Page 1 / 6
  RSS

lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
30/04/2020 4:49 pm  

Hi all, 

Ennui has set in... so much so that I am resorting to French to describe how I feel. ( I was supposed to be going on a week long trip to Malta this Sunday 😥 😣 )

So few posts over the last few days... I know, bigger more important worries abound, but the distraction of Design Addict notifications are a relief, in what is otherwise a day going nowhere....

I thought I might start this random thread so you could post anything at all; your pets, garden, indoor plants, DIY projects, books you have finally got around to reading..whatever.

As you are all aware, I like nothing better than getting "stuck into" an ID request.

On that note , I will start with a lamp ID quiz; 

A few years back,a crappy image of a lamp for sale had me intrigued. It took me hours and quite a few glasses of wine to eventually find an archive photo of the same lamp ( image below).  Since then I have been hooked on Mid-Century lighting.

Can you identify the designer?

1588258199-wall-lamp.jpg

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
03/05/2020 12:16 pm  

Hi @Lexi, I know what you are talking about. I was supposed to go to Denmark tomorrow, visit some workshops, do some interviews and research. Won’t happen. So I spend my time improving my woodworking skills and making something for our entry. A small piece for shoes with two drawers on top. The design is heavily influenced by the Kai Kristiansen pieces for Aksel Kjærsgaard. One could even say it will be a blatant rip off, I guess. But it’s fun. The photo shows the under construction, I‘m going to weave in a „shelf“ for shoes and put a drawer box on top which doesn’t exist yet. Still a long way to go.

Plus, I am writing loads of mails and establishing contacts in order to research the personal history of some designers and cabinetmakers which have not been researched properly yet. At least to my knowledge. But it’s too early to publish something here. Too many bits are missing. 

As far as lamps are concerned: I don’t know nothing about lamps. 😕 So in a clueless attempt I‘d wisprer Serge Mouille and look shamefully to the floor.

1588500961-78C83330-594E-4611-B243-DDF0D2EF81F2.jpeg

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
03/05/2020 1:55 pm  

@herringbone. Hi to you too. That is an impressive piece of woodworking. A lovely way to pass the time.

I also admire your diligence with regard to the research ; It's a pity you can't do it in person. I think this social distancing is probably the most difficult part for most people. Luckily I escape to work 3 times a week , though all converstion takes place behind a mask !! 😷 

I am immersing myself in gardening, with the able assistance of my daughter.

Your guess about the lamp is a reasonable one, given the design/style ,so no need for "shame".

To be perfectly honest it is not a well known designer but one of his designs, a floorlamp, is a mid century classic. I don't expect many being able to identify it. Will give it a few more days before I reveal the name.

Stay well. 

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
03/05/2020 3:34 pm  

Well, @lexi, diligence is one thing. But I can’t really help it, because I am also curious as hell. I have an interest in people as well as in furniture. And I want to combine these two. That‘s why I read every designer‘s biography I can get. When I see a round chair for instance, I envision Wegner drawing it. And I envision the people at Johannes Hansen‘s workshop making it, shaping it, glueing it, weaving it. I always want to get the whole picture, the process, not just the finished product. This is quite easy with Wegner and Hansen, of course. With lesser known designers and makers it‘s a bit more difficult, and sometimes you have to ask around. But I also find it rewarding, because there is so much to find out, so many stories to tell. Plus: I have been working as journalist for more than a decade now, I call people every day and ask them silly questions. 😁

But yes, corona is not a help, indeed. 

Have you ever been to Denmark or Norway on a furniture mission? I can well imagine you strolling through the large warehouses, trying to identify every piece there is. 

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
03/05/2020 4:00 pm  

@herringbone. The closest I have been is Finland in 1991,long before I knew about scandinavian furniture. I did however purchase some Marimekko fabric and a Nuutajarvi vase just because I liked them. 😉 

I would love to wander around a warehouse enjoying the search/discovery and testing my "limited" knowledge!!

My eldest daughter lives in the UK and I have gone to auctions with her in the early noughties, when there were bargains to be had, as she picked up furniture for herself and it was she who got me interested . A steep learning curve....she now has some lovely pieces.

Oh and I have been to Iceland (1979) on a Geology field trip. No furniture in sight!!! And no active volcanos, much to our dismay.

I think what you are trying to achieve is admirable; The dearth of information for many designers and manufacturers is quite surprising. "May the Force be with you" or in other words perserverance and silly questions go a long way!!

ReplyQuote
HowardMoon
(@mcm-interiors)
03/05/2020 6:35 pm  

Lexi, I also know next to nothing about lighting but your lamp looks very similar to a design by Bernard Schottlander.

lexi liked
ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
03/05/2020 6:46 pm  

@mcm-interiors. You are correct. Bernard Schottlander "BAT" lamp. 

Pictured with his "Mantis" floor lamp.

2nd image. A photo, from a more recent setting, that I found online.

1588524360-bernard-schottlander-trio-of-lamps.jpg
1588524522-bernard-sch-bat-lamp-1.jpg

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
04/05/2020 4:28 pm  

Thank you, Lexi, and thank you, Howard. I'm really grateful for the distraction and it's so nice to have you both active here.

They say the mind is the second thing to go.

Please stay well and curious,

-tktutu

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
04/05/2020 8:25 pm  

More " distractions"

Image 1. This keeps my husband busy, especially as he cannot play golf,though all his planned race meets have been cancelled, he still keeps it clean and ready to go!!

Image 2/3. My distraction; the garden. Thankfully the weather has been good here. It is a work in progress and with garden centres closed, we are grateful we had the foresight to take cuttings and propagate !

Image 3; A sad moment. 1 year anniversary of the death of our beloved dog, Lexi. ( the one on the right in my profile pic) She  was a very special dog. A true member of the family. We buried her in this spot, in the garden and had a local stonemason make the marker.

Image 4; The distraction that keeps me sane. Drinky-poos @ the end of the day!

1588616712-corona-distraction.jpg
1588616838-garden-pics.jpg
1588617112-garden-pics-2.jpg
1588617485-lexi-meorial.jpg
1588617649-drinky-poos.jpg

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
04/05/2020 11:15 pm  

@tktoo2 thanks, it‘s also good to have you here.

@lexi: I‘m certainly not a car guy but this one is impressive. And your lawn is fine, too. I bet your husband likes it for putting exercises ...

I’ve always imagined that your nickname had something to do with you being a lexicon of Danish and Norwegian furniture design, which you are. 😁 Oh boy, she looks like she was a good dog.

lexi liked
ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
05/05/2020 12:23 am  

Aye, dear Herringbone! The sentiment is mutual! It was my unfortunate oversight to not mention you or any of the other reliable members of this forum. Humble apologies and best wishes offered to all.

Lexi, your garden is simply lovely. I will be sure to share them with my wife, the garden goddess. Me, I'm just a lawn mower... The mid-life crisis car, OTOH, is, um, (let's call it what it is) ...sexy! Nice work on Lexi's memorial, too. Your stone-chipper is more than your average mason.

lexi liked
ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
10/05/2020 12:33 am  

In the five days since, very little here has changed other than it looks like the three people I know that have contracted COVID-19 will survive. Out of the fourteen people (so far) in this town of just over 5,000 that have contracted the virus, two have unfortunately passed away. Both accomplished and very much loved septuagenarians.

Otherwise, I'm effectively out of work except for a few minor projects in my workshop that I'm having trouble focusing on. I don't know when I'll be able to deliver them if ever. Turns out that I need deadlines (sorry to use the term) more than I already knew.

We are fortunate to have a large yard in which to continue our struggle to tame Mother Nature and, as the blossoms pop and leaves of spring unfurl, it somehow reinforces our sense of hope and rebirth. You can find me out there if you're looking.

I sincerely hope that all of you and your families are well and will continue to be so. I feel most of all for the younger generation these days. Like things weren't tough enough already.

Bluesy enough for you, Lexi?

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
10/05/2020 10:42 am  

@tktoo2. Oh dear, definately a case of the "blues".

I am also finding that days are rolling by without much structure and it is hard to feel motivated to do anything. There is always "mañana".

I, at least  have my 3 days @work, which I appreciate, and it gives me a sense of purpose and adds a notion of " business as usual" , albeit with a different perspective,in this alternate world we find ourselves in.

Your tribute to Mother Nature is very eloquent and evocative.

We are all well here, including my 95 year old mother in law; thank you for asking and the all the well-wishes.

Fanacht sábháilte

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
30/05/2020 5:22 pm  

@lexi, @tktoo2, how are you? Hope everything is fine with you and your families. Weeks have passed, and in Germany we are getting back to kind of normal. I don’t think there will be any festivals this year, but apart from that there are not many traces of a corona anymore. I‘m feeling relieved, like aftermaths long winter, although nobody knows if there’s going to be a second wave and what it might bring. I have come to terms with my project quite a bit. Still needs a lot of work, though. I have also finished the box, which will sit on top (not in the pictures), but still have to make the drawers. Here’s the frame. It still has flaws and needs some touch ups, but since I‘m still a beginner in woodworking, I‘m pretty content.  The woven thingy is for shoes. 

1590852172-9E476B41-D9BB-421C-B0E0-4BF93F8476AE.jpeg
1590852254-B6DE537C-FF68-4835-80F9-1262A171D619.jpeg

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
30/05/2020 9:54 pm  

@herringbone. All fine here. Lockdown restrictions are being relaxed in a phased manner. Having great weather here at the moment so everyone heading to beaches, parks etc. as they can now travel further from home. One thing I will miss is the lack of traffic noise on our street.

Hopefully there will not be a second wave any time soon.

Your woodworking project is coming along nicely.Looks great.

Still tending to the garden.

Made some fabric facemasks ; the results were a bit "hit and miss" but I enjoyed the distraction.

@tktoo2. Hi and hope you are feeling a bit more hopefull ?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 6
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register