Design Addict

Cart

Danish Dining Table...

Danish Dining Table but who was designer/maker?  

RSS

danish nut
(@danish-nut)
Reputable Member
05/06/2020 3:43 pm  

I have recently purchased what I believe to be a danish dining table. Its 122 cm diameter (48 inches) but despite quite some effort can't identify the designer/maker. The overall quality of the item and the fact that the extension sliding mechanism is by CJ Rosengaarden lead me to presume it is of danish origin.

There are several  distinctive elements to the table. Each piece of the top surface , both halves of the top and each extension piece, have a framed border. The underside of apron has wedge pieces that as you can see give an unusual profile to each of the extension leaves. The feet on the pedestal base are comparatively high.

This is a quality item that I am looking forward to restoring but would dearly love to know who designed and produced.

Any help would be greatly valued

1591364630-IMG_5507.jpg
1591364769-IMG_5499.jpg
1591364813-IMG_5500.jpg
1591364877-IMG_5506.jpg
1591364938-IMG_5502.jpg
1591364977-IMG_5504.jpg
1591365037-IMG_5503.jpg
This topic was modified 4 years ago 7 times by danish nut

danish nut
(@danish-nut)
Reputable Member
06/06/2020 12:58 pm  

Just found tiny initals of AM on the underside of the table....see photo.

Presume this is AM Mobler.....which would point to them as being the maker.

Would appreciate anything further that contributers to add that might help me establish the tables designer. Havent been able to find anything much on AM Mobler history or designers other than Henning Kjaernulf. The items I have seen are distinctly underwhelming and nothing that approaches the quality of the top of the table on the table I have. 

Again any knowledge or insightson this forum would be greatly appreciated

1591441242-IMG_5509.jpg

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
06/06/2020 5:35 pm  

@danish-nut.

First off, I went searching for info on AM Mobler. https://tidsskrift.dk/ has a list of companies from 1889 -1974.

On page 4, I found a mention of A.M Mobler.  Whether this is the same company or not , I have no idea.

Interestingly the 2 people mentioned; G. Andersen and H. Mortensen could be the " A.M" in the company name?? Notice the dates. 1948 and 1952.Image 1

Secondly, I noticed another mark on the underside of your table; a smudgy bit followed by the number 40.

Found a Vejle stole og mobelfabrik table (Completely different to yours ) but with what looks like the same "smudge " followed by a number. Image2. Maybe the 2 companies were connected? Or maybe I am way off the mark...

Now to the legs on your table; the joint, where the vertical part meets the feet, matches other AM tables I found online, albeit from more recent productions.

Found one table that  looks like a more recent production,with what appears to be the same joint as yours ( your pics are a bit dark due to the colour of your table, so hard to tell) and it has an A M, Made in Denmark stamp with a number 40 as well; metal extending mechanism and an edge profile not too dissimilar to yours.Image 3/4.

So basically a few "dots" of information,that might join up !!

As to designer? I think some other more knowledgeable members might be able to help you out.They may have documentation that links Kjaernulf to your table.

Finally; Your table is lovely and should look great when you have finished restoring it, regardless of who designed/made it.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics when you are finished. 😊 

1591457702-am-mobler-company-info-page-4-2.jpg
1591457769-vejle-coffee-table-with-smudge-mark-and-number-40.jpg
1591457818-AM-Made-in-Denmark-dining-table-with-number-40.jpg
1591457920-vejle-stole-table-edge-profile-2.jpg

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

ReplyQuote
danish nut
(@danish-nut)
Reputable Member
06/06/2020 5:59 pm  

Lexi,

Many thanks for all the effort you have gone to and the information unearthed. Sounds highly likely that the company names AM Mobler was derived from the founders G. Andersen and H. Mortensen.

Great that you spotted the  smudgy no 40 imprinted on the underside of the table top. I was imaging that was a model number but have been unable to find anything that confirms that. Interesting that you found a table with AM and 40 on the underside and as you say with similar edge profile and metal sliding mechanism. Can you advise where you found that table and the source of your 3rd image?

Really appreciate the information and pointers provided and hope someone else may be able to throw further light on this issue.

Again huge thanks

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
06/06/2020 6:07 pm  

I've seen a few tables with similar marks - "AM" followed by a number  - attributed to Gangso.  There's an old thread that mentions mentions this relationship.

https://designaddict.com/community/main-forum/AMDanish-Furniture-ID18496/#post-58095

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
06/06/2020 6:34 pm  

@danish-nut. A sold listing on 1st d***. Don't like to give direct links to selling platforms !!

Try this search 😉. 1960s Teak Oval Dining Table AM Mobler, Denmark

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

ReplyQuote
danish nut
(@danish-nut)
Reputable Member
06/06/2020 7:10 pm  

thanks Mark and again to you Lexi.

I now think its reasonably clear the table is by AM Mobler. Thanks for pointer to the the 1....dibs  ad. Pretty well identical in form to the table I have with one point of divergence....the absence of the wedges on the underside. Maybe an earlier version.

Would very much welcome other contributions and in particular information concerning the designer of this table or sky designers that worked with AM Mobler.

Thanks again 

ReplyQuote
danish nut
(@danish-nut)
Reputable Member
15/12/2021 6:14 pm  

Restored table

1639588481-1960sDanishAMMoblerRosewoodExtendablePedestalDiningTable4_480x.jpg

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
15/12/2021 6:58 pm  

That's some lucky veneer, not all of it is equal!

ReplyQuote
Vildbjerg LKJ
(@vildbjerg-lkj)
16/12/2021 11:08 pm  

AM could be Ansager Møbler. Well known for dining tables. I have to do some more research regarding this 😊

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
17/12/2021 12:48 am  

Some research I did a few years ago indicated that A.M. could have been Aastrup Møbelindustri

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
17/12/2021 2:02 am  

That is is the really hard thing about the abbreviation.  The M could be a last name or it could be Møbelfabrik, Møbler, Møbelindustri, etc.  So we really need something more than something that abbreviates to AM because there are lots of options.  Ansager Møbler.  As trump Møbelindustri.  A&M Møbler / Andersen & Morgensen which seems perhaps the best option so far since we have it proved that they used the AM abbreviation (or at least A&M, which is pretty close).  

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register