DA old timers  

Page 56 / 112
  RSS

SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
22/05/2016 12:39 am  

Riki, did you find what you wanted ? Would the property double as a family get-away ? Do you need an architect ?
Just kidding. I don't know any architects in your neck of the woods. We do see, on this side of the pond, evidence of fine European rehabilitation of ancient stone buildings for contemporary use -- mostly in publications like Architectural Review or Casabella ? The mix of old and new is achieved, again and again, with clarity and subtlety.
My juices get flowing when I see stone rising from a bed of crushed rock; surviving timber framing and other old parts and pieces is a plus. Modern frameless glazing to enclose space formerly exterior to the building; minimal metal members supporting new flooring or partitions; new slate roofs blending with the existing; lighting to enhance the night-time experience: fun and games !

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
22/05/2016 6:43 pm  

You either like orange or you don't. It's as simple as spray tan.
What a dog and pony show…
Like it wasn't funny enough already, now another reality TV egomaniac announces that he would be happy to be the VP running mate for………………………... EITHER candidate!
Because IT DOESNT MATTER!
Just like I DONT CARE, but with a new twist.
HEY WHY NOT? Being a reality blow hard worked for Trump, so why not Mark Cuban?
You have to love the creativity of the double-party approach, but what a copy-dog Cuban is.
Who's up next, Dawg the Bounty Hunter?

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
22/05/2016 9:14 pm  

Well, one could argue -- as Donald is beginning to do -- that party doesn't matter; that what matters is doing the People's Bizness. I could see that . . .
Still, as you imply, it's a weird world out there just now. Hold your hats: anything could happen. It *will* be interesting to see whom each candidate chooses as a running mate. We've already had fifteen minutes of Carly Fiorina.

ReplyQuote
Riki
 Riki
(@riki)
Illustrious Member
22/05/2016 11:02 pm  

SDR, we are still doing reconnaissance missions to find the specific wine region that fits all of the needs of everybody in the whole family, i.e. 11 people in three generations. Just imagine. That's why it is taking so long.
Anyway, Gascony is in the lead. And, yes, we will most likely need an architect, because one of the needs of one of the 11 people is that the house attached to the vineyard be a 400 year old castle. (Not my need. I would live in a shed as long as it was surrounded by vines and filled with good furniture.)
So, here is something that I found in a hole-in-the-wall junk shop in Castelnau-Magnoac in the departement of the Hautes-Pyrénées. It is a tapestry\rug by the artist Roch Popelier. He designed rugs for Jules Flipo in Aubusson as well as china patterns for Haviland in Limoges. This is his first rug design ever. It's titled The Horses of the Apocalypse".

ReplyQuote
Riki
 Riki
(@riki)
Illustrious Member
22/05/2016 11:46 pm  

And before anybody comments, no that is not my house, nor my room in the background. It is a hotel room in Madrid. I pulled the rug out of my suitcase, laid it out on the floor of the room and snapped a photo. Then I folded the tapestry back up, put it my husband's suitcase and sent it on its way to my South Carolina house.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
23/05/2016 12:31 am  

Merveilleuse ! Or whatever they say in South Carolina . . .
In addition to its other charms, the background texture is perfectly textile-ish. A wonderful thing.

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
23/05/2016 2:07 am  

I like how you tied in the tapestry with orange theme Riki…
Right on topic here on the off-topic thread!
Perhaps a better title would have been "Apocalypse in Orange… "
Or simply: "Spray-Tan Apocalypse".
Mark Cuban with the Donald "doing the people's business?" (or would they just be "doing the people"?

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
25/05/2016 4:14 am  

And speaking of orange . . .
(I know -- there's no stopping me -- or him ! In for a dime, in for a dollar, as they say. Apologies in advance; there's only six months of this left, thanks be . . .)
Should we start a political thread, separate from this one ? All in favor, say Aye.

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
25/05/2016 9:38 am  

Yes SDR, it is indeed sad that once the mind starts to numb enough, and we get beaten down by the daily insanity, we will run the risk of forgetting the simply racist and sexist and vulgar idiot that is the real Donald Trump. (Aw, but its the WAY he says things, not what he says.. We don't care!)
The way I see it, we have already been marginalized once, to our very own off-topic thread…
To be "othered" once again -- and moved to yet another venue would just be wrong.
In fact, it would almost be like letting Trump win!
Besides, we were here first! And the thread is already correctly labeled.
Just my one vote of course.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
26/05/2016 2:01 am  

hi.

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
27/05/2016 2:03 am  

I sense that some serious editing went on in the post above.
I always hate it when I miss a self-edit by Mark!

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
27/05/2016 5:32 pm  

You're right, Eameshead. You have to be quick around here when Mark makes an appearance!
I would include a few highlights that I remember from it but I guess Mark wanted it gone for a reason, so I'll refrain. He is an international man of mystery.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
27/05/2016 8:28 pm  

Bahahahahaha! Do you mean this??
It was all a blurry, yet highly focused experience. I think that I was asleep at the time. Yes. Well, let me just start by saying that I'm most impressed with my wedding date ( Eameshead's 2nd cousin twice removed..). Ambitious old sport, indeed. He could charm a square dance into a trapezoid whilst blistering the vinyl floor dancing in suede kicks... way out there in Boulder Colorado! I wore denim and carried a knife. I heard the birds talking to me about niceguy. I haven't been that confused since 1995...and needed a vodka (toot sweet). Then there was a knock at the door (where no door existed prior to then). I don't usually answer doors, but I did. In strolls Eva Gabor (early version) and SDR (current version). The crowd immediately _________________. Vintage country music was twanging from above. Sweat needed a constant mopping on the dance floor. I had a lovely time. The bride was sweet, and looked just like June Carter. The groom wore all black and a smile. Then I woke up in an old Cadillac (with a trailer hitch, and Hank Williams Sr. sleeping next to me). I'm missing a toe.
to be continued (or edited).
Love, and hi
Aunt Mark, drinker.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
27/05/2016 11:23 pm  

Yes. Note to crowd: be careful what you ask for ! My attorney advised me not to comment . . . but I can't help it: HELPHELPHELPHELP!
Or, to quote Marge Simpson in the air travel episode,
[running up and down the aisle] "LetmeoffLetmeoffLetmeoffLetmeoffLetmeoffLetmeoffLetmeoffLetmeoffLetmeoffLetmeoff . . . !"

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
28/05/2016 12:52 am  

Booze booze booze and dolls
I liked my pants last evening
Edit me in pink.
Fondly,
Your odd Aunt

ReplyQuote