Cart

Best method to stri...

Best method to strip...  

RSS

RentASwag
(@rentaswag)
31/07/2020 1:21 am  

Hello,

Ive got here a DUX chair, most likely beech, that has its original lacquer? The previous owner has told me many years back, he applied some teak/danish oil to it. I can see the clumps of the oil all over the place and i want to strip this thing down and maybe give it a new finish. What would be the best way to strip this? Would i need to remove the oil first, then lacquer? Or can i go about just using acetone or the like. Thank you.

Sam

1596151286-fo2.jpeg

tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
31/07/2020 6:59 pm  

Either acetone or lacquer thinner might work but can be frustrating due to volatility. I've gotten the best results with gel-type paint strippers containing methylene chloride, although these are being phased out for use by the general public and are unavailable in some countries and states. I've heard that soy and/or citrus-based strippers have gotten better if you allow extra time for them to work, but I have no direct experience with either.

ReplyQuote
RentASwag
(@rentaswag)
31/07/2020 8:38 pm  

Thanks tktoo2! I'll try some lacquer thinner in spots I see the oil stains and see how that reacts. I'll have a gel type stripper on stand by.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register