manufacturers using that font, so if similar markings pop up in the future, I'll reopen the case.

ReplyQuote
waldorf
(@waldorf)
Prominent Member
16/02/2015 7:47 pm  

this weekend i picked up this Cado wall unit with special cabinets for hi-fi equipment with woven teak veneer and
original loudspeakers. Horrible pics, but the wall unit is in very good condition with a fantastic grain.
Also an unusual Wilhelm Renz bureau WR 119

ReplyQuote
difeliciantonio
(@difeliciantonio)
Noble Member
19/02/2015 1:46 am  

Found a couple things today.
-Finnish fish trivit by Arabia
-Figured teak bent plywood tray. Marked "made in Denmark" in gold letters. No idea to who makes it
-Set of 4, Figgjo Flint of Norway, soft boiled egg plates. Love the colors they have. Wouldn't mind of of the other stuff they have made.
These are some of the first Scandinavian pottery items I've found. I normally find teak dansk trays and stainless steel bowls and trays from either Sweden or Denmark

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
19/02/2015 3:36 pm  

Nice, I've always liked that fish trivet.

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
19/02/2015 6:35 pm  

I found the Marc Castelló and Sergi Teixidó Glodos Bit walking bike for Barcelona Toys for a few dollares at Goodwill.  Rather than submit the same dull photo of small children and their toy I placed my Steiff Studio Teddy Baby 0097 of 1500 limited edition 1949 replica for FAO Schwarz® (75cm) in the image.  Good toys rule.

ReplyQuote
Grendel_The_Cat
(@grendel_the_cat)
Noble Member
23/02/2015 10:03 pm  

I had a wisdom tooth pulled on Friday, couldn't do my usual drive to the shops, so I got nicely buzzed on painkillers and bought two Blu Dot barstools and a Dainishy looking coffee table on CL.  ...and bid on some rugs (which I did not win) and apparently bought some Avon as well.  I'm scared to look my browser history from the day of the surgery. 

ReplyQuote
waffle
(@waffle)
Illustrious Member
24/02/2015 3:30 am  

mystery purchases!  Always entertaining.  
I bought this lamp today mostly because it was unlike any other lamp I have seen, and I am a lamp guy.  Plug and works are old.  Base is cast.  Weighs a ton.  What kind of globe/shade/other do folks think I should put up there?  It's only 2 1/2" across.   I think I'll just try a HUGE globe bulb and see how that looks

ReplyQuote
Amazake
(@amazake)
Prominent Member
28/02/2015 12:54 am  

Pretty cool constructivist Art work on Masonite I bought today 

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
28/02/2015 8:31 pm  

waffle- A clear G40 bulb might look nice.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 8
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register