Cart

a visit to Atelier ...

a visit to Atelier Orange  

RSS

rockland
(@rockland)
Illustrious Member
23/08/2009 11:20 pm  

To lose ones work place as Koen did is tragic.
To have the passion to re-build and still see it's future is inspiring.

Just wanted to post a link to what was lost...
And nice to know the production will continue after some hard work
rebuilding.

http://www.snoform.com/visit-to-atelier-orange-june-2/

rockland
(@rockland)
Illustrious Member
23/08/2009 11:22 pm  

A link
to the collection...
http://www.snoform.com/atelier-orange-collection/

ReplyQuote
dcwilson
(@dcwilson)
Illustrious Member
24/08/2009 12:03 am  

I want them all!
I really do love all these pieces.
Especially the stooped pitcher and the French butter dish.
Can DA take any credit for the flower vase? 🙂
Finally, can the salt cellar function as a sugar cellar?

ReplyQuote
koen
 koen
(@koen)
Illustrious Member
24/08/2009 1:25 am  

Sorry DC...
...but the vase existed long before we all contributed to the DA vase. I have to admit that the DA vase is a lot better.
By the way, I have no control over the publication of these pictures. I am sure that the photographer only had good intentions, but I would prefer a less public profile...The product pictures are my own but I do not mind someone else claiming copyright for them after all they were made to be seen.
It is a strange feeling to see pictures dating before the flooting. I will have to take it as an encouragement to bring it back to it's former "glory"

ReplyQuote
dcwilson
(@dcwilson)
Illustrious Member
25/08/2009 12:52 am  

Ah, trust me...
I was not seriously thinking the flower vase had any derivation from the DA vase.
You relying on us for a flower vase, would be like Picasso relying on us to do an oil for him.
But my question still stands, could the salt cellar be used for a sugar cellar, or would the sugar get clumped and hard too fast in such a container?
And again, I do love all of the pieces.
One more question: did you come up with the genuflecting pitcher as a new idea, or is their a long tradition of that sort of shape and you just did your take on it? That's the first time I have seen a tallish pitcher bent forward that way.

ReplyQuote
koen
 koen
(@koen)
Illustrious Member
25/08/2009 6:23 am  

I see no reason why..
...the salt cellar would not function as a sugar cellar. Yes there is a question of humidity. It is quite common to mix some rice with the salt in a salt shaker. There are also small terra cotta products to either add (brown sugar) or absorb moisture. We solved the problem by adding a spoon of which only the handle is glazed. The rest of the spoon is porous and absorbs excess moisture...so I think your sugar is safe.
As far as the jug is concerned. I can not give you any specific examples but an asymetrical jug is not new. I had two reasonsto do it. First of all there is a simple practical reason. To move the handle as much as possible over the centre of gravity just makes it easier to poor. Look at the efforts the hand makes while pooring a traditional jug. First you lift the jug and your hand and wrist are holding the weight back. Then you slowely release untill the handle is over the centre of gravity of the jug and contents. From there on your hand and your wrist are pushing or lifting the weight. My intention was to start at the point where the hand is over the centre of gravity and so when you poor, you just push.
The other reason is a technical one that has to do with the simple fact that most of products in the collection are a combination of unglazed stoneware and glazed porcelain. Those materials are melted together during the firing. They can not be assembled before that because of a serious difference in shrink. I do it succesfully when the two parts are in a vertical position, but in the case of an handle I can not let them slide onto each other in an horizontal mouvement, so a slight angle is needed....I think I have to illustrate this...
oh! by the way this is another one that I like very much, by Piet Stockman, one of the very best ceramic designers of this century

ReplyQuote
dcwilson
(@dcwilson)
Illustrious Member
26/08/2009 12:16 am  

Thanks for your usual lucid explanations...
Regarding the forward leaning pitcher: could some forward tilting carafe with handle over center of gravity be feasible for a contemporary coffee maker? It makes so much sense. And Braun, Krup et al try so many different gimmicks to give contemporary coffee makers new looks. This seems not to be a gimmick but rather a functional new look. Maybe Braun, Krup et al have tried this already in a coffee maker and I missed it.

ReplyQuote
Erik.H
(@erik-h)
Honorable Member
26/08/2009 1:01 am  

stockman(s)
check out Piet Stockmans website
http://www.pietstockmans.com/

ReplyQuote
koen
 koen
(@koen)
Illustrious Member
26/08/2009 3:53 am  

Dear DC
It certainly could be done but...the glass blowing technology has it's limitations. Most of the coffeemaker carafes are made in boro-silicate glass and mechanically blown. It could be done, but it certainly is more costly.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register