Cart

vitra who knows  

RSS

LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
27/06/2007 9:18 am  

does any one no the story behind Vitra Charles Eames and Herman miller . I was reading a magazine out of London and I personally think that it is differnt for me to see all of the Eames chairs that i know so well sighted made by Vitra or you can get this chair at Vitra . I know Eames had such a strong relationship with Herman Miller from the beginning when he started in the late 40's and still does.
When did he start doing business with Vitra? was it because at the time Herman Miller did not distrubite/manafacture out side of the USA. I know it has been established on this forum that many of the original designs although they look the same they are not, cause Vitra uses the metric system and somethings turn out different cause of that system .
I was curious if Herman Miller was supporative of the arrangement with Vitra and Eames or just had no control cause it was outside of the U.S.A. Does Herman Miller distribute now outside of the U.S.A. today ?

NULL NULL
(@zwipamoohotmail-com)
Noble Member
27/06/2007 10:19 pm  

is it not just that those...
is it not just that those two companies for logistic reasons has devided the world market into 2? miller for america, vitra; europe?

ReplyQuote
alexandersforum
(@alexandersforum)
Illustrious Member
27/06/2007 10:48 pm  

I think Vitra started to work with the designs of the Eames's 1957. Can't remember what the first product was, but my guess is the fiberglass chairs.
A different measure system is not really a reason the alter a design I think... Also, I actually think the earlier Vitra Eiffel bases did have the right proportions. The 'squashed by an elephant' look is more recent... Still, the fiberglass armshells has always had the wrong proportions.
But yes, -1957 I think. I'm sure you can read about it on the Vitra website.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@robvandrielgmail-com)
Trusted Member
27/06/2007 10:58 pm  

a little history
Willi Fehlbaum founded Vitra in 1950 in Germany. In 1957/8 Herman Miller transfers rights to Vitra to produce and distribute furniture designed by Charles & Ray Eames and George Nelson for Europe.
The first batches of European made Eames furniture are marked "Herman Miller Fehlbaum Production" (it says so on my old LCM).
http://www.vitra.com/about/about_neu.asp?lang=il_en&display=1

ReplyQuote
Modern Love
(@modern-love)
Illustrious Member
27/06/2007 11:05 pm  

Rolf Fehlbaum
The history between the Fehlbaums and the Eames is detailed in this book distributed by the Eames Office:
http://www.eamesgallery.com/cart/detail_prod.php?id=7

ReplyQuote
LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
28/06/2007 2:31 am  

great answers i appreciate ...
great answers i appreciate it .
so i guess now someone can give me a good answer to this one ,
How come
Howard miller stopped making the wonderful design clocks of George Nelson and are Vitras clocks of Nelsons designs considered reproductions or re issued ( hard to belive there is a difference when you are collecting ) I know Howard miller kept two designs and they are the best deal in the world. one is the original astrick clock you can buy it on the internt for around $55 U.S. dollars and the other is the the black ball clock for around $50.00 and they bear the Howard Miller name on them . I have bought several and the boxs says authorized by the estate of George Nelson . I wish Howard miller would reissue all of his clocks as for some reason Vitras cost around 300 to 400. for each .

ReplyQuote
barrympls
(@barrympls)
Illustrious Member
08/11/2007 6:33 pm  

Vitra clock reissues
There was a time gap of perhaps as much as 25 years from the time that Howard Miller discontinued the George Nelson clocks and the time that Vitra arranged with the Nelson estate to REISSUE a handful of wall and desk clocks.
Vitra decided to only do battery operated motors.
So, I think you can safely call them REISSUES.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register