Cart

Can you identify th...

Can you identify these armchairs  

RSS

robodob
(@robodob)
21/09/2023 12:54 pm  

Hi,

Hoping someone can identify these chairs. I know they were bought together in the early 2000s but not much else.

Thanks so much!

1695293676-chairs.png

Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
21/09/2023 10:29 pm  

We had a similar issue just a few weeks ago. The armchairs look like a Borge Mogensen design. Now I am not a Mogensen expert. But I think, for one thing, that they deviate somewhat from the original design. For another, I don't think Mogensen designed an armchair based on the 2213 sofa. I could be wrong, but I didn't find one online in a quick search either. Therefore, I would first assume that it is a reinterpretation made in Denmark. But I am happy to be corrected. Maybe @cdsilva?

Edit: Here's an old thread dealing with the sime kind of chair. Seems as if there never was an original 2211 easy chair and it also seems as if Danish companies were happy to copy Mogensen designs.

https://designaddict.com/community/main-forum/Chair-ID-Borge-Mogenesen3144/

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

lexi and robodob liked
ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
22/09/2023 6:06 pm  

There are a number of listings for sofas and chairs in this style attributed to "HJ Luxor" with similar HJ-marked fabric under the  cushions.  I could not find any info on this name, nor did any of listings show a tag or label with this name, just the HJ fabric.  This sofa was listed recently in California and attributed to HJ Luxor/Skipper Mobler but showed no tag, just the HJ fabric on the underside of the seat cushions.   

As the thread listed by Herringbone points out, there were a number of companies making chairs and sofas in this style.  Hurup was another one I saw a few times.  

1695398797-HJ.jpg

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
22/09/2023 10:43 pm  

@robodob @mark737 I dug a little and found HJ Møbler, a furniture manufacturer from Assens. They started busines in the early 80s. Founder was Henning Jensen (hence HJ). And they seem to have specialized in copies and "inspired by" furniture. Later his son Anders Yde Jensen took over. They seem to have closed at the end of 2013. If you really, really want to know if it's the right company, you could maybe contact him. He is on Facebook and shares pictures of himself on a big game hunt. 

I found this Kjaerholm interpretation which is nothing but wild. 

https://www.auktionshuset.com/en/auction/anders-jensen-for-hj-moebler-et-par-zeta-laenestole/i4883503/

But I don't know where the Luxor comes from. 

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

mark737 and tktoo2 liked
ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
24/09/2023 6:33 pm  

@herringbone  Thanks for digging in and getting some info on HJ.  I tried searching HJ Mobler but was unsuccessful.  I did notice that the Danish company Skalma produces this sofa today in a similar style, which they also call "Luxor".

1695573207-Skalma.jpg

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register