Cart

Repair armrests for...

Repair armrests for Eames aluminum  

RSS

dureglam
(@dureglam)
19/08/2019 11:02 am  

Hello!

I have an old original Eames aluminum group chair with some damage to the armrests that I want to get fixed up. I've been looking around the forum and it seems my best bet is to take the armrests to something like a motorcycle repair shop to get it polished and nothing I should be doing myself. I'm posting a picture to make sure you guys agree that's what I should do. Thanks!

1566205364-IMG_20190819_103907.jpg

(@drturbo)
23/08/2019 10:37 pm  

Hello

I am not a professional, but it looks to me that this is chrome flaking off? If that is the case, it needs to be stripped and re-chromed. 

If it is aluminium, you must grind away until you get alloy that is solid, as it looks like layers of aluminium is cracked. Then build up with aluminiumweld, grind down and polish to exact finnish.

This is my personal opinion and not a professional opinion.

Regards,

Tommy

ReplyQuote
jflanders112
(@jflanders112)
27/02/2021 4:11 pm  

Hi @dureglam,

I am in the same boat. I have recently acquired some of the same chairs with the same issue. Due to the age, a little wear is to be expected but it is hard for me to live with it as bad as mine are. As I was doing research I think I found some people said that they used a type of lacquer on the aluminum, and this is what is "flaking." I haven't found a solution yet that I am comfortable with, but I was wondering if you had a chance to try out a motorcycle shop or something yet and see if you had any luck with yours?

Thank you,

Jordan

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register