Arabs love Rococco  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

HP
 HP
(@hp)
Illustrious Member
11/06/2007 11:58 am  

Has anyone noticed this? Or can anyone explain it? Anytime I see an Arabic private or State interior on the television its crazy! Enough curlicues, pink marble and gilt to stun Imelda Marcos.

And Japanese people go crazy for Danish furniture it seems.

wny?

azurechicken (USA)
(@azurechicken-usa)
Illustrious Member
12/06/2007 5:51 am  

Middle East in general,faux...
Middle East in general,faux Louis everything and eye popping color,nothing is too vivid...Japan stong love of wood in a more "natural state"also great buyers of quality books on modern design written in english...tastes oddly like Germany in this...

ReplyQuote
dcwilson
(@dcwilson)
Illustrious Member
12/06/2007 9:26 am  

americans love beige...
add that into your generalizations. 🙂

ReplyQuote
azurechicken (USA)
(@azurechicken-usa)
Illustrious Member
12/06/2007 10:50 am  

P.C. is beige...and very also American...

ReplyQuote
James Collins
(@james-collins)
Illustrious Member
12/06/2007 11:05 am  

stereotypes
...and Persians all like blue shag carpeting.
comon people, let's be better than that...

ReplyQuote
azurechicken (USA)
(@azurechicken-usa)
Illustrious Member
12/06/2007 11:22 am  

Sorry all world cultures have the same color/design tastes...

ReplyQuote
dcwilson
(@dcwilson)
Illustrious Member
13/06/2007 8:31 am  

In the cave art of France...
there is reputedly a painting and corresponding petroglyph that anthropologists recently translated as: "Neanderthals all wear deerskin loincloths." This was just before the homo sapiens slaughtered to extinction the Neaderthals. 😉 Generalizations have always been dangerous.

ReplyQuote
HP
 HP
(@hp)
Illustrious Member
13/06/2007 9:12 am  

I'll broaden it then, what...
I'll broaden it then, what is it in the character of dictators that responds to heavily decorative styles?
Why has the left or liberal democracy (often but not allways) patronised what we would call modern whereas the right constantly exhibits poor taste 🙂
I hope thats not too dangerous.

ReplyQuote
azurechicken (USA)
(@azurechicken-usa)
Illustrious Member
13/06/2007 8:18 pm  

This strong desire on peoples part,to deny/not discuss cultural difference is dull and pc,it dulls the rainbow.Better HP than pc...

ReplyQuote
Olive
(@olive)
Illustrious Member
14/06/2007 2:39 am  

A book somewhere
i remember a review of a book somewhere about Dictator's Design Style...to a despot they seem to love overbearing overly ornate design. And I agree I get tired of the vanilla rainbow stuff too. Why can we discuss differences without it turning into a PC versus bigot slugfest? We ARE different, culturally, politically, religiously never mind moralities, sexualities and economies. C'mon why do we have to be better than our differences? Viva la diference!

ReplyQuote
James Collins
(@james-collins)
Illustrious Member
15/06/2007 4:21 am  

pc or not pc
Nobody is being pc, it's just ignorant to make gross global generalizations, arabs love roccoco, americans love beige, gays love Cher, that neither enlighten nor instruct.

ReplyQuote
HP
 HP
(@hp)
Illustrious Member
15/06/2007 4:32 am  

I don't consider myself...
I don't consider myself ignorant and I do think I have sense of humour, if you've never made a generalisation in order to support a statement you must speak very little.
The examples you gave all touch on thing that are perhaps a little incendiary for you or your country? All the more reason to discuss I would have thought.
Had I said anything as banal as "Australians love sport" I doubt there would have been any reaction.
I think Mussolinis short lived patronage of Terragni (sorry about the spelling) was interesting and that Tecta (?) still produce chairs originally made under the auspices of a fascist state is interesting aswell.

ReplyQuote
vivienne
(@vivienne)
Illustrious Member
15/06/2007 4:36 am  

James...
When is that wedding you are going to?.

ReplyQuote
koen
 koen
(@koen)
Illustrious Member
15/06/2007 6:40 am  

Talking about weddings...
Vivienne, some years ago I was invited to have lunch with one of the well known american designers. On the way to our lunch he mentioned that we were actually going to a "close and dear" friend of his. The reason according to his "excuses" was that he had promised to attend the "wedding" brunch organized by his friend, and realized too late that he had promised to have lunch with me. We drove up a long private road on one of these beautifull New England hills when he gave me a last advise: Before anybody has a chance asking you something, ask them if they are family of the bride or the groom. If the answer is bride, pretend to be part of the groom's family and of course the other way around if your curious guest is family of the groom. Before I knew it a valet had opened the door and we joined an impressive garden party. When I catched up with him two hours and a lot of champagne later, I asked him: "Do you really know this people?" Knowing my dear collegue, the answer did not come as a surprise."..of course I do not know them, but it works all the time!...." I never got the time to look at their footware, I guess I should have.

ReplyQuote
vivienne
(@vivienne)
Illustrious Member
16/06/2007 1:29 am  

Koen...
What a good idea!!! i will try it out at the first peel wedding bells i hear. When im out anywhere and someone looks like they are going to give me some kind of grief or a real jobsworth looks like he/she is going to get all official i say "sorry...i dont do interviews" and walk right on, it works try it. Didnt notice shoes!!! you guys, what else is there to do at weddings?.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register