Design Addict

Cart

Unable to remove Ph...

Unable to remove Phillips screws from Eames Aluminum Group Mgmt Chair  

RSS

MidModGroovy
(@user_160)
04/08/2021 11:37 pm  

I'm trying to remove the arms from a Herman Miller Eames Aluminum Group Mgmt Chair. Looks like fairly recent production. 5 point base. It looks like a simple job to remove the 3 Phillips screws that attach the arms. However, I can't get the screws to budge at all. Did the factory use some kind of Loctite glue to keep them in place (and make them impossible to remove)? The screws are not rusted and the chair is in excellent shape. I've attached a photo. Thanks for any guidance. Chris

1628113037-thumbnail.jpg

tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
05/08/2021 2:56 pm  

Try thoroughly heating the arm junction with an electric hair drier and using a new screwdriver that fits the screw head tightly. Preferably one with a square shaft you can put a wrench on to add torque. An impact driver and heat would be the next step if this fails to loosen the screw. Phillips head is really the wrong design for this application anymore. The are much better head design alternatives, Torx for example, available now.

ReplyQuote
MidModGroovy
(@user_160)
05/08/2021 3:24 pm  

Thank you. I'll give that a try. I still don't understand why all six screws on the two arms are stuck. If just one or two of the screws were giving me trouble, I'd understand. Because it's all six, I suspect that some kind of Loctite or other epoxy was applied to prevent the screws from loosening. I have several of these chairs and I'm unable to budge the screws on any of them. I contacted Herman Miller and I'll see if they write back.

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
05/08/2021 4:11 pm  

It's certainly possible that HM used screws with an applied friction-activated bonding agent. Heat should help if that is the case. Another problem is that stainless alloy screws tend to be quite slippery making driver/slot engagement less positive especially with Phillips.

Just be careful with the heat. You want things quite warm, not too hot to touch.

ReplyQuote
MidModGroovy
(@user_160)
05/08/2021 9:21 pm  

It turns out if was just user error on my part (wrong tool for the job). I bought a gigantic screwdriver (#3) and with a little more torque and a better fit in the screw head, they came out as they should.

tktoo2 liked
ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
06/08/2021 3:55 pm  

I'd laugh out loud if similar hadn't happened to me ...once, long ago. Over the many years and hundreds of thousands of screws driven since, however, I've developed an intense dislike of Mr. Phillips' inferior invention no matter the size, if that isn't obvious.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register