Design Addict

Cart

large 3'x6" ?walnut...

large 3'x6" ?walnut? Desk  

RSS

Sweet.matthew.A@gmail.com
(@sweet-matthew-agmail-com)
01/04/2020 12:19 am  

Hello, I am refinishing a desk that I picked up for free.  It looks to be a black walnut veneer over plywood and Oak edges with bits of solid Black walnut corners.  It is 3ft x 6ft and had carved feet (the ones pictured I don't believe are original).  it has three pull out, writing boards.  One on each side on the drawer side and then one large one on the front.  The pulls seem to be a 2" and a 3" solid brass of the chalice variety.  The center screws in and out.  The only identification I have been able to see is a small oval plack about 1.5 inches long and .75 inches tall that says, "S.F.&S.S.CO." then 661

I have attached the link to photos below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QFP3jLxTji9ah1eMA

1585693175-20190806_182615.jpg

22/04/2020 10:34 pm  

*Bump*

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
23/04/2020 12:09 am  

Don't be thrown by the metal tag. It's a company inventory control tag and is not a clue as to maker. The desk itself is of a type offered by mass-producers of office furniture in the US before and after WWII and is nothing special ...unless of course it is to you! And, yes, it's walnut veneer with solid trim pieces here and there and the bracket feet are likely original.

ReplyQuote
01/05/2020 10:41 pm  

Thank you very much.  The desk actually is important to me and I like it a lot.  I am just looking at trying to identify the maker regardless.  Even if it is a Sears special I would like to know who made it.  Also, I'm missing a drawer pull so I would like to find a replacement.

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
04/05/2020 5:58 pm  

Agree with tktoo2, it was a very popular style desk produced by a multitude of makers.  Without a maker's mark the chances you will find that exact desk are slim.  

As for the pulls, I'd look on Ebay and Etsy or shop someone who specializes in antique hardware, like this co:    http://www.robinsonsantiques.com/

If you can't find the exact pull, buy two that are similar and use on the center drawer.  

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register