DA old timers  

Page 106 / 112
  RSS

SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
30/07/2020 8:33 pm  

Ha.  Here we are again.  I thought this was a perceptive take on where we are now:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/why-america-feels-like-a-post-soviet-state

And for dessert:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUiDLcp_hIw

Anyway---love you all.  How ya doin' ?

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
31/07/2020 7:17 pm  

Not dead yet here, Steve (no thanks to the Raging Lunatic-in-Chief)!

A friend told me the other day that he thinks Donny Dumpster Fire is like the antagonist in a murder/suicide. If we won't have him, he's gonna take us all down for sheer spite.

ReplyQuote
user_23
(@user_23)
31/07/2020 7:33 pm  

I'm still here, holed up in my little apartment with all my stuff and my laptop and my shopping list for my personal grocery-fetchers (daughter and son-in-law, bless their wonderful hearts).  

I'm with your friend on that scenario, tktoo.  I was just saying how Don-Don will throw his worst fit ever if/when he loses.  He'll ban masks in hopes that the pandemic will get everyone who didn't vote for him AND the people who did vote for him because they didn't vote hard enough.  He'll trash the White House, he'll file lawsuits against every member of the press & their employers (including Fox but not including his new favorite, AAON or whatever it is), he'll finish undoing all of Obama's good works, etc. etc. etc.  Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll stroke out in the first week after the election?

ReplyQuote
user_23
(@user_23)
31/07/2020 7:37 pm  

Something very beautiful to listen to if you need to escape for a bit (though it's kind of dark, i guess---go to youtube and search for Phillip Glass Metamorphosis 2  Anne Akiko Meyers 

bonus:  that is a beautiful new hall in Estonia, named for the Estonian composer Arvo Pärt.  I gotta go find some performances of his music now.  It's kind of like Phillip Glass in style. 

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
31/07/2020 8:20 pm  

Heh---oh, yeah.  It's the period after he loses and before the inauguration of his replacement that I'm worried about . . .

I'm trying a hack that I picked up online:  to avoid ads in YouTube videos, add a dot after the com.   It works sometimes, or for a while.  Let's see . . .

www.youtube.com./watch?v=7lJondUzeKk

Not this time, for me.   And, don't go for the Epoch Times, if that comes up . . .

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
31/07/2020 8:38 pm  

But, yeah---voting is going to be a problem too;  Repubs have blocked 4 $B in funds to the states to protect and upgrade their systems.  And yesterday Congress adjourned for the weekend, without moving on a new stimulus package (that the House passed in May).  They have less than a week more before going away again---until October ? Oy.  

ReplyQuote
user_23
(@user_23)
31/07/2020 9:57 pm  

trump has also put in place cutbacks in the USPS system, presumably to make it less reliable for mail-in ballots.  It's already wreaking havoc with mail delivery. I have a bunch of things on their way to me and all are delayed a couple of days so far--past the already longer ship times due to the pandemic staff shortages.  

SDR, I was all for avoiding trump campaign ads and those idiotic Epoch Times things---but then i looked it up read that advertisers only pay for the ads when they've been viewed!  So to help drain their ad budget without giving them any benefit at all to advertising, I mute the sound and let the ads run.  It's not much but it gives me a little bit of satisfaction.  

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
31/07/2020 10:01 pm  

Wow--I replied to a link to this thread that i got via Email, which is the same email on my account here---and somehow I show up as "user-23"??!  

I (as user-23) logged out, logged back on as Spanky, and now user-23 is a separate entity.  DA didn't even ask me for a password for that account.  

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
31/07/2020 10:15 pm  

I thought user_23 seemed somehow familiar! Good to read that at least some of the old gang are still kicking and, I hope, still stickin' it to The Man. Keep the faith!

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
31/07/2020 11:04 pm  

Hey, Spankity.  So now you've got an alias if you need one.  You can have conversations with yourself---carry on one-man flame wars if you like . . .?   

Let's see---why don't I have an avatar.  Hmm . . .

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
01/08/2020 4:54 am  

Okay---not two or three months away from their seats, but three weeks . . . just enough time for folks to fall behind in their rent,  or their meds,  or their car payment . . . and the complicated formulation of payment that Miller or Mnuchin want the states to deal with before those payments reach the people:  bad news.  How can they think the  President will be re-elected by angry, starving, possibly homeless voters ?

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
03/09/2020 5:14 pm  

@eva-2, You wouldn't have an older (but impeccably shod) Auntie Mark by any chance, would you?

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
03/09/2020 5:54 pm  

Hallebelujah !   Long lost souls reunite.  How's tricks ?  Is Monte Carlo open or shut, at this point ?

You haven't lived until you've seen "The Match Game Hollywood Squares Hour" (swallow that), with Gene Rayburn and Jon Bauman (late of Sha Na Na).   Hideous green and yellow lighted wonder-wall backdrop, toothy Rayburn and Bauman trading MC duties half-way through,  Rayburn ironically missing virtually every poser on the Hollywood Squares portion of the show.  Oddest  celebrity guest:  Nedra Bowles.  Huh ?

tktoo2 liked
ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
03/09/2020 8:54 pm  

do tell, @eva-2!  

meanwhile, some light entertainment: 

youtube.com/watch?v=RxDKW75ueIU

tktoo2 liked
ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
03/09/2020 9:09 pm  

That's our guy.  Or, gal---take your prick.   I mean, pick.  Luhv it . . .!

. . .

Big Orange---who knows

what he'll come up with next.  I'm

cringing.  Aren't we all ?

. . .

Phone calls:  I get 'em

from all over the country !

Political cash ?

. . .

I don't answer.  I

gave in 2016;  now 

it's 2020