Favorite Watch and Automobile of the Design Addicts  

Page 7 / 9
  RSS

NULL NULL
(@paulannapaulanna-homechoice-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
21/08/2013 4:47 am  

Revolting
Just a big F U to the planet huh? But no doubt other winkle dicked rednecks with aggression issues will love it.

ReplyQuote
onegroovydude
(@onegroovydudegmail-com)
Famed Member
21/08/2013 5:05 am  

I don't care
if you want to hate the planet. That's up to you. Redneck means your neck is red from working hard out in the sun all day. I don't think there's anything wrong with hard work. A redneck is not a hick per se. And why would wanting a fast vehicle make anyone angry? That makes no sense...

ReplyQuote
Starline
(@starline)
Prominent Member
21/08/2013 9:43 am  

Paulanna bravo for your...
Paulanna bravo for your green stance but those that live in glass houses,you know.
While the truck may be inefficient onegroovy's other ways may make up for it.Vintage design is one of them which is recycling where as you may drive a useless Toyota Prius yet shop or live unsustainably in other areas.How would anyone know.
By the way a Toyota Prius is more than double the price a similar car just to save emissions.The stupid thing is that a small car is similarly green efficient without the wasted cost but they won't say that.
This is offtrack but reports estimate China will increase it's emissions by 2.5million tonnes per year for the next 20.We have a carbon tax our countries people and businesses to save 150,000 tonnes.India is expected to increase similarly to China.
We sell them as much as they will take for the 'cash baby' but our citizens must pretend to save the earth through higher costs of living and business.
Yes I recycle and try to avoid waste in general but the rhetoric is mainly smokes and mirrors unfortunately.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/china-and-indias-pursuit-of-coa...

ReplyQuote
onegroovydude
Famed Member
21/08/2013 10:02 am  

Ohh...
Now I understand. He thought I was a polluter. We can't all drive a Prius. If thats the case, we should never drive anything but pedal, electric, or solar powered. Any gas is too much, making a prius driver no better in the long run. It's not like I'm using some kind of toxic fuel that no one else uses.
That's a complaint you need to file with the world, not me. I didn't remove the cat converters or something, and I burn the highest octane. I also never litter, and stop on the back country roads to help turtles across safely. I think I'm hardly the problem.

ReplyQuote
DavidR
(@davidr)
Estimable Member
21/08/2013 11:53 am  

Onegroovydude, while I'm not...
Onegroovydude, while I'm not a huge fan of pickup trucks, kudos to you for that statement. That is all.
Kindly,
David
P.S. Why don't more people buy used things? Nothing bugs me more than people that refuse to buy a used car, but pretend that they are going to save the planet by buying a Prius. Do they understand how much energy was required to make that silly vehicle?

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
21/08/2013 12:31 pm  

It's a little presumptuous, isn't it...
to assume that everyone who buys a Prius does so for environmental reasons, or that anyone who DOES buy one for those reasons is an idiot, delusional, or self-deceiving.
And what about the person who buys a used Prius? He's ok, right? But of course it's only possible for him to buy that car used because someone else bought it new. Hmm.

ReplyQuote
bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
21/08/2013 12:40 pm  

I just don't like that truck 🙂
Sorry, groovydude. For me it looks like a plastic, badly proportioned toycar, inflated to american standards: a big mac on the road.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
Illustrious Member
21/08/2013 4:31 pm  

Quite. Ugly and aggressive
Usual philosophy of 'you first'when it comes to energy consumption. Why bother saving energy cos someone is China is using more......
onegroovydude obviously views the public road as some kind of playpit and frankly it baffles me that anyone could think a phrase like "cars would fly in the ditch to get out of your way going down the highway" is in any way acceptable. Aren't there other, more suitable forums out there where fat americans can boast about being a menace on the road? Ones where they also discuss handguns and chilli dogs. Why choose DA?

ReplyQuote
pubpat
(@pubpat30yahoo-com)
Trusted Member
21/08/2013 6:07 pm  

Bravo Paulanna!
It's not...
Bravo Paulanna!
It's not the first time that DA is misused by some guys who are playing their puberal macho games.
Schoolyard mentality.

ReplyQuote
Starline
(@starline)
Prominent Member
21/08/2013 6:32 pm  

Paulanna,
To assume...
Paulanna,
To assume americans are all fat and eat chilly dogs is like assuming all English are drunken slobs with bad teeth.
Yes we really don't need big gas guzzler cars but I think more damage is done by the throwaway society.
Why not ban Walmart and Ikea type stores across the board from pumping out crap that does not last long.Increase the quality and price of items and people will think twice before they throw it out as well as it would last much longer.
So people save energy at home thinking it the right thing to do which we all do sure.
But then they keep consuming cheap throwaway crap made in China which is half the reason their emissions are so high in the first place.
The problem is just pushed into someone elses backyard while pretending to be the good citizen.
As I said before it's all smokes and mirrors unless you live like the Amish.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
Illustrious Member
21/08/2013 6:48 pm  

Everything you say is correct but you reach the wrong conclusion. You assume that because others do wrong that you doing something right is a waste.
I'm sorry if you find my objecting to irresponsible road users (who also pollute) so objectionable in itself. If you think someone who uses a large powerful vehicle in an obviously aggressive way (and also to race against others on open roads that you/we all use)is 'groovy' then I'm sorry. Wait til he or someone of his ilk takes out a friend or family member. Also I didn't by any means suggest that all Americans are fat did I? So why suggest I did? As a matter of fact its only slightly more than 1 in 3.

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
21/08/2013 7:24 pm  

Pub,
in a true democracy, the majority rules. Your complaint is best brought before the membership committee, no?
Paulanna, while I share your sympathies, the fact is that we are a capitalist society built on fossil fuels. Until there is the societal and political will to change that, we are free to consume all that we can personally afford.

ReplyQuote
onegroovydude
Famed Member
21/08/2013 8:03 pm  

Hey...
It's ok BJ... To be honest. I never wanted a truck. For a while I got out of the asphalt business, and that's when I drove cars, like my Audi. But once I got back in it, I had to have a truck to keep all of my equipment in the back, and I also needed the ability to haul something if possible.
At the same time I wanted something that had some muscle for when I'm at the stop light, and one of the thousands of European car driving yuppies want to look cool in their slk or carrera with their dolled up girlfriend flying in and out of traffic like they they own the world, because they have the money to afford a $70,000 vehicle when most people can't. I drive it though like an everyday vehicle, and only race when I'm nudged. Which 9 times out of 10 is by someone in a foreign car.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
21/08/2013 8:19 pm  

In defense of onegroovydude.
Pick-up trucks (even rare models on major steroids) are practical forms of transportation, in that they offer the rear portion for hauling whatever will fit..and/or sleeping. I would guess that his newish machine gets much better fuel economy than the old Ford(1989?) F150 that I recently acquired.
Best,
Aunt Mark
ps Carrera for $70K?? Not since the early 1990's.

ReplyQuote
onegroovydude
Famed Member
21/08/2013 8:47 pm  

The funniest apart you Pualanna
is that you're so clueless, you think you're gonna solve the world's issues by blaming an american made truck. If you didn't just blame America for your problems, you'd know that the majority of roads here are polluted by Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Volvo, Saab, Infiniti, Acura, and Lexus, followed by VW, Toyota, Nissan, and then Honda. Or giant semi's made by Volvo. American cars are the minority in America. You talk about big powerful vehicles. What about small powerful vehicles? Are they ok? Your sense of logic seems to be very obscured by the real facts.
I said people fly in the ditch because I had a lightbar on my truck, and they thought I was a highway patrol. They didn't actually fly in a ditch. They let you by easy when you pass, because they're scared of cops. Not because I'm doing 150 down a busy interstate making them jump median's for their life. Seriously. Get real.
Every car on the road is designed to go at least 95, and almost every foreign car goes to 125 or higher. Are you saying that people who drive foreign cars don't speed? If so, that's a lol joke. Cars have been going fast since the duesenberg. And faster every year since. Mostly tuned, and perfected by foreign countries. Standard cruising on UK motorways is about 80-90 in the outside lane, lorries at 60 on the inside. As a whole, you drive faster than anyone here. And you're contributing just as much pollution as any other country, so you can stop with the holier than thou bit. My vehicle has a tuned V-10 in it. Not a diesel guzzling brut, with smokestacks coming out of the bed, and black fog everywhere I go. It's the same type of V-10 used in every mercedes, bmw, Ferrari, Lamborghini...etc. Built for speed, not extreme hauling power.
It doesn't matter anyway, because wrecks and deaths happen at all speeds. A foreigner was texting on her cell phone in a prius, and ran off the road killing an American. Was that ok? Was it ok for the american to die because he was american and got hit by a foreigner? Or was it ok because the car wasn't speeding? Or was it ok because the car was small? Or was it ok because the car was good on emissions? Or was it ok because the car wasn't american made?
Only fat americans drive fast, causing accidents because people who drive foreign cars are thin, classy and cultured and only go 45 everywhere, while they listen to Mozart, and sip their macchiato. Give me a fkn break. More than half the accidents caused here are by foreigners who don't know how to drive at 50 miles an hour, not by people that grew up driving fast cars from a country where muscle has been all the rage since the 50's. You're really un-educated Paulanna, and don't need to comment on threads where you obviously only know what you read in smog weekly.

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 9
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register