Design Addict

Cart

Wall Unit Storage S...

Wall Unit Storage System (Cado?) help identifying please  

RSS

Spirale
(@spirale)
25/03/2020 6:13 pm  

Wondering if anyone can help identify this storage system. Rescued from the basement of a former architecture firm. Unfortunately very moist. No idea of the type of wood or the maker... possibly Cado system? but the brackets appear slightly different than others I’ve seen and not tapered or angled slightly at the one end? Also, I have no idea what the funky shaped metal brackets are. Any information on maker or date/materials would be much appreciated as I don’t even know where to begin with putting this thing back together if it’s salvageable. Thanks for your help!

Link to more photos below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187591492@N07/shares/08H8t8

1585156434-unnamed-10.jpg

lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
26/03/2020 11:04 am  

@spirale. Welcome to the Forum.

Where in the world are you based? This might help narrow down the search criteria.

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

ReplyQuote
Spirale
(@spirale)
26/03/2020 12:44 pm  

@lexi

USA, east coast 

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
26/03/2020 1:47 pm  

That is Cado/Royal System. Technically the name of the company was Royal System. Particleboard swells when it gets wet and breaks the matrix of glue holding all the particles together. And then it is basically impossible to repair. 

ReplyQuote
Spirale
(@spirale)
26/03/2020 2:06 pm  

@leif-ericson
thanks - some of the boxes definitely appear to be in bad shape but the shelves and the rails/ hardware appear to be salvageable. When I compare the hardware to others Cado hardware I’ve found, they seem slightly different. They don’t have the slight bend back at the end... and I think the hardware goes through the board to attach to another piece underneath the shelf which secured it from below? 

ReplyQuote
Spirale
(@spirale)
26/03/2020 2:07 pm  

@lexi 

USA, east coast

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
26/03/2020 2:29 pm  

The handles on the case doors look like Royal System handles. Can you show a photo of how the metal bracket attaches to a shelf?

ReplyQuote
Spirale
(@spirale)
26/03/2020 2:33 pm  

@leif-ericson

im not with the piece now but if you look at the hardware pics, it appears that the angled top bar goes down through the shelf and is attached to another piece of hardware with a fork shaped end underneath. Then that goes back to the rail and holds the shelf from below. I haven’t installed this but that’s what I’m assuming from looking at it for a while. The piece was not assembled when I found it so it’s my best guess really 

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
26/03/2020 3:34 pm  

As Leif said, if it has been exposed to moisture for too long, you can forget it.

If not, congratulation, but then a lot of work is awaiting you.

You may have been wrong about the metal brackets, maybe you found brackets that are not part of this system.

A few more pictures would solve the riddle.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register