Design Addict

Cart

Vitzé or Vitré? Mad...

Vitzé or Vitré? Made in Denmark furniture. Any information?  

RSS

lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
12/02/2020 1:05 pm  

During a more recent search for "office in a box ", I must have used different key words because I found , what looks like ,a more pared down version of a cabinet with desk etc inside. It had a foil label with Vitré or Vitzé, Made in Denmark and the Danish control mark.

Lots more googling ; bedroom furniture,chests of drawers all with the same label.Most for sale in USA.

But most surprising was finding the sewing table/cart,  designed by Ejvind. A. Johansson ,(model R 101,usually associated with FBD mobler) also with the same foil label!

I then remembered a post from Mats Linder; A 1978 catalogue

http://www.matslinder.no/2016/01/07/nordisk-andels-export/

Scoll down and you will see the same cabinet and also a lot of the other furniture that I have mentioned above.

Images of cabinet and label I found ( foil label)and an image of info and logos for the Ejvind Johansson cabinet attached.

My question,finally: does anyone have any information on Vitzé/Vitré (  which is it? )  and does the logo on the bottom right from Mats page ring a bell with somebody??

1581509116-vitre-danish-teak-vintage-mid-century-folding-compact-desk-cabinet-8937.jpg
1581509172-vitze-vitre-label.jpg
1581509225-mats-linder-ejvind-johansen-makers-label-2.jpg
1581509542-Nordisk-andels-ejnid-johansson-desk-cabinet.jpg
This topic was modified 4 years ago 5 times by lexi

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
14/02/2020 4:23 pm  

I am pretty sure that is an ‘r’ so Vitré

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
14/02/2020 5:06 pm  

@leif-ericson. Thanks. That is my feeling too.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
15/02/2020 3:22 am  

Vitré is the confirmed spelling and the ownership appears to have been Robert Knudsen, Knud Børge Hjortshøj Quottrup, and Vagn Sigfred Larsen. Located in Viby J, which means it was another Aarhus area maker.  This information is from 1958.  

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
15/02/2020 9:13 am  

@leif-ericson. WOW.Super . I would never have found that information.

Would it be correct to assume that this logo is  for the Vitré company ?

1581754384-mats-linder-ejvind-johansen-makers-label.jpg

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
15/02/2020 2:43 pm  

Based on the format of that NAE catalog, I would agree that it is a solid assumption that logo belongs to Vitré. 

Back to a comment from your original post, the attribution of the EJ sewing cart to FDB is correct, in addition to Vitré as well. FDB was a cooperative, where multiple manufacturers produced for a common brand, which was marketed as affordable furniture to the public. I don’t have all of the names of the manufacturers that were part of this coop (I believe the Wegner/FDB J16 rocker was made by Tarm Stolefabrik), but we can add Vitré to the list. I’d guess that manufacturers occasionally entered and left the coop, which would explain why certain examples are marked differently. Here is the EJ sewing cart in the FDB 1968 catalog.

... on a tangent, Jutex was also a similar setup (not sure if officially a coop or just some type of collaborative), where Arne Hovmand Olsen designed many items, made by multiple manufacturers, for a single brand. Since AHO was also in charge of Jutex, it explains why you see his name associated with the design on most Jutex pieces, rather than the manufacturer’s stamp. He was obviously a good promoter of his name.

1581774320-6D8F2396-3BC1-4BAC-BBE5-9A253966B306.jpeg

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
15/02/2020 2:45 pm  

Second page

1581774355-8927B17C-B319-45B6-A537-B6E63E089661.jpeg

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
15/02/2020 3:10 pm  

@cdsilva. Thank you for sharing the catalogue pages.

With regard to some of the manufacturers within this coop,here is a reply posted by @herringbone in a thread I posted about Wegner's Peter's chair.

"I just happen to read that in 1944 six companies produced for FDB. Fritz Hansen Eftf., Aage Hundevad, CM Madsen, Soren Rasmussen, O. Strøjer and Tarm Stole- og Møbelfabriken. Remembered this thread and thought I‘d let you know."

...also on a tangent...that NAE catalogue has a couple of other interesting items; in particular the dining tables by Villy Sigh ( with the H.Sigh logo) and also the Poul Hallas tambour filing cabinet with Faarup logo.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
15/02/2020 3:37 pm  

Nordisk Andels Eksport was a cooperative as well the purpose of which was export, which is all in the name.  And yes, the logo in the bottom right must be Vitré.  Cooperative organizations like this were good for getting maker information since they didn’t hide it like many retailers did.

This is a bit off topic but in the list of early makers for FDB, Aage Hundevad is Hundevad and Co.  I am not immediately certain who Søren Rasmussen or O. Strøjer are. 

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
15/02/2020 10:56 pm  

I also don’t know them, but there were so many cabinetmakers and furniture factories out there, and many if not most of them disappeared without anybody remembering them. The list came from Nyt Tidsskrift for Kunstindustri.

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
15/02/2020 11:13 pm  

O. Strøjer is Oluf Strøjer Møbelfabrik I/S in Odense, which was a partnership with Ejnar Andreas Strøjer.

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
16/02/2020 1:26 am  

Oh yes, you are right. Skovgyden 27 was the address. Plus: In 1965 there were two cabinetmakers with the name Rasmussen in Odense, Georg and P J Rasmussen. One of them might have been Søren Rasmussen‘s son. But that is mere speculation, I find no proof for that right now. And it has got absolutely nothing to do with @lexi s question. 😁

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
16/02/2020 4:23 am  

Søren Rasmussen is such a painfully common name in Denmark that I would want to see some extra information before I would believe that any Søren Rasmussen is the one that built for FDB.  And SR could have been anywhere in Denmark, Copenhagen to the far ends of Jutland.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
16/05/2020 3:15 pm  

And here is a label for Strøjers Møbelfabrik, out of Odense; the newest mark in the collection.

1589634981-4E891719-7C82-4FE8-A149-99DC694669F0.jpeg

Herringbone and lexi liked
ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register