Cart

Restore Eames Alumi...

Restore Eames Aluminium Group Chair / Base  

RSS

(@meltik)
26/08/2019 9:02 pm  

Hi All, I am new and stoked to be part of the community

I am seeking for some advice here...

I Just acquired couple old HM Eames Aluminum group Chairs that I am trying to restore and clean my self.

4x EA330 Side chairs (5 stars legs)

1x EA437 Soft pad (5 stars legs)

1. What are the best product to clean  and restore the aluminum?
  2. What Drill bit should I use when it comes to polishing

Attached is a picture so you guys can see.

Thanks in advance.

1566846166-Screen-Shot-2019-08-26-at-22828-PM.png

tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
27/08/2019 3:49 pm  

I'm not sure if the bases were lacquered on later editions or if you are in the US or not, but I'd discourage using power tools and instead try a quality cream-style metal polish like Flitz or a wadding-style like Duraglit or Ouator by hand on a small, inconspicuous area first. You might be surprised by results.

It takes a long time for high-polished aluminum to oxidize to a dull gray patina. I consider it evidence of authentic age and would prefer it to remain. Are you sure you want to pair gleaming metal with worn vinyl upholstery? I get that these are not museum pieces and that tarting them up won't deprive future generations in any way, but I will never understand furnishing a home with vintage pieces made to appear as new.

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
28/08/2019 12:47 am  

To clarify my previous post, polishing the aluminum bits is easily accomplished with nothing more than an appropriate polishing compound and old-fashion elbow grease. However, as a long-time Eames fan, I think your chairs look pretty great as pictured. If they were mine, a good rubdown with a soft cloth and a dilute solution of mild dish detergent and water is all they'd ever see.

Welcome to the forum.

ReplyQuote
(@meltik)
29/08/2019 5:48 am  

Totally agree with you @tktoo2,

I am just going to clean them up a bit   and that would be it.

I can be obsessed sometimes with fixing stuff/restoring but I don’t think it is necessary or smart this time.

For the soft pad what would you do? Trying to give it New like feel... photo attached 

Thanks for all the advices.

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
29/08/2019 2:04 pm  

I like Lexol products (cleaner/conditioner) for leather, but any established high-end boot maker/saddler should be able to recommend or supply safe, proven products available in your area.

ReplyQuote
(@meltik)
29/08/2019 9:05 pm  

Photos of the Soft pad attached

1567105556-Screen-Shot-2019-08-29-at-30436-PM.png

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
30/08/2019 3:17 am  

Ah, now I can see that your Soft Pad is in dire need of ...absolutely nothing more than another decade's wear.

It's furniture, meltik.  Use it!

ReplyQuote
(@meltik)
30/08/2019 5:54 am  

haha all right! Will do sir... thanks for the help. 

ReplyQuote
moosix
(@moosix)
04/10/2019 2:53 pm  

I consider it evidence of authentic age and would prefer it to remain. Are you sure you want to pair gleaming metal with worn vinyl upholstery?

ReplyQuote
comforum000
(@comforum000)
01/02/2020 1:25 am  

To clarify my preceding put up, polishing the aluminum bits is effortlessly completed with not anything extra than the ideal polishing compound and antique-style elbow grease. However, as an extended-time Eames fan, I think your chairs look pretty exceptional as pictured you can see here. If they had been mine, an excellent rubdown with a soft material and a dilute answer of mild dish detergent and water is all they'd ever see.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register