Design Addict

Cart

Wormley Dunbar coff...

Wormley Dunbar coffee table finish ideas?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

sebastian s
(@sebastian-s)
Eminent Member
24/02/2017 10:38 pm  

You are right spanky, it can be nerve racking. You can really feel under pressure. You need to be fast, and, at the same time, accurate with

ReplyQuote
mgee76
(@mgee76)
Illustrious Member
25/02/2017 2:23 am  

I'll keep you all posted, for sure. Meanwhile, I still can't find another example of this damned table. Not that it's terribly important, but I'd really like to see some, just out of curiosity. I know very little about Dunbar furniture.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
09/03/2017 8:02 pm  

Thanks to sebastian for the photoshopping, and for so many good ideas and experiences, well expressed. I have no trouble seeing this piece in the more-contrasting colors. And yes, I would think of applying the top-coat to one color before staining (or dying) the other.

A really helpful if time-consuming step would involve making one or more sample panels of the same species, to try your colors and application techniques -- including the separation of colors, and the subsequent flattening of the top-coat at the transition line -- of course. Dyes sound to me like they would be more likely to migrate under the neighboring top-coat, making a fuzzy seam ?

I will report. again, that I've been doing some table-top finishing with oil-based polyurethane, where I apply satin poly with a foam roller and immediately brush out bubbles, etc. Between each coat I sand (carefully) with 220 on a good flat orbital sander, to flatten and deal with any specks. For the same reason I sand the final coat as well, then get it to a nice satin with steel wool. All of this is to achieve a spray-quality durable finish with no spray equipment or even a proper finish area; I work outdoors, mostly.

ReplyQuote
sebastian s
(@sebastian-s)
Eminent Member
10/03/2017 3:25 am  

There was a post, I don

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
10/03/2017 3:45 am  

Aha . . .

So, it isn't like you'd be bastardizing a classic by dying or staining it; it's been pre-bastardized !

ReplyQuote
sebastian s
(@sebastian-s)
Eminent Member
11/03/2017 2:12 am  

The site is not letting me upload any pictures, but here are the links to some other pieces that have the same handles and combination of woods. I guess that if i could find it, you may have seen it already, but... just in case.

https://www.wright20.com/auctions/2008/04/modern-design/433?search=dunbar

https://www.wright20.com/auctions/2008/04/modern-design/435?search=dunbar

https://www.wright20.com/auctions/2008/04/modern-design/434?search=dunbar

in one of them reads:

" literature: Edward Wormley: The Other Face of Modernism, Gura, Kennedy and Weinberg, pg. 25"

Again, just in case there is something interesting there.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
11/03/2017 2:47 am  

Ah. Most useful. Now we recognize the Asian (Chinese) basis of this group ? Very suave . . .

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register