Cart

Metal Plating Quest...

Metal Plating Question  

RSS

mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
28/01/2021 10:01 pm  

I recently picked up a small burl chest with metal trim.  The metal was originally brass plated but most of that has worm off.  In some spots if you remove the remaining brass finish, with either oven cleaner or steel wool, it leaves a shiny chrome-like finish.  But in other areas that appear to have been exposed longer, it has a dull steel appearance.  This photo shows all three, with the partial brass finish at the top, chrome-like in the middle and dull steel at the bottom.  

Ideally, I'd like to get all the metal to a polished steel appearance, or at least a somewhat even, dull steel.  Is there a good chemical way to do this?  Or just go at it with an angle grinder?    Thanks.  

1611867703-frame.jpg

tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
28/01/2021 11:20 pm  

@mark737, I'm having trouble seeing what's what in your photo. How much 'trim' area are you talking about? There are acids that'll etch brass, but none you really want to work with. I'd stick with mechanical removal. Besides, you're gonna need to 'work through the grits' (grades of abrasives) no matter what if a mirror polish is the goal. An angle grinder might be overkill. A random-orbit sander with accessory buffing pad for later stages is what I'd probably use.

P.S. As you may already know, metalworking is a special brand of messy.

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
29/01/2021 5:15 am  

@tktoo2. Thanks for the reply. I’ve never done steel polishing before. I guess I’ll watch some YouTube videos. Here’s a pic of the chest. Metal trim around the top and base. Fortunately it was easy to disassemble so I can work on the metal separately from the wood sections. Probably not worth the time but I’m a sucker for burl. 

1611893747-010E3460-6365-4C26-AFAF-FD42F8856BE4.jpeg

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
29/01/2021 12:52 pm  

Try a metal polishing cream like Flitz on a rag and on the least conspicuous spot you can find. You might be surprised. Also, test for possible lacquer coating and remove before polishing if present.

ReplyQuote
Raijin
(@raijin)
Trusted Member
30/01/2021 9:11 am  

I'd try brasso first which should clean off the remaining brass plating, maybe a rust removal if any of that is rust or pitting, go over with fine steel wool then I use Peak which is like a polishing cream.

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
01/02/2021 4:15 pm  

Thank you both.  I've never used Peek or Flitz but I'll give them a try.  

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register