Cart

Looking for France ...

Looking for France & Son-compatible eeeee springs  

RSS

Andersen
(@andersen)
Noble Member
20/03/2022 4:28 pm  

If anybody knows of a source for those eeeee springs I would be happy. I see there are around those springs but have not the same diameter and thickness as the original ones. Essentially, there were two kinds back then: those used for Hans Wegner chairs, that have thicker steel and are larger, which were fixed to a wooden frame by hooks. France & Son instead used a different kind, with thinner steel wire, which allowed to nail them directly into the wooden frames. Those with a thicker steel wire can’t be nailed directly to a wooden frame, because the wire is too thick. So France & Son opted for having more raws of those thinner eeeee springs as opposed to other manufacturers who used a thicker wire which required less raws on a frame. In the photo below, you can appreciate a side-to-side comparison between the original France&Son and those eeee springs used for Hans   Wegner Getama or AP chairs. Size is in cm.

1647790139-9FF6133D-3697-4A7F-B805-30B713F89780.jpeg

1647790261-45F12554-13BE-401C-A3D2-E186F03ABCDD.jpeg

1647790321-28F6FDDC-9D9F-4734-B8FF-FEBFF8480601.jpeg
This topic was modified 2 years ago 4 times by Andersen

Andersen
(@andersen)
Noble Member
30/03/2022 10:11 am  

I was hoping someone knew of a shop selling those. I find it bad that the reupholstering of those France and Son chairs these days must involve putting some elastic webbing that have nothing to do with the original design.

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
30/03/2022 2:18 pm  

I agree it is unfortunate that these are no longer available, though it is likely because they do not work as well or last as long as more recent or traditional techniques and products. Occasionally, experimentation and innovation result in failures as well as successes, no?

ReplyQuote
Andersen
(@andersen)
Noble Member
30/03/2022 4:55 pm  

not sure. I think they did it pretty well back then at France & Son. Also, consider the difference between placing those eeee springs versus elastic webbing. With eeee springs, you'll need two staples/side, with elastic webbing it's going to be a nightmare how many staples you'll need to place. I agree that the best would have been to put some fix hooks on the frame itself and to hang the eeee spring on there, as it was done at Getama sometimes. I still believe those must be produced somewhere today...

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
31/03/2022 1:42 pm  

Again, I agree with your point that "original" is always preferable, but I've yet to discover any upholstery suspension or cushioning component that won't at some point stretch out, compress, or somehow otherwise fail and require replacement.

You might try contacting Design Restoration Spares to see if they have any ideas as they seem to have the wider (15mm) eeeee springs and the Getama-style hooks you mentioned available for sale on their website.

http://www.design-restoration-spares.com/product-category/restoration-material/upholstery-supplies/

Best of luck!

ReplyQuote
Andersen
(@andersen)
Noble Member
31/03/2022 5:53 pm  

thank you. I know they have the wider eeee spring, but I am refraining to buy till I really don't find the smaller version. I have seen too many France and Son chairs so badly reupholstered that I can't do the same with mine... Probably one day I'll need to give up and reupholster with what I find.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register