Design Addict

Cart

What's the best sal...

What's the best sales / buying international plattform for vintage furniture?  

RSS

Browkin
(@browkin)
Famed Member
09/10/2021 5:17 pm  

Hi folks, 

I would like to come up with such topic. What do you think is the best sales (but also buying) plattform 

for vintage furniture? I know that every single country has their own national plattforms but I mean the international ones with access to international buyers and sellers. 

As far as I know there are 3 big ones: Etsy, Pamono, 1stdibs. Are there more?

What are your experiences with those? Either buying or selling...

This topic was modified 3 years ago by Browkin

Browkin
(@browkin)
Famed Member
09/10/2021 5:21 pm  

I am personally very happy with Etsy. Easy to navigate. Quick payment transactions. Good service. Good international radius. So overall my best experience so far. 

Maybe it's also worth to mention the Lauritz auctions plattform. I think with their half dozen branches they would belong to the biggest auctions companies for vintage furniture. Does anyone has experience with them? 

ReplyQuote
Elizabeth
(@elizabeth)
Active Member Admin
14/10/2021 4:22 pm  

Don't forget about us... Design Addict ;))))

Elizabeth - DA team

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
02/11/2021 4:46 pm  

Many 1stDibs dealers also sell on Chairish, Ive noticed. One good feature with Chairish is they include sold prices for many items at their /pinkbook url.  Berlin-based Pamono was acquired by San Francisco-based Chairish in August.  They plan to keep the sites separate for a while, but eventually the plan is to make all goods available on one site.  Chairish has about 580,000 products listed and Pamono has around 250,000.

ReplyQuote
Browkin
(@browkin)
Famed Member
02/11/2021 10:44 pm  

@mark737: Thank you, that's interesting info. I am offering at Pamono but with almost no results. Maybe it has something to do with their change in August. 

ReplyQuote
MadAboutMidCenturyModern
(@madaboutmidcenturymodern)
04/11/2021 11:58 am  

As well as all the great ones you ahve already mentioned there is Vinterior, Selency, Design Market... there's a good blog article on (link deleted by Admin) that lists all the best places to buy vintage furniture online with links. And Ebay obviously!

ReplyQuote
Elizabeth
(@elizabeth)
Active Member Admin
08/11/2021 9:56 am  

@MadAboutMidCenturyModern You must speak about Design Addict as well if you want to promote your article on our forum...

ReplyQuote
MadAboutMidCenturyModern
(@madaboutmidcenturymodern)
09/11/2021 3:04 pm  

Hi Elizabeth. I've updated the article and have included Design Addict. Should have been there in the first place! https://www.madaboutmidcenturymodern.com/shopping-for-vintage-mid-century-modern-furniture-online/

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
09/11/2021 6:58 pm  

The point of the forum is not to advertise your website, which is where the real issue lies. And it's something we are specifically sensitive to on this forum.

I can only speak for myself, not everyone else and certainly not Design Addict. But I would say that having a small business owner who's passionate about mid century design and has made it their livelihood; reselling it on a website, is a valuable member of the forum. However if that same person can't see the value in the forum, if they cannot post links to their website in every post, then they will undoubtedly be misunderstanding why there's a community here.

Here's to hoping you choose to continue getting involved!

Kyle

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
09/11/2021 8:21 pm  

Well put. I also feel a bit uncomfortable with the topic of sales platforms and not only because it is a pretty sensitive one. As can be seen. There are so many places where you can buy furniture, some are large, some are tiny, some are cheap, some expensive. Some are the little secret gem you better not mention to anyone. Others are Amazon. Who’s best? The one that has it all? The one that sells it for cheap? The one that offers free delivery? The one with the Wegner sofa you never thought you’d find just by googling? It would certainly be cool to read stories about what you‘ve all found for cheap, where you made a bargain or when you paid an enormous sum to get a piece you had been wanting for years. It’s also interesting to learn more about the internal structure of a house like Lauritz or Pamono. But a mere list of the biggest (and assumed best) online dealers maybe focuses a bit much on the buying and selling aspect and leads away from what I think this community is about. Just like discussing prices. But it may also be just me. 

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
10/11/2021 9:48 pm  
Posted by: Elizabeth

@MadAboutMidCenturyModern You must speak about Design Addict as well if you want to promote your article on our forum...

@elizabeth  Maybe Design Addict can take this opportunity to tout its sales platform and what sets you apart from the others mentioned.  For example, how a non-professional can sell items.  I'm sure there are members here who might be interested in selling an item from time to time.  And also, what your requirements are to sell as a professional dealer.    

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register