Ib kofod Larsen

Ib kofod Larsen  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Brandtcopenhagen
(@brandtcopenhagen)
Eminent Member
28/12/2014 10:02 pm  

Hi everybody I have a set of these chairs marked "selig". Does someone know if it is Ib Kofoed Larsen? Nina

tchp
 tchp
(@tchp)
Illustrious Member
29/12/2014 4:51 am  

Is this a photo of the actual chairs you own?

ReplyQuote
Brandtcopenhagen
(@brandtcopenhagen)
Eminent Member
29/12/2014 12:47 pm  

Yes, i have 3 chairs

ReplyQuote
tchp
 tchp
(@tchp)
Illustrious Member
29/12/2014 3:08 pm  

Are they marked with the typical round badge with the Danish flag on it, that says they are made in Denmark exclusively for Selig? What does the backrest part of the frame look like? (Or is the backrest fully upholstered, and not a loose cushion?)

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
29/12/2014 3:20 pm  

Very rare to see Selig pieces in a Denmark. Lauritz shows that a few are there. (Perhaps you don't think these are Selig, tchp?)
This forum doesn't do value, but I will tell you that with so few comparables, nobody's guess would have any basis.

ReplyQuote
tchp
 tchp
(@tchp)
Illustrious Member
30/12/2014 5:16 am  

Leif, I have not really seen this chair before, so I just wanted some additional information. The general shape of the armrest is like something Kofod Larsen would do.  The very wide side stretcher boards are more atypical in my mind though, as is the sweeping curve where the armrest meets the legs.  Very nice looking lounge chairs in any case.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
30/12/2014 5:52 am  

Ah, I thought perhaps you had something up your sleeve. I've never seen these before, not that that means anything.  But as you say, I wouldn't immediately think these are Selig. In fact, I would pointedly guess they were not Selig. 
But then they are marked, so that is that. The world just needs more Selig catalogs. 

ReplyQuote
tchp
 tchp
(@tchp)
Illustrious Member
30/12/2014 6:06 am  

Leif, being a bit of a cynic, I would probably still want to see a photo of the chair showing the Selig badge.
I can pretty easily imagine Selig starting a production run on a new chair model, then pulling the plug for whatever reason -- too costly to produce, poor consumer response, etc., and then selling off the remaining inventory to the local European market.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
30/12/2014 6:45 am  

I share your cynicism. Just refrained from stating it. But it needed stating. So, thanks!  And there was a bit of glibness to the comment about Ib Kofod Larsen being the usual suspect.  I've been working on a couple of Selig chairs today, and thinking up some strange thoughts.
On the topic of Selig, do you know when they started importing from Denmark?  Or more to the point, when the collaboration with Poul Jensen started?

ReplyQuote
tchp
 tchp
(@tchp)
Illustrious Member
30/12/2014 7:17 am  

I was hoping this court document would mention those dates, but it appears to only mention the stateside aspect of Selig's business dealings.
http://masscases.com/cases/sjc/355/355mass671.html
So no, I don't know when Selig first began importing from Denmark.  The patent documents filed jointly by Kofod Larsen and Selig that I have seen are dated 1957.  Not sure if I have seen anything earlier thus far.

ReplyQuote
Brandtcopenhagen
(@brandtcopenhagen)
Eminent Member
30/12/2014 9:10 am  

Dear all Thank you for all the interesting input. They are all 3 marked with Selig. I have asked auction house Lauritz and Bruun-Rasmussen. Both reply with it is Ib kofod Larsen chairs. But they are very carefull with setting an estimate on the value of the chairs. The back of the chairs are fully upholstered. They have been re-upholstered (not prof). The original is under, but has stains. The wood looks like teak in the structure, but darker. Not mahogany or rosewood. The arms are similar to the other Ib Kofod Larsen chairs.
I can take some more photos for you incl the badge
Regards Nina

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
30/12/2014 3:37 pm  

Take a close up of the wood. It is very possible they are stained beech.

ReplyQuote
Brandtcopenhagen
(@brandtcopenhagen)
Eminent Member
30/12/2014 9:45 pm  

A little something for the skeptics 🙂
Round mark with danish flag and text 

Will say that the badge on this chair has been moved from its original place by prevous owner when repholstring. It is located under the fabric on the two other chairs. 

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
30/12/2014 9:55 pm  

Looks like the wood is Afrormosia.  Not quite certain because the shots aren't very close, but it looks much more like that than like teak or stained beech.  I suppose it could be a walnut, but the grain looks more like Afrormosia than walnut.
The zig zag springs make me think the upholstery has been completely redone.  Possibly they changed how the whole seat works....

ReplyQuote
Brandtcopenhagen
(@brandtcopenhagen)
Eminent Member
30/12/2014 10:09 pm  

Hi Leif. The photos get smaller here. If you have a amail og write me i will be happy to provide you with close up of the wood. 

And yes, this one has in some way been changed/repair because it had a broken board. I will see how the other two are under. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register